BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you for the continued gouge. Progressive rep said I can take the bike anywhere. Debating between the BMW dealer where I bought the bike and a mom & pop shop within walking distance of my house. Have serviced with with both.
Leaning towards the latter (more attention to detail). Nothing damaged is super BMW specific besides parts.

Experience has made me love my R9T even more. Bloodied but unbowed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am glad you are ok Uli Kunkel. The landing could have been quite worst so your angels were hard at work that day. I am glad to see that you are back on the saddle riding your 9T....it's all good!

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Safely finished the last 360 mile leg. Did not snap shut the fuel cap so I could refuel without any further pop starts. Not ideal, but I was extra cautious while refueling and it didn’t bother the bike / no codes thrown. Did roughly 700 miles on her after the crash.

Happy I took it to my local repair shop vice the dealer. Will take longer but they’ll do a better job. Hoping the amount of upgrades I added will prevent them from totaling it.

Thank you all for your time and help. Will keep you posted on the repairs.

I am glad you are ok Uli Kunkel. The landing could have been quite worst so your angels were hard at work that day. I am glad to see that you are back on the saddle riding your 9T....it's all good!
I now believe in guardian angels. Mine caused me to pass out before I hit that bridge wall.

On another (but related) note, during the mishap, did you feel the electronic "nannies" i.e. ABS, ASC, kicking in?
I’m sure they were kicking in but it was too late. I caught the gravel and train track and slid toward the bridge wall (looked like a Jersey barricade). I remember trying to correct twice before I passed out just before impact. I should have made that 90 degree turn earlier and below 15 mph or whatever speed the counter-steer goes away.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm happy to hear that you and the bike are both still functioning.

But, the more important question is...

...how was the show in Charlotte?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Neither ASC nor ABS could help you. When front wheel splip due to gravel/oil/rain/debris/ice etc while lean in a bent we will fall inmediatly. Very difficult (almost imposible) to avoid this kind of falls. Not necessary ride fast. Even slowly you can fall depending in your lean angle/slippery surface.

The more gravel/oil/debris are on the road, the more straighten up you have to ride (including turns), and the more softly/progressive with gas/brakes. So while riding we always have to check lots of things. Animals, others drivers, surface conditions...expect the unexpected.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm happy to hear that you and the bike are both still functioning.

But, the more important question is...

...how was the show in Charlotte?
Sounded awesome but disappointed in some of the set list and drawing out less remarkable songs. Would rather have heard more songs than extended versions of “Looks like Rain”. Bass player is top notch but not as melodic as Phil Lesh so you hear more of Bobby. Charlotte’s PNC Pavilion is a great outdoor venue.

Neither ASC nor ABS could help you. When front wheel splip due to gravel/oil/rain/debris/ice etc while lean in a bent we will fall inmediatly. Very difficult (almost imposible) to avoid this kind of falls. Not necessary ride fast. Even slowly you can fall depending in your lean angle/slippery surface.

The more gravel/oil/debris are on the road, the more straighten up you have to ride (including turns), and the more softly/progressive with gas/brakes. So while riding we always have to check lots of things. Animals, others drivers, surface conditions...expect the unexpected.
Exactly. All about lean angle. I could have managed the gravel but the unmarked abandoned train rail right afterwards got me. The Devil’s Triangle website even mentions to ride this route clockwise as there are three extremely tight right handed switch backs early on. No mention of this section just past the confederate and nazi flag cabin.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sounded awesome but disappointed in some of the set list and drawing out less remarkable songs. Would rather have heard more songs than extended versions of “Looks like Rain”. Bass player is top notch but not as melodic as Phil Lesh so you hear more of Bobby. Charlotte’s PNC Pavilion is a great outdoor venue.
Hm. Just looked at the set list, which actually struck me as looking pretty good (but I guess one has to be there). As for not having Phil there, well, I'm retired and I can understand (a little) of where he's at. Bummed that I didn't get tickets for the tour kick-off in Raleigh nevertheless. Online ticket purchases drive me crazy.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hm. Just looked at the set list, which actually struck me as looking pretty good (but I guess one has to be there). As for not having Phil there, well, I'm retired and I can understand (a little) of where he's at. Bummed that I didn't get tickets for the tour kick-off in Raleigh nevertheless. Online ticket purchases drive me crazy.
Same on missing Raleigh AND Bristow, VA! Like both of those sets lists better. Understand why people follow them now. Such a deep well of material.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Progressive is great. Already cut me a check for my damaged gear and willing to work with me to prevent totaling the bike which is a Frankenstein. Original owner built a Pure into a Classic and I finished the upgrades most notably the suspension. Upgraded parts are worth more than the NADA book value of the bike.

Anyone know if it’s possible to buy just the bottom clamp to the triple tree? Shop noticed I broke the right steering stop on it. Makes sense since the impact broke that and then the handlebar crashed into the tank.

EDIT… Found it - 2019 BMW R nineT Lower fork cross brace - 31428552873 - Genuine BMW Part

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
326 Posts
A 9T crowd talking Grateful Dead sets...I love it and it all makes sense!
I been balling a shiny black steel jack-hammer,
Been chippin' up rocks for the great highway,
Live five years if I take my time,
Ballin' that jack and a drinkin' my wine.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
A 9T crowd talking Grateful Dead sets...I love it and it all makes sense!
I been balling a shiny black steel jack-hammer,
Been chippin' up rocks for the great highway,
Live five years if I take my time,
Ballin' that jack and a drinkin' my wine.
No Easy Wind but they did play Mister Charlie!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts