BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I went to gas station, put on latex glove, filled my tank, disposed of the glove and went on a nice ride, avoiding contact with people.
It was near 70 degrees the other day here.
I had some premium gasoline in the garage, so I did not have to touch much for my ride. With the car, it’s a different story!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Things are getting weird for many folks around the world, with countries going in lockdowns, with businesses and services shutting down, and a world economy that’s sputtering. I wanted to start a new discussion on how you are all coping, and more specifically, how (and if) your R9T helps you deal with these stressful times. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed yesterday so I topped of my pure, added a little oil, and disappeared into the cascade mountains. The hypnotic boxer sound and the cadence and rhythm of carving some curves helped me relax and forget, for a while, that we are going through some weird [email protected]%€ these days. Empty roads also helped!

Stay safe, R9T clan!
You are sooo right. Those who ride understand how much therapy there is in mastering the motions and skills needed to keep a fast moto on the straight and narrow. Seek that release my fellow riders.
It can’t be obtained any other way. Adrenaline is your friend. Enjoy with all your heart......
Tempus fugit for all the old timers like me. Use it well. No regrets ! Blitz

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,625 Posts
Things are getting weird for many folks around the world, with countries going in lockdowns, with businesses and services shutting down, and a world economy that’s sputtering. I wanted to start a new discussion on how you are all coping, and more specifically, how (and if) your R9T helps you deal with these stressful times. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed yesterday so I topped of my pure, added a little oil, and disappeared into the cascade mountains. The hypnotic boxer sound and the cadence and rhythm of carving some curves helped me relax and forget, for a while, that we are going through some weird [email protected]%€ these days. Empty roads also helped!

Stay safe, R9T clan!
Yes exceptional times indeed! Bike therapy in full swing here in scotland. I went out for a long walk and the roads were full of 2 wheeled motorcycle-ness!

Just to let you know I moved your posting to a pre-existing Corona thread to contribute to the already active discussion.

Stay safe mate, and happy riding!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes exceptional times indeed! Bike therapy in full swing here in scotland. I went out for a long walk and the roads were full of 2 wheeled motorcycle-ness!

Just to let you know I moved your posting to a pre-existing Corona thread to contribute to the already active discussion.

Stay safe mate, and happy riding!
Thanks BaldyDave, my mistake for not doing a search first 🤓

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm catching up on some long overdue projects in the pipeline. I checked with Family and friends to make sure they are OK and can only hope for the best going forward. Took the Grandkids for a walk today just to get them out of the house and my Wife's mind for just a little while. I'm happy to see them go home to Mom in the morning.

I did take the '14 Standard out for a romp on the roads yesterday and my do the same Monday too. One project I'm getting up to speed on is my "Barn Bike" R 69S I rescued a couple years back, working on paint (Turf Green) and the motor (complete refurbish) after it had sat partially disassembled since 1975.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Indeed, throttle therapy is great for practicing ‘social distancing’.

Maybe I’ll be using two wheels for ‘picking up food, officer’ the next couple of weeks.
Great idea Bumpky. “I had to go 85mph Officer, it was the only way to keep 6’ between me and that Ferrari ..... social distancing and all” Brilliant ... I’ll bet ya he will be laughing as he writes me a citation. I’ll remember that excuse Bumpky. Cheers Blitz StayUpOn2

·
Registered
199 Posts
Decided to escape the winter to warmer climes.
Before I could reach, the West Bank, Jordan, Egypt got closed. My next destination of choice, Turkey followed suit and now I am in India. Not much of a panic here, but life has slowed down and all international flights are banned till March 29th.
Que sera, sera.

"four wheels good, two wheels better"
Mumbai, the city that never sleeps is now in "nap" mode aka "lockdown".
The pic shows an intersection where crossing the road meant taking your life in your hands as on a normal day a pedestrian is fair game for traffic.
Now, you see just one human and one rodent on the same intersection.

"Envoyé de mon Android Phone en utilisant Tapatalk"

·
Registered
610 Posts
Mumbai, the city that never sleeps is now in "nap" mode aka "lockdown".
The pic shows an intersection where crossing the road meant taking your life in your hands as on a normal day a pedestrian is fair game for traffic.
Now, you see just one human and one rodent on the same intersection.

"Envoyé de mon Android Phone en utilisant Tapatalk"
Be sure to tell that rodent to wash his hands often and to keep at least 6 feet from all his friends until this threat passes us by. That scene is being repeated in dozens of city’s across this planet today. Seems we ALL have a lot more in common than we thought.
Good Luck to one and all who live with good thoughts for mankind, even that lonely rodent just trying to get through this trying time. Life is precious in all it’s forms. Be well ! Blitz

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am Military. Now working as best we can from home (it can be done as strange as it seems) whilst waiting for orders on what we will be asked to do next.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm employed as an airline pilot, mostly flying domestic USA and Caribbean destinations that have not canceled yet. Off to the airport tomorrow, 12 flights scheduled in the next 6 days. I flew exactly 15 passengers to Nassau the other day, in a plane that holds 150. Not much opportunity for social distancing in the terminal (or motorcycling) I'm afraid. I did find time this week to service the J-Type Overdrive on my TR6 though. I've been putting it off, since it requires removing the exhaust to do properly.

Best of luck to us all. T

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here in Oz things are completely mad, despite our 25 million population having recorded (at time of writing) only seven (7) deaths. We have six states and two territories which can largely do their own thing, so lack of coordination and common purpose is rampant. F'rinstance, some states have shut down all schools, others not, while one has left schools open but told parents to keep kids home! Supplies are running low, panic buying of many essentials is still happening, and our political leaders are appearing more and more flustered with each TV appearance to 'reassure' a very nervy population. Personally, I just lost $1599 on a had-to-be-cancelled holiday.. others are losing jobs, incomes, futures, and are much worse off. The world as we knew it will never, ever be the same again. Books will be written about this episode in human history and I cannot wait to read them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We’re muddling through like most. Schools are closed which has both my daughter and teacher wife at home. As our daughter is medically complicated, we’re taking this seriously. But it’s not terribly new for us as we’ve had to practice “social distancing” for several extended periods of her life. our biggest fear might be that one or both of us parents gets hit hard by this. Who will care for our daughter? It’s something we’ve discussed seriously over the years but this isn’t as abstract.

This is hitting my career pretty hard already between evaporating painting sales, and canceled workshops and classes. But we’re relatively secure and will muddled through as best we can. We’ll see how long this feeling lasts.

I desperately wish more people understood a little more of the math and the biology. Would respect the very real challenges this virus presents. And would also refrain from spreading nonsense whether it be silly ‘cures’, crackpot theories of its origin, or that it’s just “fake news”.

In the mean time, I’m trying to get out on the bike as I can

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi all,
Is it still socially acceptable to go out motorcycling?
What’s your thoughts on this, please.
Ken.
Can't see any reason why not to go out solo, and practice social distancing. Certainly nothing in UK government advice (so far) to prevent you...
I went out on my own for the first ride of the year yest. Out and back without stopping anywhere. Roads were quiet, and I had a fab time.

To say that being out on a bike again, after a long cold winter, lifted my spirit is a gross understatement.

·
Registered
610 Posts
We’re muddling through like most. Schools are closed which has both my daughter and teacher wife at home. As our daughter is medically complicated, we’re taking this seriously. But it’s not terribly new for us as we’ve had to practice “social distancing” for several extended periods of her life. our biggest fear might be that one or both of us parents gets hit hard by this. Who will care for our daughter? It’s something we’ve discussed seriously over the years but this isn’t as abstract.

This is hitting my career pretty hard already between evaporating painting sales, and canceled workshops and classes. But we’re relatively secure and will muddled through as best we can. We’ll see how long this feeling lasts.

I desperately wish more people understood a little more of the math and the biology. Would respect the very real challenges this virus presents. And would also refrain from spreading nonsense whether it be silly ‘cures’, crackpot theories of its origin, or that it’s just “fake news”.

In the mean time, I’m trying to get out on the bike as I can
Sad to hear this event is so complicated for you Gristle. You’re a smart man and I’m sure you are aware of the proper precautions you can take. This flu is going to be endemic and around to give us trouble for a very long time to come. The trick at this point is to time your exposure so your not ill during the peak outbreak when medical help is scarce. Everybody will eventually be exposed and some will suffer severely, ..others with just a headache. The peak exponential outbreak should occur within the next two to three weeks and that’s when the hospitals and care facilities will be over run. Voluntarily sequester you and your family thru that period and odds are you’ll all be fine. Things like disinfect anything that comes thru your front door ..from grocery container, mail, take out food containers anything that was handled by anyone. Wash your hands and face often with soap and water ... just be careful and exercise common sense and you can keep healthy ... My heart goes out to you and you wife and daughter. Be strong, smart and confident and you’ll get through this I’m sure. Two to three weeks of diligence and well thought out behavior will pay off. Best wishes to the three of you, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Godspeed my friend. Blitz

·
Registered
97 Posts
I went out on my own for the first ride of the year yest. Out and back without stopping anywhere. Roads were quiet, and I had a fab time.

To say that being out on a bike again, after a long cold winter, lifted my spirit is a gross understatement.
My plan to stay sane involves using my bike and I plan on using it until the authorities tell me not to. Now that Spring is showing, I am so eager to hit the road!

21 - 40 of 103 Posts