BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me start out by saying I was a little skeptical about LED lamp replacements from my experience with HID conversions and many years as a Lighting Designer. Reflectors are specifically designed to work with a specific light source and so on...
BUT, I have been looking for a solution to get better lighting going on the NineT without spending big bucks...
I read through most of this thread on ADVrider.com and decided to take the plunge, seeing that the Vendor is a stand up guy and feeling if it didn't work out or fit I would just return it.
After doing the simple and straightforward install on the NineT I agree with how Off Road Ryder (the vendor) honestly describes the "upgrade".

On this bike at least, it's doesn't keep the hard edges BMW designed into the low beam to keep the lights out of other drivers eyes, it kind of diffuses the area where the light falls off, I can see in my photos how it will work better, even on low beam, to get cagers attention. Even better with high beam on.
In the photos you can see better peripheral illumination for cornering and I like the color temperature too, it stands out in the crowd without being too blue or "cool".

Overall I feel it's a good upgrade and am happy with the purchase - to improve visibility to others and it obviously should give a much better spread for cornering at night.
The Cyclops doesn't seems to have quite a focused beam projecting light dead center downrange as the OEM lamp, but that's something I can deal with for the other benefits. My OEM high beam was good when going straight, but when turning it left a lot to be desired being a little too focused.
Par for the course to not have a perfectly focused beam when you change a light source and far better than any HID conversion lamp created beam spread I've tried to use.

**EDIT**
At the time of writing this it wasn't know we needed to drill a hole in the housing to allow some ventilation, there's now photos in later posts and I recommend following the new Cyclops instructions.

3600 Lumen H4, H6M LED Headlight bulb

Shot on manual exposure, what you see is what you get.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thank you.. Very nice!!, I really looking forward to purchase this item, just some of the question. This one is just plug and play right? I don't need to modified anything ?? How is the installation?

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plug and Ride! Yes it is, though it's a tight squeeze and you have to stuff the plug and ballast thingy above the headlight base. Sorry I don't have any photos of the Light before it went in and can't photograph the inside of the housing with it on... lol

You'll see when you get it, just know the plugs and thingy can't go behind the lamp base when installing. It also helps to have a little screwdriver to push the little headlight bracket that is attached to the screw that hold the retaining ring for the headlight in.
If you haven't removed and installed the headlight in the housing you might want to practice before you install the LED.

You will have to change the base on the LED light, out comes with 3, only one matches the H4 lamp on your bikes so it's easy to figure out which one.

Sorry I didn't document it better, just got back from a camping trip then did the full 12K service today so things have been a little hectic!

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, that's for dirt bikes that run AC power, our bike and the LED light run on DC power.

Just the light, a phillips screwdriver and a small flathead will do it.

OH, and the rubber boot that seals the OEM lamp you'll be removing does't go back in.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I guess this photo was missed out.
"Shot on manual exposure, what you see is what you get."

I'm buying this LED thing as soon as its available... very appreciate..

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Holy smokes! That is awesome!

I'll get one too! :) ...and hopefully it's not too much shipping to Oz...

Thanks for sharing Lost! Especially the effort of taking the before and after shots!

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm buying this LED thing as soon as its available... very appreciate..
Glad to help spend your money! :D

Holy smokes! That is awesome!

I'll get one too! :) ...and hopefully it's not too much shipping to Oz...

Thanks for sharing Lost! Especially the effort of taking the before and after shots!
Right on!

If shipping seems too much I could send it to you too for face value.... throw some dirt on it, put it in a plain box and call it broken used parts so no import tax... ;) The vendor seems like a good dude though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
high beam does not seem to throw light further ahead (thus higher), instead appears to be throwing more light wider and directly in front.

In other words if Low beam LED is ok and not blinding other drivers, then High beam would also be ok?

·
Registered
244 Posts
i am curious about longevity of the bulb especially in hot weather. How hot is the head light housing getting? I run my high all the time during the day and if this unit is such a tight squeeze I am worried about heat dissipation

Any pictures of the unit from the front on/off? What did you do with the BMW running lamp?

·
Administrator
12,394 Posts
*EDIT* Right on!

If shipping seems too much I could send it to you too for face value.... throw some dirt on it, put it in a plain box and call it broken used parts so no import tax... ;) *EDIT*
Hey if you are not careful you might be starting your own export business! lol ;)

Seroiusly though, an excellent post. I haven't used my bike on unlit roads yet, but if I think the beam needs improving I'll be contacting this guy. :)

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i am curious about longevity of the bulb especially in hot weather. How hot is the head light housing getting? I run my high all the time during the day and if this unit is such a tight squeeze I am worried about heat dissipation

Any pictures of the unit from the front on/off? What did you do with the BMW running lamp?

I was concerned about the heat dissipation I run high beam all the time too, but after reading through the thread on ADVrider (follow the link in my OP) it seems that the thermal management system and fan in the Cyclops takes care of that, even in a sealed housing like ours.
Take a look in the thread (all 78 pages!), the vendor talks a lot about heat dissipation and his design. The light has an 18 month warranty and the vendor seems to support his product very well, so I have no worries if this becomes an issue. Time will tell... :)

I can hear the Cyclops fan kick on when I turn on the high beam (with the motor off)

BMW running light is still there, no issues.
There's a "front" photo in my OP with it on, what are you looking for?

Here's a page on ADV that shows the unit and install for your viewing pleasure. :)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701&page=79

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701&page=62

high beam does not seem to throw light further ahead (thus higher), instead appears to be throwing more light wider and directly in front.

In other words if Low beam LED is ok and not blinding other drivers, then High beam would also be ok?

How the Cyclops works is there's 3 LED's in it, two of them come on for low beam and then 1 is added for high beam. That's why the Cyclops has a better spread with the high beam on compared to the OEM lamp that "switches" between high and low beam, changing the light source location and therefore changing how and which reflectors it's using. With the bike engine off, but the ignition on only the single high beam LED comes on, that how I can see where it's projecting light for high beam.
There is certainly more light up high with the high beam on, I think that when taking photos of the high beam, the 2 LED low beams just overpower how the camera renders it, even though it was shot with the same exposure settings.
I will try to get a photo with just the high beam on (engine and low beam LED off) to demonstrate soon.

But to answer your question is hard since I've found in my travels that drivers willingness to deal with motorcycle lights depends on you location. Here in California where there's many bikes on the road year round and it's a very "motorsport" friendly place, many of them with Aux lighting, it seems people don't have as much of an issue with bright lights coming at them from bikes. I run dual race LED's AND a 55w (illegal) HID light on my Husaberg here with no real issues, I KNOW there's a lot of light projected in front of me.
I seldom get a flash from people even when running my high beams at night and always have my high beams on during the day and at night when in town or on a lit highway. (I do turn them off when right behind a driver at a stop light though in town)
In other places I've been or lived, like in the Midwest, drivers seem to be more sensitive to motorbike high beams, sometimes even flashing me during the day. The Husaberg lighting I have would never fly there, cops would be all over me...

I think that these LED lights do throw more light downrange, though like I said it's more diffused instead of focused, so it depends on the drivers in you area willingness to have the light in the eyes.
Me, personally, unless I'm creating a dangerous situation, like being on a dark country road at night and really blinding a driver, the point of having bright lights IS to be noticed, to get the person who's texting ATTENTION. Annoying drivers is my GOAL, blinding them when is could matter for their (and mine) safety is not.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're welcome!

And yes, the snazzy little Roundel stay, this is just like replacing the lamp and nothing more.

Cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
I ordered mine from them via Amazon last week (thanks for the tip LOST) and it was the last one..They were surprised it was even listed as in stock..
Look forward to install and feedback...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wonder if this is the original part:

motorcycle headlights sale, View motorcycle headlights sale, IDEA Product Details from Guangzhou Gaodi Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

it looks identical, however the rating for this is 20w on high and 10w on low, and the self-advertising says 3000 lumens, not 3600. If you search for "3600 lumen", or more watts, on alibaba, you get larger more substantial parts.

3000 lumens? 20watts - assuming a super efficient LED - is 1800 lumens, MAX

A stock halogen bmw bulb at 13.2v is about 1000 lumens.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts