BMW NineT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
These are perfect looking cylinder head protectors, this is exactly what I plan to buy and put on my 9T Roadster. But my concern is once this unusual screw is moved from it's original place, which was still within the Valve head cover, right? Will it still work, seeing how it's meant for grounding... Just seems to me it must be used, or better yet reused, again as part of the engine case somewhere, somehow ??
I actually moved the screw back down to another location and it is there if I need it (I am travelling at the moment so I can't take a picture of the bike but I will when I get back)

@MallcyD I was thinking of doing the same thing actually !!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I actually moved the screw back down to another location and it is there if I need it (I am travelling at the moment so I can't take a picture of the bike but I will when I get back)

@MallcyD I was thinking of doing the same thing actually !!
They might weigh a bit more, but it's more piece of mind as I've got quite a narrow gate to get through into my yard
Must admit I've put the earth connector bolt in a pot with other things I've removed.... I should really fit to another location as I plan on doing more touring on it next year

·
Registered
145 Posts
They tell you to remove the cylinder cover screw which holds the plastic trim piece below where the earthing bolt originally is and to replace it with the earthing post. This then leaves the earthing post's original location free to mount the head guards.

The instructions are on the BMW manual page, hidden in the left menu if that helps.
The 'odd' screw is the earthing post for jump starting etc.

This earlier post will help on relocating,.

Just noticed the link was deads so I've replaced it with the 'entry page' link. just select your model and lok for the plastic head guards.

HG.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I too really like the Machine Art Moto guards and I installed a set yesterday. Great company with outstanding communication. I think they look great, and from all I 've read are excellent when called to duty. And if you should you be unfortunate to damage one you can buy just one to replace it. A nice option. Also, a thank you to the contributors to this thread as I was not aware of the ground lug relocation plan. I had put mine in the drawer in the hopes of never needing it. Today it gets reinstalled.

New ground lug location per BMW as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bought these chinese ones that look like the machineart but for half the price. Not sure what I will get - if it comes with screws, etc. But even the rubber inside looks the same.

New ground lug location - TOP TIP - Thank you!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Howdy folks!

I was wondering how many people on the forum have cylinder head guards on their R9T. Do you think it's a must-have and worth the money?

Doc.
Mr Funkenstine Sir,
If you after the look or farkle then fine, they show your putting jewelry on your girl but if you think they will save you some damage if you lay her down forget it. Nothing sold will help that. If you custom fab up some solid core stainless steel rods 3/4” thick or thicker and properly anchor them to the main frame with engineered supports ...that might help in low speed collisions if you have to throw the bike and get away from it. What’s sold across the counter as protection is good if your bike falls over at a streetlight because you didn’t get your foot down in time and that’s about it. If your buying for protection you’ll be disappointed. If it’s for glitter, have at it. My thoughts on that..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Mr Funkenstine Sir,
If you after the look or farkle then fine, they show your putting jewelry on your girl but if you think they will save you some damage if you lay her down forget it. Nothing sold will help that. If you custom fab up some solid core stainless steel rods 3/4” thick or thicker and properly anchor them to the main frame with engineered supports ...that might help in low speed collisions if you have to throw the bike and get away from it. What’s sold across the counter as protection is good if your bike falls over at a streetlight because you didn’t get your foot down in time and that’s about it. If your buying for protection you’ll be disappointed. If it’s for glitter, have at it. My thoughts on that..
This opinion may be a bit broad. I have read many real world testimonials on the MaM guards and most are pretty impressive. I do think they're more than a pretty face. I hope I never find out.

Here's a few basic things I found on a quick search, folks can do the legwork.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cylinder head guards have proven themselves countless times over the decades that they’ve been used. Are they perfect protection? Of course not. But they help in everything from a tip over to a crash.

About 16 years ago, I hit a deer at more than 45 mph on an 1150GS. The bike went sliding down the pavement and into a ditch.

One guard was nearly ground through but the valve cover, while scratched, was intact. That is what the sacrificial protection was designed to do.

I rode the bike home another 350 miles.

ps. I was in quality gear and, beyond some bruises, only had a couple broken bones in one hand.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The top-quality MaAMoto guards (yes, I've had a pair fitted to an earlier GS LC) would surely have prevented this damage to a mate's Roadster from a low-speed drop and slide (LC engine shown). After repairs, he subsequently bought and installed a pair. "Too late!" she cried!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bought these chinese ones that look like the machineart but for half the price. Not sure what I will get - if it comes with screws, etc. But even the rubber inside looks the same.

Any update on these covers?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi mate, on my chinese ones which are copy of the machineart; I am happy with. Cannot compare like for like. But is a low tech product so not as much room for going wrong. Had them for 4 weeks and no issues. Personal opinion is that they dont take away from the look of the bike. They would only protrect for a drop or an inconsiderate idiot parking too close that could scratch your covers. A fall while riding at low speed I think would partially protect but also luck would be an element. So they protect against screw ups and idiots but dont think accidents. Safe riding. Pistonlegs

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'd be prepared to try a pair of these cheap Chinese covers, but am wary right now of possible endless shipping delays from China. Anyone had any very recent experiences of orders/ deliveries from vendors there? TIA...

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don’t appear to have a grounding bolt on my bike! Very annoying, as I’ve only just had some bits shipped over from Germany, and had I known...
Doesn't matter really Tony - I "lost" mine when the engine guards were installed on my bike.
All the other bolts work just as well as a ground.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mr Funkenstine Sir,
If you after the look or farkle then fine, they show your putting jewelry on your girl but if you think they will save you some damage if you lay her down forget it. Nothing sold will help that. .... What’s sold across the counter as protection is good if your bike falls over at a streetlight because you didn’t get your foot down in time and that’s about it. If your buying for protection you’ll be disappointed. If it’s for glitter, have at it. My thoughts on that..
This is simply not true as far as the MachineArt Moto guards are concerned. I had the unhappy occasion to test the wet head version in a 35 mph lowside crash of my R1200R after encountering an oil spill in a turn on a hard asphalt road. The MAMo guard completely protected the head and wasn't anywhere near worn through in the process. Afterward, I only replaced the guard for aesthetic reasons. And the first thing I installed when I got my R9T was the X Head version!

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R9T Pure
154 Posts

Just a comment, I shy away from Chinese copies. They have stolen industrial designs for 40 years. I don't believe that regime is a friend.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts