BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I forgot all about it too, Ric. I was just reminded when I put those auxiliary lights on the engine bars. Took me a second to realize why the light patterns weren't lining up.
I went through the same “Ah Ha” moment when I tried the first time to bend (instead of pie-slice) my new exhaust headers and they weren’t the same …. Duhhhhh ! …… Blitz

Reactions: Baloo

·
Registered
2021 R Nine T
65 Posts
V-twins (and most piston driven engines) are the same but it's not that noticeable under the fuel tank. Pistons can't connect on the same plane to the crankshaft or would interfere themselves. The exception are radial engines used in old airplanes, where the size and multiple pistons allowed them to connect on a single plane of the shaft, some of them also had different plane pistons arrangements though. The required size for that is not practical for smaller applications such as motorcycle engines, however some people have done it with... interesting results. Check below.

Here's a V-twin top view:

Line Font Automotive tire Gas Auto part

And a radial engine:

Silver Material property Art Font Aluminium

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Shorts Cloud

Cheers

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
161 Posts
It’s crazy Baloo, I road a very old Indian motorbike not to long ago (before they stopped making them) and the foot brake and gear shifter were switched … talk about confusing and requiring some serious concentration when approaching a fast corner … scared the you know what out of me a few times …
……..Blitz
Pretty sure Triumph were up until maybe 1975 as well. My '72 650 was right hand shift. I seem to recall it was pressure from the US importers that forced the change to putting the gear shift on the left.

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
878 Posts
Before 1973 American and British motorcycle shifted on the right while the japs were backwards on the left. In 1973 motorcycle safety foundation made the manufactures comply to left side shift right side brake. I used to keep a 1968 magneto sportster around for bar hopping I sometimes got in trouble as that shift pedal don't slow you down much. Never hit anything but scared the hell outa me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Guzzis are the same, except closer to symmetrical as the rods share a common crank pin, but there is still a difference.

Makes it fun on the Guzzis anyway, not sure about the Beemers, when you haul off the headers and then forget which side is which as one pipe in ever so slightly longer than the other

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Hey! My mom was a woman.
Her name was Steve.

Just kidding. Her name was Gladys but i would call her Steve in public to piss her off.
I know just what you mean Baloo …..
Were you angry at Steve because she kept calling you Alice, or was it the dress she made you wear to school? My Mom “Jack” wouldn’t buy me a pack to carry my books to school but she did give me a
hand-me-down purse …but I hate Pink … it doesn’t go with my blue eye shadow AT ALL !…….Blitz🫤

• Haha
Reactions: Chopper_Bob
21 - 40 of 46 Posts