BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tried them all!

Has anyone fitted any form of cruise control to their bikes? Just curious. Over the last couple of years my throttle hand has a habit of going numb after a ride of between 40-60mins or more, depending on what bike I ride. I've tried not gripping the throttle too tightly on the BMW and that made a limited improvement - I can last for about an hour.... My Moto Guzzi is the worst at it has huge 40mm carbs with strong return springs and you need a good strong grip on the throttle to hold it open... It's a real man's throttle! lol The Nine T is better due to it's light throttle, but I still get the problem.

At present it means I have to make a 10 minute break to let my hand recover before continuing.

My thinking is that on long motorway rides I could at least use some form of cruise control and give my hand a rest on the move.....

I've seen this gadget and can pick it up really cheaply so I guess it might be worth a a try.... You clip it to the throttle grip and use your palm to control the throttle, I believe...

Would be really grateful for your advice! Thanks! :)
I have tried almost every cruise control or throttle assist I have found..

And there is ONLY one I really like, at that is the one I use now..

Atlas Throttle Lock, this IS the best there is.. It does not take up any space on your grip, it does not conflict with bar en mirrors or other things you might want to have at the end of your handlebar.. It is small, and does not look ugly.. And the best of everything, it is super easy to take of and move to another bike..

It does fit the Ninet perfect!

YOU SHOULD ALL BUY ONE!! :D

www.atlasthrottlelock.com

(and the inventer and owner of the company is a really nice guy who loves to ride motorcycles! I dont have any connections to him or the company, just bought it, and got superb customer service!)

Dont have pictures right now, but will post some on friday.

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have tried almost every cruise control or throttle assist I have found..

And there is ONLY one I really like, at that is the one I use now..

Atlas Throttle Lock, this IS the best there is.. It does not take up any space on your grip, it does not conflict with bar en mirrors or other things you might want to have at the end of your handlebar.. It is small, and does not look ugly.. And the best of everything, it is super easy to take of and move to another bike..

It does fit the Ninet perfect!

YOU SHOULD ALL BUY ONE!! :D

www.atlasthrottlelock.com

(and the inventer and owner of the company is a really nice guy who loves to ride motorcycles! I dont have any connections to him or the company, just bought it, and got superb customer service!)

Dont have pictures right now, but will post some on friday.

Sounds really good. Will be cool to see some pictures. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll throw in my vote: OMNI-CRUISE: Universal Motorcycle Throttle Lock

This is merely a variation on a theme, but the price is a lot less than some. I bought one for each bike.

I set the gross speed with my index finger pushing down to contact the brake lever, then as I roll gently on just a bit, fix the fine speed tuning with a slight push up from the thumb. It's a friction fit that's adjustable - see the little knob on top? Some of the others don't fit just right or clamp too hard making it difficult to use on all bikes equally.

I leave mine so there is a tiny bit of drift in control that way I must pay attention all the time and don't get slack. If I've needed to slow down in a hurry it rolls right off, I've never felt it in the way of throttle control in deceleration or in braking.

Any of these will save your hand and confuse the **** out of everyone you wave at from the right. The last one you buy will be the one you really like.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Atlas Throttle Lock pictures.

Sounds really good. Will be cool to see some pictures. :)
@Freddy, looks like a good and simple solution. Please do post some pictures on the 9T.
Here are som pictures of the Atlas Throttle Lock. :)

Any ideas on why the pictures are on the side? They are correct on my Mac.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Here are som pictures of the Atlas Throttle Lock. :)

Any ideas on why the pictures are on the side? They are correct on my Mac.
That looks great! I think I'm going to order one. Seems exactly what i've been searching for. :) Very neat solution and not too obtrusive.

As to why the pictures are now on their side, this is a guess, but if you took the photos in portrait mode, perhaps the site software rotates them to landscape as that might be the format that it expects attachments to be uploaded in.....

Thanks for posting the pictures, Freddy! :)

Edit - that last photo you posted is orientated correctly! Kind of blows my theory outa the window! Unless you tweaked it? lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
That looks great! I think I'm going to order one. Looks exactly what i've been searching for. :) Very neat solution and not too obtrusive.

As to why the pictures are now on their side, this is a guess, but if you took the photos in portrait mode, perhaps the site software rotates them to landscape as that might be the format that it expects attachments to be uploaded in.....

Thanks for posting the pictures, Freddy! :)
You won´t regret it! :D

But when you get it, the push button will be kind of hard, but it will run in after and become smoother. :)

I rode a little bit with it today, and it is really second to none! :D

I sat in my sofa and pushed the button maybe 100 times before installing, then it was perfect. :)

Did not tweak the last picture.. :eek: So I have no idea..

and if you would like to, it would to totaly awesome if you write "Fredrik from Norway", in the where did you hear about Atlas Throttle Lock section. Not important, but would be awesome! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
After testing a few I found I liked the Kaoko throttle friction the best. Took less than 5 minutes to install and works well. You can always override it even at max friction so no fears in case you need to quickly develop.

Can be ordered from many places such as sierrabmw or twistedthrottle. Just make sure you get the right shim which is unique to each bike.

I've got a picture in my garage section if you would like see one installed

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=3257

·
Registered
85 Posts
After testing a few I found I liked the Kaoko throttle friction the best. Took less than 5 minutes to install and works well. You can always override it even at max friction so no fears in case you need to quickly develop.

Can be ordered from many places such as sierrabmw or twistedthrottle. Just make sure you get the right shim which is unique to each bike.

I've got a picture in my garage section if you would like see one installed

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=3257
Sorry forgot to include kaoko's web site

http://www.kaoko.com/c403/R-Nine-T-2014.aspx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone fitted any form of cruise control to their bikes? Just curious. Over the last couple of years my throttle hand has a habit of going numb after a ride of between 40-60mins or more, depending on what bike I ride. I've tried not gripping the throttle too tightly on the BMW and that made a limited improvement - I can last for about an hour.... My Moto Guzzi is the worst at it has huge 40mm carbs with strong return springs and you need a good strong grip on the throttle to hold it open... It's a real man's throttle! lol The Nine T is better due to it's light throttle, but I still get the problem.

At present it means I have to make a 10 minute break to let my hand recover before continuing.

My thinking is that on long motorway rides I could at least use some form of cruise control and give my hand a rest on the move.....

I've seen this gadget and can pick it up really cheaply so I guess it might be worth a a try.... You clip it to the throttle grip and use your palm to control the throttle, I believe...

Would be really grateful for your advice! Thanks! :)

I use an Aero Stich clip on Cruise control it works pretty well is fairly cheap and gives you a good 5-10 min break while your riding. I found that it does slip a little over time but well worth it for the price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for reply guys, i was hoping to not use anything on the bar end and have something more permanent. Seems theres more options than i thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kaoko Throttle Lock

A few questions:
1. If you use it, do you like it?
2. Any comparisons to Throttlemeister?
3. Can you use bar end mirrors with the Kaoko?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Well I finally bought an Atlas Throttle Lock from another forum member, and it seems to be perfect for my needs. Thanks for the heads-up @Freddy, and thanks to @U22 for selling me his.

If anyone is interested, photos can be found in my modifications thread

Only observation I could make is that perhaps if you go for low bars (I have Rizoma MA008 fitted, still plenty clearance) the throttle lock MIGHT hit off the tank on full lock. I think that MA005 bars might be fine but anything lower may cause issues. If you have low bars I'd suggest you verify the returns policy with Atlas before ordering.

EDIT - just had another look at the clearance between the throttle lock to the tank with the bars on full right lock. I reckon even Rizoma MA005 bars might be too low to fit the Atlas throttle lock, certainly will be close I think. Looks like about 25mm clearance with the MA008 bars (guessing)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had a number of different throttle locks, in a variety of prices / form-functions. I have the the throttlemeister on my RT, and it is a good one.

This is my current favorite...

Amazon.com: 2Wheel Ride GC-1 Go Cruise Black 7/8" Motorcycle Throttle Assist: Automotive

I leave this one dangling from my handlebar, and before I'm gonna do a long ride, I pop it on the throttle. Simple and cheap, and I think is the easiest one I've ever used since it involved using just one index finger to push down when riding. I have the simple plastic one, now they make several machined aluminum ones which look really nice for a few more bucks.
If you dont have one just get it. Yes you have to make small adjustments when you start going up or down a hill but it sill allows you to relax your hand and drive for much longer. It is money well spent.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wunderlich cruise control

Just installed this, quality product and looks good. Much better quality than the stock (plastic!) bar ends.

Despite what they call it, its just a throttle lock like the kaoko stuff.

Haven't ridden the bike yet but it seems to work well in the garage. I like how they include a bar end for the opposite side to match.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looks nice. Please report back when you have had a chance to try it out.
So I've been testing it a bit and it's fine for long, flat straight stretches of freeway, but not much else. It's fiddly to operate and of course doesn't keep your speed unless you tighten the knob quite tight and are on a flat road.

Works fine for what I bought it for, resting my right hand for a few moments on long rides. Better value for money would probably be a cramp buster instead.

Looks good though... Think if it as a nice set of bar ends with a handy feature...

21 - 40 of 55 Posts