BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks!

I was wondering how many people on the forum have cylinder head guards on their R9T. Do you think it's a must-have and worth the money?

Doc.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the Machineart Moto guards and they're great. They're not a must have but they are a good piece of mind. I'm not too concerned with dropping the bike but more so just something hitting them while riding by or in a parking lot.

Here's a pic of them on my bike

·
Registered
892 Posts
mine are scratched and I have the BMW ones the ugly ones.
and yes they are scratched up and really do not know why because I do not recall scratching them

so I guess I like the very little security which hey provide

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Machineart Moto guards and they're great. They're not a must have but they are a good piece of mind. I'm not too concerned with dropping the bike but more so just something hitting them while riding by or in a parking lot.

Here's a pic of them on my bike

Wow! Nice bike :10: What kind of license plate holder do you have?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've got Machineart ones too. I'd highly recommend them; well made, great fit and look good too.
I've not fitted them because I'm worried about dropping the bike, it's more about catching the heads whilst manoeuvring in the garage or when moving one of my other bikes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Me too

I have the cheap plastic guards that I thought would fail at the first hurdle, but after a couple of slowish off road spills I can concur they're better than they look, in one piece but cosmetically (fu***d) I'll replace them in the summer..

There are the X moto guards that I think are better, but I'm happy with the bmw ones

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
In my humble opinion (and to be historically correct) I have opted for the Wunderlich Crash Bar as guards for the big ears Emma has . . . keep them in black and they fit nicely with the frame + give a good holding point for extra lighting ;-)

·
Registered
183 Posts
The OEM ones are not just plastic. They have high strength fiber glass weaved in them with rubber cushions that makes them very efficient to absorb impacts.

Their problem is that fine road dust gets between the rubber cushions and the painted head guards and lightly scuffs the paint.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The OEM ones are not just plastic. They have high strength fiber glass weaved in them with rubber cushions that makes them very efficient to absorb impacts.

Their problem is that fine road dust gets between the rubber cushions and the painted head guards and lightly scuffs the paint.
Hi, didn't know that, they look great & expected them to fail but to my surprise after a couple of medium/harsh drops they are still intact.

I'll paint the covers if need be at least there is no gravel rash on them..

Great info..
Thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
Machineart Moto

Another vote for Machineart Moto X-heads. They are light, durable, inexpensive and look good. Nothing is going to protect your bike in a high speed crash; so cylinder head protection is really only meant for parking lot tipovers and (maybe) low speed falls. Crash bars are heavy and belong on off road bikes. I don't want my R nine T looking like a dwarf GSA.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another vote for Machineart Moto X-heads. They are light, durable, inexpensive and look good. Nothing is going to protect your bike in a high speed crash; so cylinder head protection is really only meant for parking lot tipovers and (maybe) low speed falls. Crash bars are heavy and belong on off road bikes. I don't want my R nine T looking like a dwarf GSA.
Nice bike you got there! That Blue Planet version is über cool! I saw one last week at my local dealer. I see you got the optional Akrapovic exhaust. Makes it look even better :bowdown: I was wondering if it's still possible to add bags to your bike if you want to make a roadtrip. Have you tried that before?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi, didn't know that, they look great & expected them to fail but to my surprise after a couple of medium/harsh drops they are still intact.

I'll paint the covers if need be at least there is no gravel rash on them..

Great info..
Thanks

The scuffs only happen on the front rubber pads and they are barely visible up close. Not enough to warrant painting. (you can remove one and look under).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thank you for the compliment, Dr. F.

I am going to try a Unit Garage bag and mount (right side only) for carrying a few small items that collectively don't fit in the rear hump (tire puncture kit, cable lock, rain gear, etc.). I have a very capable GS for long trips and large loads; so the R nine T can remain a light, day ride only roadster for Starbuck's runs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I had SW Motech bars on my Triumph, and they were bomb proof. Bit heavy they are so strong, but that weight would be down low. Never checked if they were available on the NineT. When I get my newer NineTz, I'll have to check that out. I'd still put the Machine Art xheads on though, for more protection. I'm a bit clumsy when I park.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry - I ended up putting Wunderlich bars on mine after I my bike was knocked over in a parking lot. The fall really scratched up the heads - then the person tried to pick the bike up and the weight was too much and he dropped it on the other side - - so I had a "Scratched Head tag team". I never noticed any additional weight drawback - or looks IMO.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 84 Posts