BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2022 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my engine from top and noticed left cylinder head is ahead compared to right one. Then I searched internet but couldn’t find anything about it. I think it’s all same for BMW boxer engines not only for R NineT. Anyone knows what’s the reason they designed it this way? Sorry if this was discussed before, I made a quick search but couldn’t find anything.
Automotive design Art Machine Cylinder Font

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Correct. All like that.
Crank shaft clearance

I think Wunderlich or touratech has a cylinder head alignment tool for sale but it's pricey.
Yeah, along with left-handed Allen wrenches …! P.S. take my advice Deja, and don’t work on your bike, take it to a mechanic or the dealership …

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
BMW knows what they are doing.
Im glad these bikes are built in Germany. Its hard for me to switch to my GF's Triumph now and then. I can't get used to the handlebars mounted on the right side of her bike.
It’s crazy Baloo, I road a very old Indian motorbike not to long ago (before they stopped making them) and the foot brake and gear shifter were switched … talk about confusing and requiring some serious concentration when approaching a fast corner … scared the you know what out of me a few times …
……..Blitz

• Haha
Reactions: Baloo

·
Registered
2022 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s crazy Baloo, I road a very old Indian motorbike not to long ago (before they stopped making them) and the foot brake and gear shifter were switched … talk about confusing and requiring some serious concentration when approaching a fast corner … scared the you know what out of me a few times …
……..Blitz
Royal Enfield had them switched too, until 90s iirc. I had a Bullet that way and it’s indeed pretty confusing especially if you learned how to ride on a newer bike.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
My friends '72 ironhead (Harley) has the foot controls switched as well. The reasoning for that one was for dirt track racing. You can go around the corners sliding your left foot on the ground and still shift through the gears with your right foot.
🤔 why don’t they just race in the other direction …. 🤷‍♂️ …. Blitz

1 - 20 of 47 Posts