BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago, I noticed some grime around my right cylinder head, and saw that oil is seeping through the bolts on the cylinder cover.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Steering part Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Automotive tire Water Alloy wheel Rim

It's only coming through when the engine is warm, and in very small amount. I'm gonna take off the crash bars, clean it up, and take it in early next week, but anyone else have a similar issue? I took a slight spill on the right side last June (prompting my investment in crash bars), and had a neighbor knock it onto it's left side a couple of months ago, but never saw a drop of oil until now.

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
Only thing I will add is to be very careful not to over-torque the bolts. They do not need much tightening and the torque setting is very low. The bolts can snap if over-tightened and this has been logged on this forum.

Reactions: Dirtmerchant

·
Registered
21 R9T
223 Posts
Just on the off chance could your case breather be blocked or restricted, causing pressure build up.

·
Registered
2018 r nine t pure
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I finally got around to loosening the bolts, cleaning and re-torquing to 10nm, then rode around ling enough for the engine temp to rise above 200 degrees f. There isn't as much oil seepage, but still a tiny bit under each bolt after riding. I'm thinking I'll repeat this process again on Monday to see if it stops all together, and in the mean time keep an extra vigilant eye on my oil levels till my anual service is due.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts