BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t taken the time to really go for a longer ride since I got the R9T so I’ve been looking forward to just getting out there and riding. I’ve thought long and hard about where I want to go. So this route shouldn’t be overly ambitious at around 300 miles. The plan is:
Pine
Guanella pass
Georgetown
Breckinridge
Guffy
Cripple Creek
Home
Plenty of twisties and no highway. Lots of mountain passes and short stretches between good places to stop. I’ll post pictures and details after. The plan is to leave fairly early tomorrow and just ride, take pictures, stop often and relax and enjoy the day.
Map World Atlas Parallel
Map World Atlas Parallel

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,199 Posts
Looks like a fun route, and you've described the makings for a great day -- fun roads with good plentiful opportunities to stop for rest, food, and hydration. Ride safe!! (y)

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
124 Posts
I have a few days scheduled in this area (in 10-days).
Plan to ride Pikes Peak a couple of times.
Is this route the best for corners (+ road conditions) in this area?
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a few days scheduled in this area (in 10-days).
Plan to ride Pikes Peak a couple of times.
Is this route the best for corners (+ road conditions) in this area?
Thanks for your input.
I don’t know about “best” but it has it’s share. From Woodland Park to Pine junction is twisty. A short stretch of 285 after that gets you to Guanella pass which is glorious. After Georgetown there’s a short stretch of I70 to Frisco and then nice road to Breckinridge. After Breck is Housier pass that is awesome. RT9 is twisty all the way to Guffy followed by really nice roads through Cripple Creek and back to 24. I think you would be hard pressed to be disappointed with the route but there are so many great roads in Colorado.
Look up Ridge road from Blackhawk to Estes Park. Then over Rocky Mountain National park.
Berthod pass rt40 to Winter Park.
Look up Bishops Castle. Getting there is nice.
You can do another loop from Colorado Springs to Canyon City and go over Skyline drive which I posted here before. Then Guffy, Cripple Creek and so on.
Poudre canyon is another nice ride.
You can also go up both Pikes Peak and Mt Evens .
Many many many great places to ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5 Pass Loop

