BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
This is a little bit awkward for me because the U.S., for whatever reason, refuses to go metric. I'm also a literature professor, though the son of two math teachers. That said, I'll give it my best.

The tank volume measures, as a whole, 4.8 gallons (or 18 liters). So, if you're putting in 15 liters, I would guess you're coming close to filling the tank without quite filling it. Do you sit on the bike while fueling, so that it's level or fill it while it leans on the side stand? I don't like sitting on a bike while fueling, so I fill it while leaning, then hold it as level as I can while I add the last little bit of fuel.

The low fuel light coming on at 230 km (or 143 miles) makes sense to me. When I was doing predominately city riding, mine regularly came on at 150 miles. I could then get about 15 more miles (or 24 km) before it became imperative that I get gas (petrol, not the farts >:)). At that point, I usually put in 4 gallons (or, in liters, right about what you're putting in—15.15).

If I'm riding on the highway/interstate at a consistent speed, my low fuel light doesn't come on until ~190 miles (or 305 km), and I've been able to get 25 more miles (40 km) before filling up, at which point I added nearly the whole tankful of ~4.7 gallons.

Why your fuel light came on so early on the first tank is mystifying, though I seem to remember something similar with my first tank, actually. But that was many beers ago. It seems like now it's coming on at an expected level of fuel consumption. I'm betting your third, fourth, and hundredth tank will net you similar results.
Thanks

I'm not sure where I read on this forum that people ate are getting about 300 km with city driving.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Whyara; that chart's a bit detailed - no? ;)

I'm wondering if you notice a big difference in fuel consumption in relation to different Octane-rating fuels you use?

Here we really only have access to 95, and some Petrol Stations in main towns & cities offer 98 ..... but it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference in consumption (judging from the elapsed 11000km)

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's an online fuelling logbook - once you are registered you only have to enter your fuelling (quantity & price) the software will do the rest !

For me the 9T is a toy, so I'm never interrested in fuel consumption.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just for additional perspective i set the trip odometer last time i filled up (have only owned the bike since Nov) and it hit 160 miles with no light coming on, at that point i lost my nerve and filled up. The tank on side stand took almost 4 US gallons. My riding is on back roads at a brisk but easy pace. I know my fuel sender worked as it came on before - i think i will do as others and track miles then start looking for a decent gas station around 120.

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
328 Posts
I learned the hard way and pushed motorcycle about three miles on foot down the side of a busy highway. It was brand new and tricked me, it quit at 156 miles, I now set trip meter on fill up but have also lost my nerve. I rode 125 miles and low fuel warning never showed, it must be getting better fuel mileage now that it has broken in. The onboard computer says average is 46 mpgs'. I really don't care about millage but I live in middle of nowhere, It's very easy to be more than 50 miles from fuel so I watch very closely.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts