BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Sorry - I ended up putting Wunderlich bars on mine after I my bike was knocked over in a parking lot. The fall really scratched up the heads - then the person tried to pick the bike up and the weight was too much and he dropped it on the other side - - so I had a "Scratched Head tag team". I never noticed any additional weight drawback - or looks IMO.
Yeah, they look good too. I found that SWMotech do indeed make bars too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think they look good - - I see a lot of posts that seem to really hate crash bars - but they don't bother me and are less obtrusive than I originally thought. The only drawback with the Wunderlich was mounting them - there are a few factory bolts that I simply could not get off no matter how hard I tried. I ended up taking it to the dealer who installed them at a pretty reasonable price. I also installed front & rear sliders from T-Rex that may be overkill, but why not - - I ride in NJ

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Finally bought MachineArtMoto cylinder head guards, after lot of researching.

Seem super-solid for such a construction, and with aligning the rubber cushion and the sequence the instructions gave, they mounted in a few minutes per side. Hopefully I won't ever find out how protective exactly they are. Oh, and no noticeable increase in engine temps, btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
mine are scratched and I have the BMW ones the ugly ones.
and yes they are scratched up and really do not know why because I do not recall scratching them

so I guess I like the very little security which hey provide
Funny. I noticed my stock valve covers had scratches early on that i couldn't understand where they came from. Thats when i went with the "Machineartmoto" covers. I painted them. Happy with the result and protection. Just a little extra to reduce the odds of busting open the valve covers and thereby immobilizing the bike. Wouldnt expect much protection beyond 5-10mph. They do add maybe 3/8-3/4" width to one of the widest parts of the bike. With my Rizoma Reverse Retro mirrors, Im pretty sure the heads are the widest part of the bike now. I still filter pretty good with the bike though

·
Registered
320 Posts
Definitely recommend them. They seem to get the best user feedback. The OEM FRP ones are similarly constructed, should hold up fairly well, while offering good protection and being lower profile visually, and probably not adding width to the bike. But for a little more, the machineart ones cover more, and likely protect better in my estimation. You can do any color you want. I used automotive high temp spray paint, aluminum look, masked off a pattern, baked at 170F for an hour or more. Pretty durable so far. I left the leading face unpainted since it will get pockmarked with road debris.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
So glad I had these on my Racer this past few days. After more than 5000 miles without incident, I dropped my bike not once, but TWICE, at walking speed! :eek::blink::wacko::blush:

Both drops were <1mph at impact, both to the right, and both times I was able to buffer the drop with leg effort. First drop, I was rolling while seated, engine off, late night(tired), tried to take a tight turn, wasnt focused, grabbed front brake with full lock(bad idea), and didnt have my foot where it should have been (needed to trample a garden, oh well). Second drop, the next day, started off in a tight turn on a cold engine, which promoted and resulted in a stall - instadrop onto asphalt, with luggage on the bike. With my leg slowing the fall, it happened in slow motion, me cursing myself "not again" on the way down.

The bike is virtually undamaged. A $20 rear slider prevented contact of nice OEM parts with the ground(actually, a Trex one like shown above). Only stuff touching the ground once down were the two tires and the cylinder head (guard). My bar ends (nice Rizoma mirrors, and led lights) never made contact, nor did my H&B tail rack. Only other damage/contact was the bottom outside edge of the brake lever, and the foot peg scraper was bent a little(longer on the Racer, with the rear sets); neither is noticeable.

As for the guards, they are only a little scuffed. Ill clean them up with sandpaper and respray. Should look nearly new. Great investment.

All it takes is a moment of not focusing to have a slow speed drop. Every NineT should have a head guard in place. If this had happened on concrete, I imagine a cracked head cover might have resulted. This is my third drop in 11,000+ miles of riding. The other was also a stall starting in 1st into a turn. Need to keep those feet out!

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Thinking about the Trex as wel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Here is the BMW Aluminium cylinder cover protection

Attachments

Reactions: oguzbay

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do any (or all) of these head protectors work with the Option719 billet cam covers? I presume the mounting locations are the same but am not sure if the Option719 covers are taller/wider/differently shaped/etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
571 Posts
Do any (or all) of these head protectors work with the Option719 billet cam covers? I presume the mounting locations are the same but am not sure if the Option719 covers are taller/wider/differently shaped/etc.
I know we have to think about practicalities ... but it would be a real shame to cover those Option719 valve covers..

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey I've just bought some of those ugly ? ones did contemplate getting them anodised black !! but guessed I would put them on before I do any damage!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know we have to think about practicalities ... but it would be a real shame to cover those Option719 valve covers..
Agreed, but it would be a bigger shame coughing up a grand for a new one if it got rashed up. :wacko:

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
571 Posts
Agreed, but it would be a bigger shame coughing up a grand for a new one if it got rashed up. :wacko:
And there's your dilemma ...
I have the BMW black plastic ones.. they're not so intrusive and I plan to spray them silver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
And there's your dilemma ...
I have the BMW black plastic ones.. they're not so intrusive and I plan to spray them silver.

Those would let more of the beautiful billet shine through. :eek:k:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Been thinking about a set of these when I get my pure, just can't make my mind up whether to get the OEM lookalikes or heavier looking ones as the OP.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts