BMW NineT Forum banner

261 - 276 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have you tried the parking LEDs that work for me?

I’d imagine the stock BMW light is pretty cheaply made, it is certainly a joke in terms of brightness and safety. The Cyclops LED is way better, in a different world actually, Chinese or not.

I personally would not be soldering resistors into the light enclosure on such a nice motorcycle. That’s a worse solution than a Chinese LED imo.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello Hman,

no, I soldered a better cap onto the sub harness that has the parallel resistor on it. I didn’t touch the bike’s harness. I can return it to stock in 5 minutes. Was the picture not big enough?

be well, Tom

Reactions: gristle

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
554 Posts
I soldered a better T10 socket onto my resistor harness and tested that at 5.5 Watts, which is more than the OEM incandescent bulb produces. I installed that, and it works: no lamp fault, no code.
Any info on that socket you soldered in. I have the same resistors and the same problem with the socket being absolute junk that doesn't fit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello Forgot,

these were inexpensive but excellent quality. I put a little Teflon grease around the outside and they slipped in without undue effort and made a nice seal.

Reactions: BaldyDave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good possibility it's the LED running lamp that is throwing the code. Cyclops works fine on mine. LED running light causes problems.
Can you send a link to the product you purchased, and does anybody have a positive experience with any other LED headlamp bulbs? I want to change mine out to see better at night, and I am eyeing the ODX Compak, but I cannot find where to buy any ODX H4s. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I gave up on the led headlight i got error code no matter what i tried
So i got a Osram Night Braker Laser and a Led drl its ok for now

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Pure 2018
32 Posts
I've tried to get my head around the headlight upgrade commentary. I have a 2018 Pure and want to stay with the existing light fitting proper. I'm contemplating switching to the CYCLOPS 10.0H4 LED Headlight with the T10 (2825) LED parking light bulb. As I understand it, members are saying the main fitting (H4) works well and does not throw up error codes as long as the OEM/stock parking lamp remains in place. However, when the parking lamp is replaced with the T10 LED there are often error codes produced. Is my understanding correct? Would it not seem odd (from an appearance viewpoint amongst others) to run the H4 LED whilst retaining the stock parking lamp? One other point seems to be that if the H4 is installed, the rubber "backing " cap is not as there are problems with the fit. Is that correct?...although the commentary seems to say that doesn't matter. Finally, I have approached Cyclops regarding the apparent problem with it's T10 LED and they advised today "I'm not aware of our T10 bulb throwing codes in the R9T. Once in a while we will run into that on the G's, so it is a possibility"
I'd be grateful for members views. Cheers, Hank.

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
732 Posts
As I understand it, members are saying the main fitting (H4) works well and does not throw up error codes as long as the OEM/stock parking lamp remains in place. However, when the parking lamp is replaced with the T10 LED there are often error codes produced. Is my understanding correct?
I have the cyclops AND the T10 LED and never had an issue or an error code on my bike (2016).
I don't know if my bike had previously been "coded" to have LEDs - e.g. when I swapped from normal OEM indicators to BMW LED indicators I didn't need to add any resistors - they just worked. Which is not the experience others have had.
The T10 LEDs are cheap, so I'd just see what happens.

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
732 Posts
I have the cyclops AND the T10 LED and never had an issue or an error code on my bike (2016).
I don't know if my bike had previously been "coded" to have LEDs - e.g. when I swapped from normal OEM indicators to BMW LED indicators I didn't need to add any resistors - they just worked. Which is not the experience others have had.
The T10 LEDs are cheap, so I'd just see what happens.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've tried to get my head around the headlight upgrade commentary. I have a 2018 Pure and want to stay with the existing light fitting proper. I'm contemplating switching to the CYCLOPS 10.0H4 LED Headlight with the T10 (2825) LED parking light bulb. As I understand it, members are saying the main fitting (H4) works well and does not throw up error codes as long as the OEM/stock parking lamp remains in place. However, when the parking lamp is replaced with the T10 LED there are often error codes produced. Is my understanding correct? Would it not seem odd (from an appearance viewpoint amongst others) to run the H4 LED whilst retaining the stock parking lamp? One other point seems to be that if the H4 is installed, the rubber "backing " cap is not as there are problems with the fit. Is that correct?...although the commentary seems to say that doesn't matter. Finally, I have approached Cyclops regarding the apparent problem with it's T10 LED and they advised today "I'm not aware of our T10 bulb throwing codes in the R9T. Once in a while we will run into that on the G's, so it is a possibility"
I'd be grateful for members views. Cheers, Hank.
I put them in and then took them both out because I didn’t wish to hack my harness. I don’t do a lot of night driving so it’s not a huge deal. I haven’t sold the bulbs because perhaps I’ll tackle the problem in the future.

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
732 Posts
I put them in and then took them both out because I didn’t wish to hack my harness. I don’t do a lot of night driving so it’s not a huge deal. I haven’t sold the bulbs because perhaps I’ll tackle the problem in the future.
Both bulbs are just plug and play?
Just mentioning as not sure what you mean by "hack my harness" ?
I might just be mis-interpreting something.

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Pure 2018
32 Posts
Thanks for your input guys. I've proceeded and ordered from Cyclops both the H4 (main) and T10 (parking) LED's. I'll report the results in due course. It may be some time as H4 out of stock until next month and T10 "out of stock"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is everyone installing the standard Cyclops H4 or the “Ultra” model for $10 more?

Any drawbacks with the Ultra model? Is it longer or does it have a bigger ballast and harder to install?

Does it draw more power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
732 Posts
Is everyone installing the standard Cyclops H4 or the “Ultra” model for $10 more?

Any drawbacks with the Ultra model? Is it longer or does it have a bigger ballast and harder to install?

Does it draw more power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As far as I know it's exactly the same size - just a different configuration of LEDs for high beam.

"Now available in the original version or the Ultra version. The original uses the front two emitters for low beam and then switches to the rear two emitters for high beam, The Ultra uses the front two emitters for low beam and then runs all 4 emitters on high beam at a reduced wattage. wattage is 38 watts on low and 38 watts on high. "

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Pure 2018
32 Posts
Refer above. I installed the H4 ULTRA and T10 Cyclops LEDS in my 2018 Pure. They've been in now for approx 3 months. ALWAYS on start up I get an instant "fault" code which disappears almost immediately: hence not an issue. I can't assist re "standard" vs "ultra" main LED but what I can say is the running light is SUPERB compared with the stock globe (& no doubt high beam likewise although I don't ride at night). I'm able to compare the new globe with the LED in my Z900 RS (which is very bright) & I can confidently say they are commensurate. So I highly recommend the Cyclops LEDS.

261 - 276 of 276 Posts