Cliff notes:
5 passes
Car accident
Beautiful scenery
273 miles
R9T is great

The whole story:
I tried to do this ride a week before but responsibilities got in the way. This week I was determined and no matter what I was going.
Go I did. Left around 7 AM on Friday morning. I was wound up. I was annoyed. Ok, I was pissed off with the world. Rush hour traffic annoyed me further. The dim bulb that sat at the light with no one coming the other way was more than I could take. Handle bars went left. Right wrist went full down and we roared around her. She was txting.
This mood continued as we sloughed through the ever present, ever heavy traffic up the first pass. Utte. Utte Pass is highway 24 from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park. We managed to get through it with no further hooliganisms.
Taking a right towards 67 I stopped on a side street to put my rain jacket on. I just had my mesh jacket on and it was cold. At least once on 67 the traffic was gone. The words in my head were “gloriously alone.”
My mood started to improve. No traffic. No more morons. Just cruising on down towards Deckers all by myself. We kept pretty much to the speed limit enjoying the scenery and the empty roads. No plodding minivans showed up to screw up the two hairpins that I usually can’t enjoy at speed and no one even hindered me through the twisty sections after that.
Pulled into Deckers and the parking lot was relatively empty as well. One young guy on a KTM 890 adventure. I said “hello” and as we talked he told me he also has an R9T and had just rented the KTM for the day.
I had roads to get to and wished him a good ride and headed toward Pine. This is one of my favorite sections. It twists along the South Platte river and in its deserted state was awesome. After the road leaves the river it comes to HP Hill.
Horse Power hill is a beautiful two lane up, one lane down masterpiece with sweeping turns and a healthy bit of climbing for 2-3 miles. In days passed someone like me would crack the throttle wide open at the bottom and hold it there as long as you dared. Sometimes hitting 140-150 by the top.
But today I just cruised up not in that much of a hurry just having fun safely carving the turns and climbing up from the river. On the other side you get to Buffalo Creek and shortly after that through the most picturesque little valley to Pine.
Shortly after Pine the road gets tightly twisty and unless you are on a lighter more nimble sport bike you really don’t want to go much over the 35 mph speed limit. A young little girl coming the other way proved that point.
As I’m enjoying the bends and turns just after Pine, all of a sudden I see this little grey sedan coming the other way. The bend is sharp and it’s going to fast. The right front tire is folding over and just howling from the strain. I’m thinking “This isn’t going to be good.” I grab some brakes and drop a couple gears just from instinct. The car snapped left and then loses the rear end going into a spin. Bam! Into the banking on my side of the road not 50 feet in front of me. The car loops and comes to a stop facing away from the banking it just hit. On impact the right headlight assembly came spinning towards me and came to rest 20 feet behind me. I was that close.
Anyway the little, maybe 20 something gets out and I walked up to ensure she was ok. The seatbelts and airbags did their job and she was in shock but ok.
Several more people showed up to help and the authorities were called so I left and continued on. I was a bit shaken, but there were no physical injuries so that was good.
67 snakes it’s way to 285 which is also curvy and rural in that area so I enjoyed that stretch and used it to put the vehicular carnage behind me. Maybe 10 miles up the road Guenella pass appeared and I pealed off.
Guenella is everything you would expect from a Rocky Mountain pass. Twisty uphill winding road with several 10-15 mph hairpin turns followed by spectacular views. At the top I think the entire population of Georgetown was parked there. It is incredibly beautiful and people must come up to hike. A brief stop for pictures and I headed down the other side to Georgetown. Pass number two complete.
A quick splash and dash at the Circle K and then I turned west on the 10-11 mile piece of I70 to get to Pass number three. Loveland.
Loveland pass was by now the same old boring Colorado type pass. Twisty uphill. Hairpins. Awesome scenery. Blah, blah, blah. Yawn. I’m joking. Loveland is amazing as well and now we are in the real Rocky Mountains. Above tree line at 1100 feet and almost to 12000 on top at 11991. The highest I got to all day. A camera does not do justice to that panoramic beauty.
Down the other side you pass A Basin and then Keystone ski areas. Still open for tourists and mountain bikers but always waiting for the first snow that brings the skiers back.
Just before Dillon I decided to go around the east side of Dillon reservoir and took Swan Mountain road. Very pretty and if you stop at the top and, heaven forbid, hike a short distance you can get to an incredible overlook of the reservoir.
I did no such foolishness and head down the other side to Breckinridge. Quickly through Breck and a few miles on you get to pass number four. Hoosier. It’s less viewy as some but you do get the requisite hairpins and turns and the valley on the other side is properly scenic.
From there you hit Alma the highest incorporated town in the US. Then FairPlay where South Park (the cartoon) was born. After FairPlay you turn off 285 again and cross through the high plains that actually are South Park and up to pass number five for this trip. Wilkerson.
Wilkerson is relatively plain compared to the previous ones but it’s a relief to get there after the long stretch of boringness that is South Park. (There is a Middle and North Park but no East and West that I am aware of.)
By now I was getting tired and sore from riding the previous 200ish miles so I stopped at the top to use the facilities and to lay flat on the sidewalk to realign my aching back. This chiropractic procedure got me ok enough to make the last 70 miles back home.
273 total door to door. The R9T performed flawlessly and I enjoyed getting out on a more substantial ride. I was a bit sore from the saddle and from the abuse my body took in my younger days but overall it was a good ride. The lack of wind protection doesn’t bother me. Most of the trip was 50 or less with the passes and twisty bits more in the 35-40 range with only I70 at 75 and South Park at 70. I definitely will swap out the seat for a better one but the R9T will never be a touring bike. These short trips through the mountains are what it is made for. Anything longer or multi-day I’ll give in to my age induced softness and take my F Type. AC, comfy seats and wind and rain protection are better but I’ll do a few more shorter trips which is just fine.
Pics in next post.

·
Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
124 Posts
Well, BHF; you do not give yourself enough credit.
I rode your route today (but, as suggested by others; took Loveland pass vs, rte. 70: which was great).
This route is fantastic! 275 miles of shear bliss: incredible scenery and great curves. G. Pass is one of the best roads I have ever ridden. I have been thanking you all day. Now, I have to sleep for 10-hours.

Sky Cloud Fuel tank Land vehicle Wheel

Cloud Sky Tire Mountain Wheel

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Vehicle

Sky Cloud Plant Tire Wheel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts