BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm turning my mind to how I might heat some water for a cuppa or do some simple cooking without taking a small stove with me..... and was wondering if anyone has used the motor as a heat source with any success?

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler due March
297 Posts
No Starbucks around then???

·
Registered
2013 R1200GSA 2021 Urban GS
43 Posts
Back in the day with Uncle Sam, we used to pop a couple of small vent holes in our C rations and wire it onto part of the exhaust system of our tanks. Worked like a charm.

The Army did come out with disposable sterno cans. There were half the size of a soup can. Might be worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
R9teees
642 Posts
I'm turning my mind to how I might heat some water for a cuppa or do some simple cooking without taking a small stove with me..... and was wondering if anyone has used the motor as a heat source with any success?
I have warmed stuff up like the boil in the bag and 90 second microwave meals but that’s about all it seems works. Just easier to invest in a good thermos or a micro stove.
We used to cook on our land rover as we traveled. The best pork tenderloins I’ve eaten. 75 miles per side.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT /5
130 Posts
You need one of these. Open the smoke box door( the door under the chimney) and pop in your dish of choice. Roast leg of lamb, beef stew, braised chicken, chilli, jacket potatoes, whatever takes your fancy!!!!!! Cooking on a boxer engine…..no that’s what brakes and a bank card are for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
566 Posts
:unsure: I am not sure if you are refering to cook using engine heat while it is running or only take residual heat when you stop engine. First I think is not very good to engine (overheating engine, air cool engine needs fresh air while riding).

Second one is possible. Heat a coffee or similar:

Wheel Tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Also to heat/dry gloves is the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a side pannier and keep all ingredients for a cowboy coffee and camping lunch. All fits in with room for tools, first aid kit and spare rucksack if I buy something. Wild camped a lot on the scrambler with a rucksack.Perfect for mini adventures.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Realistically not going to happen without seriously overheating your engine if stationary or if moving you will have to have fabricated some kind of bracketry to hold a non spill metal container. For some years now any ride out of Sydney I do particularly if for a few days or out on dirt roads, I carry a small hiking stove and a stainless billy can, water etc. Have yet to carry that gear on the R9T but when doing real rides on my GS Adv it's a normal thing to do. I have a growing collection af hiking stoves ranging from metho, propane/butane, shellite/petrol etc. Just bear in mind any discussion of hiking stoves in a US based forum that the names we use for different fuels are not the same names the Americans use. What we call "gas" is not what Americans call it, etc.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,768 Posts
There was a Thanksgiving themed episode of the TV show "Mythbusters" years ago where they had guest celebrity chef Alton Brown (host of "Good Eats") on the show, and they prepared food to cook on top of and around the engine of an older big American car, I think a Cadillac, which they were driving to a destination for Thanksgiving dinner. They packed most of the items in foil and when necessary I think they secured them somehow. The stopped a couple times to check on the food and maybe turn a couple things over so they'd cook more throroughly. If I remember correctly everything come out great.

As for cooking on an R9T, I don't think it's possible. But you could perhaps warm up a steel thermos of coffee, tea, or soup when you stop, by resting the bottom of the thermos on top of the cylinder head, like @Lelc2 showed above with that cup. You might have to idle the engine for a few minutes, while also making sure the thermos doesn't fall off due to the engine's vibrations. It's an intriguing thought, but personally I'd rather just take my break where I can buy some hot food or beverage and have a place to sit down and relax for 10-15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts
Realistically not going to happen without seriously overheating your engine if stationary or if moving you will have to have fabricated some kind of bracketry to hold a non spill metal container. For some years now any ride out of Sydney I do particularly if for a few days or out on dirt roads, I carry a small hiking stove and a stainless billy can, water etc. Have yet to carry that gear on the R9T but when doing real rides on my GS Adv it's a normal thing to do. I have a growing collection af hiking stoves ranging from metho, propane/butane, shellite/petrol etc. Just bear in mind any discussion of hiking stoves in a US based forum that the names we use for different fuels are not the same names the Americans use. What we call "gas" is not what Americans call it, etc.
Yup:

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts
You need one of these. Open the smoke box door( the door under the chimney) and pop in your dish of choice. Roast leg of lamb, beef stew, braised chicken, chilli, jacket potatoes, whatever takes your fancy!!!!!! Cooking on a boxer engine…..no that’s what brakes and a bank card are for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait - we have that in Texas:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Hood Window

Wheel Sky Tire Cloud Vehicle

Now, you just need a trailer hook on the R Nine T, no? I also like the exhaust pipe…

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thankyou for the replies and thoughts..... there are a couple of trips I hope to do this year where one can't have a camp fire and I'd be there for more than one day.... and was hoping not to have to take a small one burner cooker of some type..... plus I am trying to carry as little as possible. Will have to try .... say some sausages wraped in foil maybe.... heating water is probally a thing I will think about.... only really need to get it to 80c or so.....mmm maybe the oil feed to the oil cooler.... some copper tube ..... insulated container frame mounted.....

You think with all the fancy rocker covers someone would have madei one with a BBQ griddle and lid by now.....

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

·
Registered
245 Posts
...options are out there. A wee bit of modification and ingenuity will get you something functional.

Muff Pot

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

This cooked meat and veggies nicely. 60-100km depending on your heat output. You will need to dial that in. The key here is to cut the meat into this strips. Muff Pot looks promising

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts
...options are out there. A wee bit of modification and ingenuity will get you something functional.

Muff Pot

View attachment 150282

This cooked meat and veggies nicely. 60-100km depending on your heat output. You will need to dial that in. The key here is to cut the meat into this strips. Muff Pot looks promising
That Muff Pot thing is hilarious! I’ll screw that on the outside of my valve covers, just to have the looks of the 1800cc engine😂

1 - 20 of 55 Posts