BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted any form of cruise control to their bikes? Just curious. Over the last couple of years my throttle hand has a habit of going numb after a ride of between 40-60mins or more, depending on what bike I ride. I've tried not gripping the throttle too tightly on the BMW and that made a limited improvement - I can last for about an hour.... My Moto Guzzi is the worst at it has huge 40mm carbs with strong return springs and you need a good strong grip on the throttle to hold it open... It's a real man's throttle! lol The Nine T is better due to it's light throttle, but I still get the problem.

At present it means I have to make a 10 minute break to let my hand recover before continuing.

My thinking is that on long motorway rides I could at least use some form of cruise control and give my hand a rest on the move.....

I've seen this gadget and can pick it up really cheaply so I guess it might be worth a a try.... You clip it to the throttle grip and use your palm to control the throttle, I believe...

Would be really grateful for your advice! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have one of those palm rests, could not get use to it. I have a Kako throttle lock on the bike now and use it when the road is reasonable level to give my hand a rest. I suffer from numb hand also...after rotating the bars back a small amount, it helped. I guess in my case it had a bit to do with the position of my hand on the grip. Maybe try that, made a fairly big difference.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have similar to this one you showed. Works ok. Moves on the grip as its being pushed down and needs to be adjusted. Though adjustment is easy - Grab and rotate up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have both the one shown in the OP, and this style shown here (not my bike)

I prefer the throttle lock. I cannot get comfortable with the palm style. I like to be able to flip it down with my forefinger and give my right hand a break.

Just don't forget the not-so-common common sense and use it the straight stretches and not in the twisties. Shouldn't have to say it, but....

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great topic! I was just wondering on this yesterday by saying to myself "self - you need something for the open stretches. Your hand(s) are sore."

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Oh Crap.

Just great, they do have one and now I have to decide if a Throttlemiester would be worth losing the fancy little bar end mirrors I just put on since I couldn't have both.
The battle between aesthetics and function continues...

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that was my initial thought when seeing the Throttlemeister kit.....Was planning on getting some PSR bar end mirrors over the winter..... Hmmmmmm......

I really like the engineering behind the Throttlemeister solution though....

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have one of those palm rests, could not get use to it. I have a Kako throttle lock on the bike now and use it when the road is reasonable level to give my hand a rest. I suffer from numb hand also...after rotating the bars back a small amount, it helped. I guess in my case it had a bit to do with the position of my hand on the grip. Maybe try that, made a fairly big difference.
That's interesting, it seems to be an almost identical concept to the Throttlemeister... The difference seems that Throttlemeister gives you a matching set of bar ends.... I'm not sure if Kaoko do? Did they fit on the R9T ok as I can't see it listed. Did you use the R1200R one?

Sorry for all the questions! :)

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
Looks as if you are in luck then, new application for the R9T...... ;)
Throttlemeister
Having never used one, would anyone please like to explain the use of the Throttlemeister?

Once you get up to speed, do you then let go of the throttle to turn the 'meister up to meet that speed? Don't you lose some speed this way?
Can you dial the 'meister set speed back slightly, or is it only off/on/off?
So if you turn it back, do you lose all power so you have to grab the throttle quickly to continue a smooth momentum?
I am thinking if you come up against a slower vehicle, can you slow down slightly to meet their speed, then revert back to cruise once you're past.
But if you have to 'muck' about with adjustments, then the whole overtaking maneuver could be quite a dilemma.

I like the idea and finish of the Throttlemeister, just not sure about the practicallity. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
242 Posts
"Once you've mounted the Throttlemeister bar ends to your bike, they work like this: All of the workings of the Throttlemeister are inside the bar end itself. Once mounted, you turn the whole bar end in the same direction as opening the throttle. A piston moves in and out of the Throttlemeister itself and puts friction against the throttle tube, which in turn counteracts the throttle return spring. When installed properly, the Throttlemeister will not completely lock the throttle. You can always override the Throttlemeister in any situation. If you need to stop quickly you can just grab the throttle and turn it off."

I imagine you twist it until the throttle spring is non functional, then ride like that, overcoming the friction to change the throttle to the appropriate position.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Cruise control gadgets

Exactly.

When riding when I want to engage the TM I hold the throttle with my index finger and thumb and rotate the TM back with my pinky and palm. Then it creates the drag needed to hold the throttle while still bring able to rotate it.
(I just happen to be stuck at a gig with the r12r parked at the loading dock)

A very handy tool that's looks great too, but like I said I would use it in conjunction with a cramp buster in long rides. Saves energy and reduces fatigue.

I tried the Kaoko throttle lock and found it not to work or stay adjusted as well, it has a set screw that comes looks even with locktite, not as finished of a product IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
When riding when I want to engage the TM I hold the throttle with my index finger and thumb and rotate the TM back with my pinky and palm. Then it creates the drag needed to hold the throttle while still bring able to rotate it.
So what you are saying is that you preset the Throttlemeister to apply some drag to the twist-grip? Can you then twist your throttle back and forth without upsetting the 'meister?
How far do you need to turn the 'meister to get a reasonable throttle 'lock'?

Thanks for the pics, they are a stylish solution. :)

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
So what you are saying is that you preset the Throttlemeister to apply some drag to the twist-grip? Can you then twist your throttle back and forth without upsetting the 'meister?
How far do you need to turn the 'meister to get a reasonable throttle 'lock'?

Thanks for the pics, they are a stylish solution. :)

Yes, once the TM is engaged it doesn't budge but the throttle can be moved. I'd say it takes about a 100º turn of the TM to engage it, or a little more than a quarter turn.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've had a number of different throttle locks, in a variety of prices / form-functions. I have the the throttlemeister on my RT, and it is a good one.

This is my current favorite...

I leave this one dangling from my handlebar, and before I'm gonna do a long ride, I pop it on the throttle. Simple and cheap, and I think is the easiest one I've ever used since it involved using just one index finger to push down when riding. I have the simple plastic one, now they make several machined aluminum ones which look really nice for a few more bucks.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Let me say again that the 2 1/4 Elite Rox with vibration damping are a revelation for the numb hand and sore wrists as well. Try them and don't over-tighten the vibration absorbing donuts and your tingling and other problems will be a thing of the past. alexford

1 - 20 of 55 Posts