BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Plastic ones order, I looked at the (nice) alloy ones but as I intend to fit crash bars eventually.....

·
Banned
660 Posts
I had a small tumble in a car park with mine, BEFORE i fit my head protectors and it pissed me off immensely!

I now run the BMW black ones like many on this thread, they're light, unobtrusive and cover what needs to be covered. The MOTOART ones look good and i would have bought them but here in OZ they only sell as a pair which if i mark one and want to replace it becomes a hassle. I do like the look of the BMW ones though and mates i ride with haven't even noticed them so i'm happy with that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
BMW pattern head guards have arrived, but they have no instructions included.

A search on the BMW site turned up some instructions that suit my guards. It's a good job I looked, there's an earthing bolt that needs relocating.

When I collect my bike next week this will be the first job.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Scratched the heads on my R1150 R and got ticked off, so with the Scrambler I finally got MotoMachine guards and love them. Tough suckers, and no oil temp increase under identical circumstances from what I can tell. Not a visual highlight, but highly recommended.

Before/after pix:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,

I apologize in advance if I shouldn't post here but I am new to the forum and I am not sure if I should creat a new post for this. I have purchased the cover guards from BMW while I was travelling in Europe (there is no option to buy where I live in Morocco) but I have an issue with installing the one on the right side of my Scrambler, one of the screws is way bigger than the 2 other ones I am not sure if I should remove it or not (you can see it on the picture below).

Thank you for your help

Souli

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes you cam remove that screw. I'm not sure why it's different like that. No apparent function that I have detected.

·
Banned
660 Posts
Yes you cam remove that screw. I'm not sure why it's different like that. No apparent function that I have detected.
That is the earth point for jump starting the bike, most move it down to the lower cover, you can see the bolt below it in the pic.

·
Registered
199 Posts
mine are scratched and I have the BMW ones the ugly ones.
and yes they are scratched up and really do not know why because I do not recall scratching them

so I guess I like the very little security which hey provide
I was wondering which OEM guards do you have are thez the aluminium ones?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thank you very much for your help, this was indeed very helpful and I mounted the right side today and moved the earth point down a little, here is a picture if it can help anyone else in the future:

View attachment 126176
Hi Soli,

Please can you tell me where exactly did you buy these protectors, they are original BMW, right??

·
Registered
199 Posts
mine are scratched and I have the BMW ones the ugly ones.
and yes they are scratched up and really do not know why because I do not recall scratching them

so I guess I like the very little security which hey provide
Thank you very much for your help, this was indeed very helpful and I mounted the right side today and moved the earth point down a little, here is a picture if it can help anyone else in the future:

View attachment 126176
These are perfect looking cylinder head protectors, this is exactly what I plan to buy and put on my 9T Roadster. But my concern is once this unusual screw is moved from it's original place, which was still within the Valve head cover, right? Will it still work, seeing how it's meant for grounding... Just seems to me it must be used, or better yet reused, again as part of the engine case somewhere, somehow ??

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,952 Posts
These are perfect looking cylinder head protectors, this is exactly what I plan to buy and put on my 9T Roadster. But my concern is once this unusual screw is moved from it's original place, which was still within the Valve head cover, right? Will it still work, seeing how it's meant for grounding... Just seems to me it must be used, or better yet reused, again as part of the engine case somewhere, somehow ??
Did you read back through this thread?
The answer was given in post #47! ;)
They tell you to remove the cylinder cover screw which holds the plastic trim piece below where the earthing bolt originally is and to replace it with the earthing post. This then leaves the earthing post's original location free to mount the head guards.

The instructions are on the BMW manual page, hidden in the left menu if that helps. http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/manuals/manuals_main.html&notrack=1

41 - 60 of 84 Posts