BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
New member here. I have a 2016 R9T and noticed weird oxidation like stains on the left cylinder and even on the frame
I had a fuel leak which was rectified 95%
Mechanic said that it could leak again and if so would require fuel pump replacement

this is the picture
Can anyone tell me if it’s oil or fuel
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
214 Posts
By stain, do you mean that it doesn't come off with soap and water and some rubbing, or even mineral spirits?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn’t come off with soap and water however after my last service it was polished and removed and then a month after I see it built up again

·
Registered
304 Posts
It appears that there is degradation on several types of metal. I would rule out galvanic action. I would ask you ...do you ride in rain? Might be that you are picking up some chemical on the road that is doing this. Whatever the agent is It appears fairly aggressive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply
To answer your question, no I don’t ride in the rain as it barely rains here. This is only seen on the left cylinder side. When I gave it for service they did polish it and it was clean.
Note - sand storms quite often and even though my bike is parked in a shed. It’s not easy to escape the sand

·
Registered
214 Posts
Between oil or fuel, if there's no oily feel/residue I would go with fuel, especially since you've had a fuel leak, and might still have one. Looks like it mixed with dust to create that residue?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Is this residue "on" the metal? Or actualy etched "into" the metal..

You could try removing it with some commandant4 / WD40 and a brush / cloth.. then apply some ACF50 to protect the metal in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Between oil or fuel, if there's no oily feel/residue I would go with fuel, especially since you've had a fuel leak, and might still have one. Looks like it mixed with dust to create that residue?
You are right
The mechanic said it’s the recurring issue of fuel leak mixed with dust. Seems like I have to change the fuel pump (awaiting confirmation upon inspection)
The hoses and couplings were changed but didn’t fix it apparently

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this residue "on" the metal? Or actualy etched "into" the metal..

You could try removing it with some commandant4 / WD40 and a brush / cloth.. then apply some ACF50 to protect the metal in the future.
Yes it does rub off upon applying some force actually so yes WD40 will help
Thank you man

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
707 Posts
Has your tank been off of the bike? I'd wager one of the seals on the fuel lines from the fuel pump is damaged and causing a light spray while the bike is running. Does that area ever seem wet during/after a ride?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts