BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I spotted a beautiful (at least in the pics…) used R9t, ‘16 model from a bmw dealer. Less than 10.000 km on it, regularly serviced by bmw dealer. Since I’m new to this bike, could you pls enlighten me about particular things to check? Is it a good year, comments, advices?
thanks in advance
paolo

· Premium Member
1,212 Posts
The R nine T is a solid bike.. very reliable engine.

As long as it had it's services and comes with complete history, i would not worry about it and buy it if you like.
The one you are showing has an Aluminium tank (that's an upgrade over the stock tank)

The only thing i would haggle off the price is a set of new tires (if those are from 2016 they are too old). And a full fluid change (oil, brake, cardan).

· Registered
46 Posts
the r9t does not have any known weak points that you should have an eye on, the engine and drivetrain is a well established concept that got only slight updates over the years which means it is very reliable. if it does not have any damages then you can buy it no problem. ask for a fresh service and consider replacing the tyres if its still the first set, like chris already mentioned.

· Registered
2018 R1200RT - 2015 RNineT
350 Posts
Beautiful bike

The early bikes can develop an electrical short due to a loom being too tight at or near the steering head. You may want to go here and read the entire thread so you know what to look for. I'm sure your dealer will deny any knowledge but BMW has a repair kit to fix it.
CLICK HERE FOR LOOM ISSUE THREAD

· Registered
2016 R9T Classic
17 Posts
Hi everybody, I spotted a beautiful (at least in the pics…) used R9t, ‘16 model from a bmw dealer. Less than 10.000 km on it, regularly serviced by bmw dealer. Since I’m new to this bike, could you pls enlighten me about particular things to check? Is it a good year, comments, advices? thanks in advance paolo
Paolo I purchased my 2016 last September with 8,200km almost like yours….like Chris said change all fluids…because the bike is now 6 years old my battery is poor and needs change…tires not to bad but need change…this summer I will change brake and clutch fluids….my bike has aluminum tank and cowl,alarm system these are options previous owner added…I purchased it for $11,200 Canadian if this helps….these bikes are pretty good

· Registered
2019 Scrambler Option 719, 2013 K1600GTL,
494 Posts
Welcome to the asylum. I say buy the bike, ride it and if something goes wrong, fix it. You are really not likely to run into any problems.

· Registered
3 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
I had that loom issue on my 2015. Bike still started and ran but no instruments. It was simply solved by reconnecting the wires and putting some tape over it. Took all of 5 minutes to fix.

These bikes are solid. I've been through 2 batteries but the bike does sit in the garage more than I'd like. New tyres will transform the bike! Buy it!!

· Registered
166 Posts
I bought a low mileage '14 that was last registered in '16 last year. Immediately changed all the fluids except the mineral oil in the clutch and will be doing that soon. Make sure you've got the right filter wrench on hand before you do the first oil change. It was a surprise to me that you needed a wrench not only to take these off, but to put them on as well. The only issues:

The tires were original 2014's and cupped very quickly.

The brake fluid was contaminated. It had some gelatinous chunks floating in the reservoir that were harder than they needed to be to clean out. The glass window was clouded as a result, but it cleaned right up.

The bike used about 3/4 liter of oil during the first 3500 miles I put on it, but stopped using excess oil somewhere between 6000 miles and 7000 miles. Reading the forum, this appears to be normal for these bikes.

The wiring loom thing referenced above is real. It happened to me while riding. At first the tachometer started reading really high, then the instrument panel out cut out anytime I turned the handlebar to the left. The fix is easy. If you have a good hardware store that has the waterproof crimp and solder butt end connectors, the repair should last as long as the wires do: 84-2929 - Crimp Solder & Seal Butt Connectors, 22 - 18 Gauge Good news was that the bike would start and run normally without the instrument panel working.

The battery is weak, but holding it's own (it was always kept on a battery tender, and I'm still using one when I store it). That's next up on my list of things to take care of. It's always just a little bit slow to crank when starting, but it's never let me down.

Other than that, the bike has been very solid. Zero leaks. And SO MUCH FUN!

I'd highly recommend you take the plunge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts