BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late summer of 2018 I ordered the SW Motech engine protection bars and installed them to spec using a torque wrench (don't have the instructions in front of me and can't reference them online though). I've put about 12k miles on the bike since then.

Last weekend during a ride at about 35mph I felt a ping through the bars and pegs that communicated I had ran over something or possibly punctured. It was a momentary event, so I didn't really think it was a puncture, but I definitely felt something. I looked in my mirrors and didn't see anything behind me on the ground, so I thought maybe I hit a low flying bird (I didn't see) as I was riding through a rural wooded area, but really I was just grasping at straws and I pulled over to inspect. I didn't find anything visually out of the ordinary, so I just assumed there was an imperfection in the pavement that caused the impact I felt and continued on my 250 mile ride without issue.

Yesterday I headed out for another 200 mile ride and while I was waiting in line for a ferry with the kickstand down I rested my right leg on my jughead like you often see cruiser riders do and I noticed the crash bar flexed. At first I thought it was an optical illusion from the cheap plastic air-intake snorkel flexing, but I got off to visually inspect, and sure enough, the right side crash bar on my bike had cracked in two places right next to the bolts. There are three mounting bolts per side. I have never dropped the bike since installing these bars.

I don't know if the "ping" (for lack of a better word) I experienced last week was from the bars cracking, but I inspect my bike regularly (because there isn't much to inspect it's quite quick and easy), at the time of that event the engine temp was probably around 220ºF, thats the standard temp when cruising in a typical summer morning where I live, but as we all know, the engine can get up to 285º. I imagine the constant range of temperature changes contributed to these breaks.

Like I said, I've had these bars for almost 2 years and 12k miles, so I suppose I got my $300 worth out of them? I'm glad I noticed the cracks before dropping the bike. I've reached out to Revzilla (yesterday - sunday), the vendor I purchased these from but haven't heard back. SW Motech has a 5 year warranty, I'm not looking forward to the hassle of defending myself and shipping these back while I wait for new ones, if thats what happens.

Just something to keep in mind if you order these, although they are out of stock at Revzilla.

Anyone experience similar? Again, no drop. Torque wrench used. 12k miles since install. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Exactly the same happened to me year ago. Bracket cracked almost at the same place. At that time I realized a bit of displacement in between bracket and the bar, so there were a tension. I supposed that this tension plus temperature changes & vibrations were route cause of the crack.
I repaired it myself (easy fix - by welding and by better placement of the bracket I eliminated the tension too).
But to see your case, it looks like design/material issue on those bars...

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,689 Posts
(easy fix - by welding and by better placement of the bracket I eliminated the tension too).
How did you place the bracket in a better position?
I don't remember when installing mine if there was any room for improvement?
I might see if the brackets are under tension by loosening the bolts. May have to shim them with a washer. :unsure:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I could show you identical pics from the same place, same side.
replaced under warranty but I have my doubts of the protection if impacted when just bolted in they snap.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
How did you place the bracket in a better position?
I don't remember when installing mine if there was any room for improvement?
I might see if the brackets are under tension by loosening the bolts. May have to shim them with a washer. :unsure:
During repair I created a notch for weld on the parts and placed the bracket and bar on the bike to be aligned. Made small connection weld only, aligned it by hammer a bit and made final weld. After final check, cleaned weld and repainted impacted area. So far it works.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,689 Posts
. . . and placed the bracket and bar on the bike to be aligned.
So with the bracket bolted in place, the bar did not align hard up close?
So when originally mounted, the bracket/bar join was under tension?

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
So with the bracket bolted in place, the bar did not align hard up close?
So when originally mounted, the bracket/bar join was under tension?
Yes, in my case

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I haven't heard back from either Revzilla nor SW motech, emailed both last Sunday (today is the following Thursday).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts