BMW NineT Forum banner

Cruise control gadgets Super Thread (merged)

40K views 115 replies 53 participants last post by  FSEngineer 
#1 ·
Has anyone fitted any form of cruise control to their bikes? Just curious. Over the last couple of years my throttle hand has a habit of going numb after a ride of between 40-60mins or more, depending on what bike I ride. I've tried not gripping the throttle too tightly on the BMW and that made a limited improvement - I can last for about an hour.... My Moto Guzzi is the worst at it has huge 40mm carbs with strong return springs and you need a good strong grip on the throttle to hold it open... It's a real man's throttle! lol The Nine T is better due to it's light throttle, but I still get the problem.

At present it means I have to make a 10 minute break to let my hand recover before continuing.

My thinking is that on long motorway rides I could at least use some form of cruise control and give my hand a rest on the move.....

I've seen this gadget and can pick it up really cheaply so I guess it might be worth a a try.... You clip it to the throttle grip and use your palm to control the throttle, I believe...

Would be really grateful for your advice! Thanks! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I have one of those palm rests, could not get use to it. I have a Kako throttle lock on the bike now and use it when the road is reasonable level to give my hand a rest. I suffer from numb hand also...after rotating the bars back a small amount, it helped. I guess in my case it had a bit to do with the position of my hand on the grip. Maybe try that, made a fairly big difference.

#10 ·
That's interesting, it seems to be an almost identical concept to the Throttlemeister... The difference seems that Throttlemeister gives you a matching set of bar ends.... I'm not sure if Kaoko do? Did they fit on the R9T ok as I can't see it listed. Did you use the R1200R one?

Sorry for all the questions! :)

#4 ·
I have both the one shown in the OP, and this style shown here (not my bike)

I prefer the throttle lock. I cannot get comfortable with the palm style. I like to be able to flip it down with my forefinger and give my right hand a break.

Just don't forget the not-so-common common sense and use it the straight stretches and not in the twisties. Shouldn't have to say it, but....

#6 ·
#8 ·
Oh Crap.

Just great, they do have one and now I have to decide if a Throttlemiester would be worth losing the fancy little bar end mirrors I just put on since I couldn't have both.
The battle between aesthetics and function continues...

#9 ·
Yeah that was my initial thought when seeing the Throttlemeister kit.....Was planning on getting some PSR bar end mirrors over the winter..... Hmmmmmm......

I really like the engineering behind the Throttlemeister solution though....

#12 ·
"Once you've mounted the Throttlemeister bar ends to your bike, they work like this: All of the workings of the Throttlemeister are inside the bar end itself. Once mounted, you turn the whole bar end in the same direction as opening the throttle. A piston moves in and out of the Throttlemeister itself and puts friction against the throttle tube, which in turn counteracts the throttle return spring. When installed properly, the Throttlemeister will not completely lock the throttle. You can always override the Throttlemeister in any situation. If you need to stop quickly you can just grab the throttle and turn it off."

I imagine you twist it until the throttle spring is non functional, then ride like that, overcoming the friction to change the throttle to the appropriate position.

#13 · (Edited)
Cruise control gadgets

Exactly.

When riding when I want to engage the TM I hold the throttle with my index finger and thumb and rotate the TM back with my pinky and palm. Then it creates the drag needed to hold the throttle while still bring able to rotate it.
(I just happen to be stuck at a gig with the r12r parked at the loading dock) [emoji12]

A very handy tool that's looks great too, but like I said I would use it in conjunction with a cramp buster in long rides. Saves energy and reduces fatigue.

I tried the Kaoko throttle lock and found it not to work or stay adjusted as well, it has a set screw that comes looks even with locktite, not as finished of a product IMHO.

#15 ·
When riding when I want to engage the TM I hold the throttle with my index finger and thumb and rotate the TM back with my pinky and palm. Then it creates the drag needed to hold the throttle while still bring able to rotate it.
So what you are saying is that you preset the Throttlemeister to apply some drag to the twist-grip? Can you then twist your throttle back and forth without upsetting the 'meister?
How far do you need to turn the 'meister to get a reasonable throttle 'lock'?

Thanks for the pics, they are a stylish solution. :)

#18 ·
I've had a number of different throttle locks, in a variety of prices / form-functions. I have the the throttlemeister on my RT, and it is a good one.

This is my current favorite...

I leave this one dangling from my handlebar, and before I'm gonna do a long ride, I pop it on the throttle. Simple and cheap, and I think is the easiest one I've ever used since it involved using just one index finger to push down when riding. I have the simple plastic one, now they make several machined aluminum ones which look really nice for a few more bucks.

#37 ·
I've had a number of different throttle locks, in a variety of prices / form-functions. I have the the throttlemeister on my RT, and it is a good one.

This is my current favorite...

Amazon.com: 2Wheel Ride GC-1 Go Cruise Black 7/8" Motorcycle Throttle Assist: Automotive

I leave this one dangling from my handlebar, and before I'm gonna do a long ride, I pop it on the throttle. Simple and cheap, and I think is the easiest one I've ever used since it involved using just one index finger to push down when riding. I have the simple plastic one, now they make several machined aluminum ones which look really nice for a few more bucks.
If you dont have one just get it. Yes you have to make small adjustments when you start going up or down a hill but it sill allows you to relax your hand and drive for much longer. It is money well spent.

#22 ·
Tried them all!

I have tried almost every cruise control or throttle assist I have found..

And there is ONLY one I really like, at that is the one I use now..

Atlas Throttle Lock, this IS the best there is.. It does not take up any space on your grip, it does not conflict with bar en mirrors or other things you might want to have at the end of your handlebar.. It is small, and does not look ugly.. And the best of everything, it is super easy to take of and move to another bike..

It does fit the Ninet perfect!

YOU SHOULD ALL BUY ONE!! :D

www.atlasthrottlelock.com

(and the inventer and owner of the company is a really nice guy who loves to ride motorcycles! I dont have any connections to him or the company, just bought it, and got superb customer service!)

Dont have pictures right now, but will post some on friday.

#23 ·
I have tried almost every cruise control or throttle assist I have found..

And there is ONLY one I really like, at that is the one I use now..

Atlas Throttle Lock, this IS the best there is.. It does not take up any space on your grip, it does not conflict with bar en mirrors or other things you might want to have at the end of your handlebar.. It is small, and does not look ugly.. And the best of everything, it is super easy to take of and move to another bike..

It does fit the Ninet perfect!

YOU SHOULD ALL BUY ONE!! :D

www.atlasthrottlelock.com

(and the inventer and owner of the company is a really nice guy who loves to ride motorcycles! I dont have any connections to him or the company, just bought it, and got superb customer service!)

Dont have pictures right now, but will post some on friday.

Sounds really good. Will be cool to see some pictures. :)

#25 ·
I'll throw in my vote: OMNI-CRUISE: Universal Motorcycle Throttle Lock

This is merely a variation on a theme, but the price is a lot less than some. I bought one for each bike.

I set the gross speed with my index finger pushing down to contact the brake lever, then as I roll gently on just a bit, fix the fine speed tuning with a slight push up from the thumb. It's a friction fit that's adjustable - see the little knob on top? Some of the others don't fit just right or clamp too hard making it difficult to use on all bikes equally.

I leave mine so there is a tiny bit of drift in control that way I must pay attention all the time and don't get slack. If I've needed to slow down in a hurry it rolls right off, I've never felt it in the way of throttle control in deceleration or in braking.

Any of these will save your hand and confuse the **** out of everyone you wave at from the right. The last one you buy will be the one you really like.

#31 ·
After testing a few I found I liked the Kaoko throttle friction the best. Took less than 5 minutes to install and works well. You can always override it even at max friction so no fears in case you need to quickly develop.

Can be ordered from many places such as sierrabmw or twistedthrottle. Just make sure you get the right shim which is unique to each bike.

I've got a picture in my garage section if you would like see one installed

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=3257

#36 · (Edited)
Well I finally bought an Atlas Throttle Lock from another forum member, and it seems to be perfect for my needs. Thanks for the heads-up @Freddy, and thanks to @U22 for selling me his.

If anyone is interested, photos can be found in my modifications thread

Only observation I could make is that perhaps if you go for low bars (I have Rizoma MA008 fitted, still plenty clearance) the throttle lock MIGHT hit off the tank on full lock. I think that MA005 bars might be fine but anything lower may cause issues. If you have low bars I'd suggest you verify the returns policy with Atlas before ordering.

EDIT - just had another look at the clearance between the throttle lock to the tank with the bars on full right lock. I reckon even Rizoma MA005 bars might be too low to fit the Atlas throttle lock, certainly will be close I think. Looks like about 25mm clearance with the MA008 bars (guessing)

Reactions: Freddy
#38 ·
Wunderlich cruise control

Just installed this, quality product and looks good. Much better quality than the stock (plastic!) bar ends.

Despite what they call it, its just a throttle lock like the kaoko stuff.

Haven't ridden the bike yet but it seems to work well in the garage. I like how they include a bar end for the opposite side to match.

#57 ·
Wunderlich cruise control

Just installed this, quality product and looks good. Much better quality than the stock (plastic!) bar ends.

Despite what they call it, its just a throttle lock like the kaoko stuff.

Haven't ridden the bike yet but it seems to work well in the garage. I like how they include a bar end for the opposite side to match.

Finally someone that knows what a throttle lock should look like and be built to seamlessly blend in. This the one I plan to get it's far the best. Even though it's expensive not like the Atlas. And it's much more functional and better. How much did you pay if it's no secret?

#40 ·
So I've been testing it a bit and it's fine for long, flat straight stretches of freeway, but not much else. It's fiddly to operate and of course doesn't keep your speed unless you tighten the knob quite tight and are on a flat road.

Works fine for what I bought it for, resting my right hand for a few moments on long rides. Better value for money would probably be a cramp buster instead.

Looks good though... Think if it as a nice set of bar ends with a handy feature...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.