BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Crashed taking a left on this 90 degree turn. No signage. Slipped on gravel and railroad tracks. Probably 25 mph.

Tried saving it from fish tailing but right side of the bike hit the bridge embankment. Passed out when I thought I was going over the embankment into the creek.

Woke up with very minor injuries. Bruised and cut left hip and upper shin. Might have a broken right big toe.

Bike damage: Tank dented, throttle and right mirror sheared, starter OOC, handlebar risers a bit askew, and cosmetic damage to the cowl. Amazingly no leaks and engine covers did their job.

Rode the bike back another 170 miles to Johnson City where I’m staying. Only super negative is having to pop start her (3rd gear / roughly 15 mph).

Here’s where I need your all’s collective wisdom. I live in the DC area. Do I get it fixed down here or ride her home to my dealer? My insurance is Progressive.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Ecoregion Nature Infrastructure Natural environment Urban design

·
Administrator
12,778 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this, but glad you got out relatively intact! Afraid I can't be of much help regarding insurance claims in the US but I guess the issue would be if you rode it home and some resultant damage happened because of this.

Perhaps worth a call to the insurance company to see what they recommend?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Crashed taking a left on this 90 degree turn. No signage. Slipped on gravel and railroad tracks. Probably 25 mph.

Tried saving it from fish tailing but right side of the bike hit the bridge embankment. Passed out when I thought I was going over the embankment into the creek.

Woke up with very minor injuries. Bruised and cut left hip and upper shin. Might have a broken right big toe.

Bike damage: Tank dented, throttle and right mirror sheared, starter OOC, handlebar risers a bit askew, and cosmetic damage to the cowl. Amazingly no leaks and engine covers did their job.

Rode the bike back another 170 miles to Johnson City where I’m staying. Only super negative is having to pop start her (3rd gear / roughly 15 mph).

Here’s where I need your all’s collective wisdom. I live in the DC area. Do I get it fixed down here or ride her home to my dealer? My insurance is Progressive.

View attachment 147813

View attachment 147812
Wow, first let me say …BummerDude… I suggest you put that question to your Progressive agent since he’s going to get stuck with the bill …. How far do you have to ride it to get home? Maybe a better idea would be to rent a car and trailer and tow it home. I’m glad your injuries were minor. I hope the insurance pays off with out a snag, they may even pay for a rental to get it home …. Ask that agent …. I don’t think the repair costs will vary that much from shop to shop to Dealer … they buy their parts from the same guy, Mr.BMW himself.
……..Blitz

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
589 Posts
Very sorry to see this. Take a deep breath, nothing major happened and for the rest there’s insurance!
Let them deal with it, it’s what they do for all the $$$ you have given them over the years. Main thing is, you’re ok.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sorry to hear, but glad that you were able to get back ... if it were me, the bike would go to the dealer that I have confidence in and not the ins. co's option ... am assuming that your ins rules are the same as in Ontario where you get the choice of repair shop.
Please also get yourself medically checked out, more so that you had a black out.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, gents. I filed a claim and will contact my agent tomorrow. Really just want them to tell me where I can take the bike to get it fixed. My dad had a good idea to rent a uhaul van and throw it in the back.

I ended up riding it back to my hotel 170 miles away. Only crappy thing is having to pop start it.

Seeing Dead & Company tomorrow night in Charlotte and then head back to Northern Virginia on Tuesday. Only four pop starts to go.

Bike is a tank. I’m in shock / awe nothing is leaking.

·
Registered
15 Posts

View attachment 147813

View attachment 147812
Wow, glad you are OK. I also have Progressive and I checked the tow/transport option when buying insurance. I think it only added about $20 a year to policy. Maybe check to see if you have it.

·
Registered
2011 R1200RT - 2015 RNineT
244 Posts
Glad you are okay, I've never ridden that road but have heard there are a lot of trucks and gravel in the curves... You should really reflect on what went wrong, what you did wrong and learn from this.

If I were you, I'd get it back to your dealer for a full inspection and estimate to repair as there may be hidden damages and let them deal with the insurance company. As far as continuing to ride it, if you think it is safe and that you are not going to cause additional damage than ride it but otherwise figure out another way to get it home. The parts are not going to be inexpensive, now would be the time if you ever wanted to paint it a different color. EDIT to add. Inspect your riding gear, if it was damaged be sure to file a claim for that too, worse they can do is say no.

Good luck

·
Registered
244 Posts
@Uli Kunkel, Yeah, a lot of things can changes in the mountains from day to day. A semi goes through kicking up debris in the corners, trees and branches falling, rock slides and wash outs from a rain to name a few. A good friend and I were riding between Franklin and Highlands a few years ago. We had just rode up from Florida that day and while the weather was great it had been raining the week before. My buddy was following a car a little to close to see the gravel that had washed across the road from a dirt road that intersected the road we were on in a slight curve. His front end instantly washed out and and he was sliding down the road before he knew what happened.... F'd his new Speed Triple up pretty good but after some help from a local welder he was able to ride for the week we were there.

The point of this post is, shit happens, count your blessing.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Made it 160 miles to Charlotte. No issues besides janky throttle and pop start (3rd gear at 13 mph). Figured out impact occurred on the right handlebar which sheared the starter, throttle, mirror, and then slapped / dented the tank.

If you’re in the area, here are some good Gold roads besides BRP, Dragon, Cherohala Highway, Moonshiner 28. Numbers correspond to the Butler map…

#7 - TN 421 (The Green Eyed Snake) - biggest sport bike crowd I saw.
#11 - TN 66 & 63 - no traffic. Everyone was at church.
West of #11 - KY 190 & TN 90 - I was just commenting to myself how well TN does signage.
#6 - Devil’s Triangle - very little signage. Knew I was in trouble when I passed a trailer with Confederate AND Nazi flags.
#20 - NC 181 - nice big sweepers. Road this one after the crash.

Rectangle Art Pattern Visual arts Painting

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,581 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash and the banged up bike, but glad you weren't hurt worse!

I have Progressive, too. When I hit a deer last year with my old VFR, I contacted Progressive and they had me take and email photos of the damage to an adjuster. From the photos, and I think from input from the local Honda dealer shop, they calculated the damage and cut me a check, minus my deductible. I never even got the bike to the shop for an assessment and estimate. But that was about a year ago, when the pandemic still had some changes from standard practices in effect. They might be back to having damaged vehicles inspected at a shop at this point.

Regardless, I'd say get the estimate and have the work done at your local dealer shop. That way if there is an issue with the repairs anytime soon, you're near your local shop which performed the work instead of hundreds of miles away. To me it would be worth renting a van or something to get the bike back home rather than using a dealer down south.

Also, @Dirtmerchant is right -- inspect your riding gear and include any repair of replacement of damaged gear with your claim. Same goes for any accessories. If you have full coverage, I think Progressive will cover up to $1,000 or $2,000 of accessories in addition to the bike itself.

·
Registered
R9teees
395 Posts
Sounds like you still have some adventuring to do on that bike. I say ride it home. If you need a place to rack out f about three hours from home drop a line.

·
Registered
244 Posts
@Uli Kunkel. In regards to the damaged gear, some companies will do free inspections and in some cases replacements of gear damaged in crashes. You may want to contact each of them to see what their policy is. I assume they use damaged gear to develop new and improved models.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts