BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW r nineT Urban GS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys,

I just wanted to run this by you since I just started looking for my first set of TKC80 tires in years!
I have a 2021 UGS so I called my local BMW shop and they quoted me $248.95 for a front and $303.00 for a rear....plus install, $50 for both if I bring the wheels in or $135.00 if I bring the bike in. Since I don't have all the stands and experience with this bike, I'd rather bring them the bike and ride away knowing they worked on it with the proper tools.
Anyway, I went online and the prices are quite a bit less so what gives?
Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RCB, it's not a problem of difficulty...I was just wondering if $550.00 plus tax and installation is the going rate in general. If I buy the tires outside the dealership, they'll charge me $159.00 to install them
Either way it seems like it'll be $550.00 plus tax give or take.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,768 Posts
Tire prices are almost always going to be higher at a dealership, whether it's motorcycles or automotive. I've very rarely bought tires at the dealer shop, mostly because of the sky high prices for tires and labor.

Do you have any riding buddies who have a tire installer at home? I know at least one guy who has a tire changer at home and does his own tire changes, plus helps friends with their own tires sometimes. I've never wanted to invest in the tools myself, but it isn't rocket science.

Also, it's possible to get one wheel at a time off an R9T without spending crazy money on stands. There are some good methods described and with photos here on the forum. Even if you can't find someone to help with the tire changes, maybe you could find a way to get even one wheel off the bike at a time so you can buy the tires cheaper online and take the wheels into another shop to get the new tires mounted.

NOTE: If you go the route of buying tires elsewhere and taking your wheels to a local motorcycle shop (BMW or otherwise), call ahead to make sure they'll do that work even if you didn't buy the tires there. Some shops have policies stating all the parts installed (including tires) have to be bought there, too.

Here's a good video on changing your own tires without having any kind of machine to help. I've not done this, but I've thought about it. 😉

·
Registered
172 Posts
Shoot, just because a person has spent a bunch of money on motorcycles, doesn't mean you don't look for value in repairs, @RCB! And changing tires is pretty hard work--I know, I've done it. Oddly enough, the smaller front one can be much harder than the rear because there's less give, it seems. Anyway, here's what I do these days: I call a local motorcycle repair shop I trust (NOT the dealer!), ask them to give me a price on the tires I want. They are usually about the same price as, say, Revzilla. I let them buy them for me and I usually just take the wheels to them for installation while I wait. All around, a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's what I do, too, arfngdog. I order my tires online (Revzilla) to save a few dollars, take off my wheels, and then bring them to my local dealer to install, Everybody wins.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys...I don't wanna be banned again :D
I just wanted to hear your opinions on the tires' price, I'm sure most have gone through at least one set recently.
Here's the main reason for my "market" check:
At the dealership $735.15 for tires, tax and install
Online tires and install at the dealership $541.00

That is a chunk of change man, and now I know.....and maybe you know too:p
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tire prices are almost always going to be higher at a dealership, whether it's motorcycles or automotive. I've very rarely bought tires at the dealer shop, mostly because of the sky high prices for tires and labor.

Do you have any riding buddies who have a tire installer at home? I know at least one guy who has a tire changer at home and does his own tire changes, plus helps friends with their own tires sometimes. I've never wanted to invest in the tools myself, but it isn't rocket science.

Also, it's possible to get one wheel at a time off an R9T without spending crazy money on stands. There are some good methods described and with photos here on the forum. Even if you can't find someone to help with the tire changes, maybe you could find a way to get even one wheel off the bike at a time so you can buy the tires cheaper online and take the wheels into another shop to get the new tires mounted.

NOTE: If you go the route of buying tires elsewhere and taking your wheels to a local motorcycle shop (BMW or otherwise), call ahead to make sure they'll do that work even if you didn't buy the tires there. Some shops have policies stating all the parts installed (including tires) have to be bought there, too.

Here's a good video on changing your own tires without having any kind of machine to help. I've not done this, but I've thought about it. 😉

Thanks for the info and video TimC!
Yeah, I'm not afraid of tackling a tire change but right now I don't have the tools to do it. I'm new to BMW bikes so I don't feel comfortable yet with removing that rear wheel and all that.
Anyway, maybe next time I'll have a little shop set up, that's how I roll:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Dealers charge more for tires, but they also pay more for tires than the large mail order places. I had a moto shop for about 15 years, and there were times were the large mail order places were selling tires, delivered, for less than what I pay for them at cost. I understand volume discounts, but there should never be a situation where my cost is higher than someone else'e retail. That just hurts the local shops that are providing local support.

That being said, the TKC80 is an expensive tire. If you aren't the type of person who rides to the limit on street, have a serious look at the Shinko 804/805 . I've run several sets of TKC80's before, but have switched over to the Shinko as it is 90% of the tire for 60% of the price and last about the same mileage for my uses.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealers charge more for tires, but they also pay more for tires than the large mail order places. I had a moto shop for about 15 years, and there were times were the large mail order places were selling tires, delivered, for less than what I pay for them at cost. I understand volume discounts, but there should never be a situation where my cost is higher than someone else'e retail. That just hurts the local shops that are providing local support.

That being said, the TKC80 is an expensive tire. If you aren't the type of person who rides to the limit on street, have a serious look at the Shinko 804/805 . I've run several sets of TKC80's before, but have switched over to the Shinko as it is 90% of the tire for 60% of the price and last about the same mileage for my uses.
I own a small business too and that's why these things make red flags go up right away...I did the math, the difference is not one I can make a compromise on and give my business to a local shop, at least on the tires. I'll give them the labor.
I've been reading about the Shinkos and thank you for the first hand review, I may have to give them a try although they are not far off in cost from the TKC80s anymore. I like how you put it, "90% of the tire for 60% of the price".
As always, thank you for your input GapRunr!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Shinko's are discounted twice a year. Shinktoberfest and Shinko de Mayo. Even if you aren't ready for a set at that time it's worth it to get a set to have handy. I just checked my usual tire ordering place and wow, the Shinko's have gone up. In the summer of 2020 I pad $147 CDN for the rear Shinkos. Todays price is $210 CDN. Yowza!

·
Administrator
13,058 Posts
I am absolutely HOPELESS at changing tyres. I used to nip the inner tubes every time I attempted it! My mate would then come along, give me a good ribbing for being useless, then grab his tyre irons and would have completed the entire job (without issue) 15 minutes later.

I've not even attempted trying to change the tyres on the 9T (or any of my last few bikes) as (to be honest) I think I'd just make a mess of the wheel rim and it's easier and cheaper (in the long run) to buy the tyres mail order discount, then remove the wheels from the bike and take the tyres and wheels to a local shop and get them to do it. Still saves me money compared to dealer supply/fit and the end result is just the same.

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
507 Posts
I'm with @BaldyDave on this. I've changed the rear tire once on my 9T, that was enough for me to decide to buy the tires from RevZilla, take off both wheels, and take the wheels & new tires to the local shop and have them mount and balance them.

Best,
-Tim

Reactions: NA2SA

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not sure if you have a Cycle Gear shop in your area but if you buy a tire from them they will mount and balance the tire for $25. The wheels have to be off the bike. I would buy your tires online and look for a local shop that will mount and balance your tires which will be much cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
2019 R nineT Scrambler: enhanced by Ohlins, Pirelli, SW-Motech, Unit Garage & 8-Racing
90 Posts
I agree with most posters, buy your tires from non-dealer retailer. Odd that the dealership adds a surcharge for non-purchased from them tire install.
Yes, they should charge more for mounting tires on wheels either already removed from or still on the bike, as that is directly related to labor/time.
However, it shouldn't cost you more if you bring in your own tires, as lot of GS owners swap out their tires during the season, at the dealership vs trying to mount and balance correctly at home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shinko's are discounted twice a year. Shinktoberfest and Shinko de Mayo. Even if you aren't ready for a set at that time it's worth it to get a set to have handy. I just checked my usual tire ordering place and wow, the Shinko's have gone up. In the summer of 2020 I pad $147 CDN for the rear Shinkos. Todays price is $210 CDN. Yowza!
Yup, told you...
Thanks for the data on the sales dates...Shinko de Mayo is funny!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am absolutely HOPELESS at changing tyres. I used to nip the inner tubes every time I attempted it! My mate would then come along, give me a good ribbing for being useless, then grab his tyre irons and would have completed the entire job (without issue) 15 minutes later.

I've not even attempted trying to change the tyres on the 9T (or any of my last few bikes) as (to be honest) I think I'd just make a mess of the wheel rim and it's easier and cheaper (in the long run) to buy the tyres mail order discount, then remove the wheels from the bike and take the tyres and wheels to a local shop and get them to do it. Still saves me money compared to dealer supply/fit and the end result is just the same.
I never tried changing my own tires but at this rate, I might as well invest in the tools and learn how to!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure if you have a Cycle Gear shop in your area but if you buy a tire from them they will mount and balance the tire for $25. The wheels have to be off the bike. I would buy your tires online and look for a local shop that will mount and balance your tires which will be much cheaper than the dealer.
I have a CG in town, the dealership would charge me the same if I bring the tires and wheels in....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with most posters, buy your tires from non-dealer retailer. Odd that the dealership adds a surcharge for non-purchased from them tire install.
Yes, they should charge more for mounting tires on wheels either already removed from or still on the bike, as that is directly related to labor/time.
However, it shouldn't cost you more if you bring in your own tires, as lot of GS owners swap out their tires during the season, at the dealership vs trying to mount and balance correctly at home.
Yeah, that rubbed me off the wrong way too....punishment for not buying from them. Labor is labor. Anyway, the best bang for the buck is to get deals on tires online and bring the wheels or bike into the dealership.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts