BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Nine T Scrambler
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my brand new R9T will arrive next month and I'm doing so window shopping (Why did I bought a brand new motorcylce again and an highly customisable one again? ) and it appears that I need some crashbars. :eek:
Here is what I found on the market so I'm looking for some feedback and if they are compatible with the 2021 model.

SW Meotech

SW Meotech, the go to for BMW accessories, simple and robust, not blocking the valve covers

Wunderlich

Same but more expensive

Unit Garage

I really like Unit Garage products and those crashbars don't look intrusive, I like how they are tucked in the bottom

Puig

The cheapest but ugly as hell, will block the valve covers

R&G

Simple, sturdy, might block the valve head

Rizoma

Made of pure gold, might explain the price.

So, what is your opinions and experience on thos?
Anything to know before buying?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Me, I prefer the SW-Motech design, it is a combination of functionality and appearance and robust construction (27 mm OD for SWM vs 22 mm OD for the cheaper Made-in-China product).
Putting money where my mouth is, I bought a pair (thank you Forum Member!) and installed them.
The one big plus is that they do not have to come off for access to the valves.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Those amazon bars are the same as the chinese bars.. crap quality and the mounting hardware rusts after a few months.
Saw multiple forum members with chinese bars.. they always seem to have rusted hardware or the wrong hardware (Remember that post of the guy that punctured he's case?)..

Myself i bought the SW-Motech bars.. great quality and easy fitment.

·
Premium Member
2021 Scrambler
52 Posts
I have the Puig on my '21 scrambler. The install was easy overall but there are two caveats.

1. You should add 1.5mm or 2mm washers between the left bar and the spacers as there is very little clearance from the left cylinder head. They will work as is, but are better with the added room.
2. One of the lower bolts on the left side is near impossible to get to with any torque wrench I have and I wound up guessing at "tight enough". I check on it regularly, and it hasn't moved, but it is probably under torqued.

I would say there's about .25-.5mm clearance without washers:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have the Puig on my '21 scrambler. The install was easy overall but there are two caveats.

1. You should add 1.5mm or 2mm washers between the left bar and the spacers as there is very little clearance from the left cylinder head. They will work as is, but are better with the added room.
2. One of the lower bolts on the left side is near impossible to get to with any torque wrench I have and I wound up guessing at "tight enough". I check on it regularly, and it hasn't moved, but it is probably under torqued.

I would say there's about .25-.5mm clearance without washers:

View attachment 146379
View attachment 146380
If it's the bottom bolts that only require a proper torque it's not that big of a deal.. they dont actualy "Carry" any weight and are just as support.
On my crashbar bolts i just put a small drip of loctite (blue).. So far they did not fall off in the first year ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put Motoguard Crash Bars from Motea.com, which is in Germany. Great quality, perfect fit and easy installation. I'm happy with these.
Hi,
On your website I found crash bars with the same design as the Wunderlich. Nice deal currently : 95€ instead of 240€. The only difference to me is that these ones have a diameter of 22mm, the Wunderlich have a diameter of 25mm…
Any big difference besides that ? Thank you for your quick feedback, the sale ends in 15 hours..!

·
Registered
768 Posts
What degree of protection are you looking for?
Assuming equivalent material construction, smaller bars = less impact resistance

The cost is a "get what you pay for" scenario.
smaller bars = less material and fabrication costs = lower selling price.

....Just my thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What degree of protection are you looking for?
Assuming equivalent material construction, smaller bars = less impact resistance

The cost is a "get what you pay for" scenario.
smaller bars = less material and fabrication costs = lower selling price.

....Just my thought.
Thanks for your feedback !
Obviously I want optimal protection and not just the looks. I was just wondering if the 3mm difference was justified by the price gap… can’t decide and it’s killing me, I don’t want to get bad quality or rusty bars

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks for your feedback !
Obviously I want optimal protection and not just the looks. I was just wondering if the 3mm difference was justified by the price gap… can’t decide and it’s killing me, I don’t want to get bad quality or rusty bars
Check the test video on the SWM web site, it is a crash demo of a BMW boxer equipped with SWM bars and the after-effect.
Their 27mm bars save the bike.
Will a 22mm bar do the equivalent?
What does your logic tell you?
Spend less and be in doubt of the protection or spend more for the certainty?
It is your wallet and your decision

(I have no business connection with SWM nor stand to gain if their product sells)

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler due March
297 Posts
Just what I was looking for, this comparison! Awesome! Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
2020 RnineT
3 Posts
So, my brand new R9T will arrive next month and I'm doing so window shopping (Why did I bought a brand new motorcylce again and an highly customisable one again? ) and it appears that I need some crashbars. :eek:
Here is what I found on the market so I'm looking for some feedback and if they are compatible with the 2021 model.

SW Meotech

SW Meotech, the go to for BMW accessories, simple and robust, not blocking the valve covers

Wunderlich

Same but more expensive

Unit Garage

I really like Unit Garage products and those crashbars don't look intrusive, I like how they are tucked in the bottom

Puig

The cheapest but ugly as hell, will block the valve covers

R&G

Simple, sturdy, might block the valve head

Rizoma

Made of pure gold, might explain the price.

So, what is your opinions and experience on thos?
Anything to know before buying?
I put the Rizoma on my 2020 Roadster and they look awesome! The R9T is a looker so might as well as some bling.

·
Registered
2016 R NineT Classic with aluminium tank with weld
116 Posts
I put Motoguard Crash Bars from Motea.com, which is in Germany. Great quality, perfect fit and easy installation. I'm happy with these.
Heya @majoora, you wouldn’t happen to know the total weight and dimensions of the package when you got your bars from Motea.com?

They won’t ship to Australia unfortunately (despite originally telling me they could and even giving me the cost, they then said they couldn’t) so I asked them for the dimensions and weight of the package to see if it was economically viable to buy them and ship to a mate in the UK who could then forward the package on to me. For some reason, they said they didn’t know the weight and dimensions of the package. Not very helpful.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R9T Pure
35 Posts
Heya @majoora, you wouldn’t happen to know the total weight and dimensions of the package when you got your bars from Motea.com?

They won’t ship to Australia unfortunately (despite originally telling me they could and even giving me the cost, they then said they couldn’t) so I asked them for the dimensions and weight of the package to see if it was economically viable to buy them and ship to a mate in the UK who could then forward the package on to me. For some reason, they said they didn’t know the weight and dimensions of the package. Not very helpful.
I don't remember, unfortunately. If you think that I could help with shipping in some way - let me know.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Urban G/S - Edition 40 years GS
24 Posts
Had to get these:-
They were the only ones that I have seen with the '719 heads'.
No guessing as to the make.
[Sorry it's just a phone piccy as I (we) had just fitted them]. You do need two to unfasten and fasten the top long bolt, otherwise fitting was easy.
Wife says 'But they don't match' .....:sneaky:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 23 Posts