BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
How do you guys fill up? Do you stick the whole pump in the tank like a car or have it barely in so you can see it fill up? If in like a car will it stop before it overflows?

You can safely insert it further as today's nozzles have a auto shutoff that works pretty good. I just wouldn't squeeze the handle full bore to avoid any spray when it does stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
So uh, my 9T is flicking on the reserve light after ~80-90 miles, and it will only take 2 gallons, standing upright. Something is amiss.
Probably needs calibration at the dealer. No idea why BMW didn't put a fuel gauge readout on the 9T??

Reactions: jkmalo and tofur

·
Registered
430 Posts
I seem to recall most of us were getting around 100-125 mi before the low fuel light came on. Mine came on today around 115 mi and I put almost exactly 4 gallons in. That's pretty much what I've found to be consistent between tanks (depending on "riding style") an dI know I could have riden around for at least another 25 mi or so.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
I have no idea, Ducati didn't put one on their new monster either. Seems a bit ridiculous that a bike can have ABS and traction control yet no fuel gauge.
There must be some sort of gauge in the tank for it to know when to activate the fuel light or when it pulls from reserve. Lack of oil temp and fuel level is very annoying feature on the 9T, yet they give comparatively useless info such as consumption and avg speed :confused:

On the same engine in the GS, oil takes about 7-10 minutes before you can start going hard. This bike should have an oil temp readout.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So uh, my 9T is flicking on the reserve light after ~80-90 miles, and it will only take 2 gallons, standing upright. Something is amiss.
Sorry to revive an old-ish topic. I'm having the same "issue". I went on a long roadtrip today and the light came on pretty consistently when I had used 2 gallons. How did you fix this? I'm taking the bike in for 600 miles service next week, I suspect they can take care of that for me?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Is it possible you are not filling it up enough? Have to have the bike level (I sit on it and put the nozzle in while holding it straight), Notice there is a LOT of room to fill width wise, at the bottom of the red fuel opening. I myself am a bit confused on where to stop the filling. At the bottom of the red plastic, or higher. I fill it higher, about 2/3 the way up the red tube. I have done many 150 mile rides at one time, and the light never came on. Haven't ridden it further at one time yet. I always fill it up after a ride like that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah I fill it up typically to half of the red tube. The red tube is only a fraction of the capacity of the tank so it shouldn't have that much of an impact... I looked up the tank capacity today and it said 18L + 3L which is 5.5 gallons. Light comes on after 2 gallons used up? Super weird. It makes me nervous to ride with the light on, I wish it came on with .5 gallons left which would be a solid ~20 miles left

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
The 9T tank only holds 18 ltrs total 3 litres are the reserve range only meaning you have 15 ltrs of usable range before it reverts to the reserve 3 ltrs and a possible 20-30 mile range on reserve only ;)
You have to fill the tank each time to make sure the reserve part in the tank gets filled ,a fuel strip can fail and leave the reserve light on permanently which is obviously a warranty issue ,but if you ride your tank with the mileometer (clocks) and make sure you fill up after every 130-150 miles depending on riding style you shouldn't end up pushing your bike to the nearest fuel station,I adopt this and never wait for the reserve light to let me know I'm low ;)
I always sit n fill my tank to get the max in and fill 1 " from top of the red breather pipe in the tank, but have also drilled two extra breather holes in the red insert to help the tank breath quicker whilst filling ,but don't over fill the tank and then put on the side stand and walk away ,or the extra fuel will just flow out of the overflow pipe and puddle under your bike :eek:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sorry to revive an old-ish topic. I'm having the same "issue". I went on a long roadtrip today and the light came on pretty consistently when I had used 2 gallons. How did you fix this? I'm taking the bike in for 600 miles service next week, I suspect they can take care of that for me?
My dealership contacted bmw in germany and they sent a new reserve fuel sensor (thats the best I can describe it, sry). It's not as bad now, when the light comes on I can fill it about 3 gallons while it's sitting upright. Still too early in my opinion but it's better then before where it would come on after like 70-80 miles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Side question on this topic, doesn't the 1200GS models actually report how much estimated gas/milage is left in the tank. Basically, the same as say most modern bmw cars?

Is there anyway accessory for the nine t to handle this? The current gas milage metrics are fairly worthless to me right on the dash, would be nice to at least even have a simple chart showing fuel level.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Side question on this topic, doesn't the 1200GS models actually report how much estimated gas/milage is left in the tank. Basically, the same as say most modern bmw cars?

Is there anyway accessory for the nine t to handle this? The current gas milage metrics are fairly worthless to me right on the dash, would be nice to at least even have a simple chart showing fuel level.
I just use the trip odometer and reset it every time I fill up. Also helps you ignore how many miles you're racking up, I clicked over the to main odo the other day and nearly choked.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good point, I do this on my Harley bike as its got a tiny tank on it. I assume around 150miles/240km it's time to start looking for petrol?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was thinking that the light was coming on too soon, so I chose to ignore it on the last go round. It turned on and I rode for another 20 miles before stopping for gas. I put 4.81 gallons in the tank!

I promise to heed the light from now on.

·
Registered
492 Posts
After 1200km (745 miles), at all sorts of revs, my 9TEE's fuel consumption seems to have settled for 5.3ltr/100km (44.38MPG).

Reserve light comes on at about 280km (173 miles), I should get 340 km (211 miles) out of one fill .... haven't tried yet ;)
I'm in tank number 3 now.

First full tank yielded me 170 km -then the fuel light came on

Second and third tank were both at 230 km

Weird that I'm not getting the same ad others.

Oh , and I fill up to 15 point something liters each time as well.

I just did some quick math.

My odo says I've done approx a little over 650km

Which matches my fuel consumption because:

Tank one: 170 km
Tank two : 230 km
Tank three: 230 km

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm in tank number 3 now.

First full tank yielded me 170 km -then the fuel light came on

Second and third tank were both at 230 km

Weird that I'm not getting the same ad others.

Oh , and I fill up to 15 point something liters each time as well.

I just did some quick math.

My odo says I've done approx a little over 650km

Which matches my fuel consumption because:

Tank one: 170 km
Tank two : 230 km
Tank three: 230 km
This is a little bit awkward for me because the U.S., for whatever reason, refuses to go metric. I'm also a literature professor, though the son of two math teachers. That said, I'll give it my best.

The tank volume measures, as a whole, 4.8 gallons (or 18 liters). So, if you're putting in 15 liters, I would guess you're coming close to filling the tank without quite filling it. Do you sit on the bike while fueling, so that it's level or fill it while it leans on the side stand? I don't like sitting on a bike while fueling, so I fill it while leaning, then hold it as level as I can while I add the last little bit of fuel.

The low fuel light coming on at 230 km (or 143 miles) makes sense to me. When I was doing predominately city riding, mine regularly came on at 150 miles. I could then get about 15 more miles (or 24 km) before it became imperative that I get gas (petrol, not the farts >:)). At that point, I usually put in 4 gallons (or, in liters, right about what you're putting in—15.15).

If I'm riding on the highway/interstate at a consistent speed, my low fuel light doesn't come on until ~190 miles (or 305 km), and I've been able to get 25 more miles (40 km) before filling up, at which point I added nearly the whole tankful of ~4.7 gallons.

Why your fuel light came on so early on the first tank is mystifying, though I seem to remember something similar with my first tank, actually. But that was many beers ago. It seems like now it's coming on at an expected level of fuel consumption. I'm betting your third, fourth, and hundredth tank will net you similar results.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Testing my tank from full to empty, so far 250kms and no light.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Testing my tank from full to empty, so far 250kms and no light.
My light usually comes on at the 200km mark of spirited country riding and then about 80kms remaining. I learnt the hard way, luckily I could syphon from a mate on a GSA :)

Reactions: 1561
21 - 40 of 45 Posts