BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Typical - rainy day here in Scotland on one of my days off and can't get out on my bike. My loss might be your gain however, as I have time to quickly throw together a DIY on installing a Dart Flyscreen. In all honesty the instructions supplied by Dart are good, but perhaps this thread might help as well.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

1. T30 torx driver (Headlight)
2. T25 torx driver (wire cable tidies)
3. 3mm allen key (screen screws)
4. Cable ties (optional, but worth-while to have around if needed)
5. Electricians cutters/craft/stanley knife (cut cable ties)
6. Couple of towels/rags (protect bodywork)

WHAT DART SHOULD HAVE SHIPPED YOU

Screen in Presentation Box (including screen and bracket fixings) and screen bracket:

Screen and bracket fitting hardware:

And of course the screen fitting instructions plus a dart sticker (not pictured)...

THE INSTALL

The first thing that needs to be done is to remove the headlight, which is a simple process and involves removing the 2 screws that secure the headlight bracket to the bottom yoke. Dart suggest that you place a rag/towel on the mudguard and rest the headlight on it after removal, which seems right to me too. Use a T30 torx driver or similar socket set attachment.

Headlight removed and resting on the front mudguard:

OK, now the wire cable guide that attaches to the steering head tube needs taken off (T25 torx) so that the screen bracket will fit (I assume). I found it wise to cover the tank with a towel as the t-handled torx driver I used was very close to it... You'll also need something to remove a cable tie from the guide before you can remove it. I used electronics cutters.

There are no instructions to reinstall the cable guide so store it safely.

Next we have to remove the 4 T25 torx screws that secure the instrument console to it's carrying bracket. This can be a little fiddly and I found that 2 of the screws had been given the blue thread lock treatment so they are a little stiff to remove (but not excessively so). I found things were made easier by moving the steering to get access to one of the screws. Care needed here as you don't want the headlight to fall off the mudguard. The headlight wouldn't exactly fall far due to the wiring loom, but still might get scraped against the forks.

There is another wire cable tidy (apparently no longer required - so that goes into storage too) which attaches to one of the 4 screws on the underside of the console mounting bracket:

Note the blue thread lock on the cable guide screw:

That's the disassembly finished. Store the stock screws and wire cable tidies, they won't be required.

Now the fun begins! Install the 4 aluminium bushes into the holes of the console bracket. The narrow ends of the bushes should snap into place and be held by the console bracket. The two longer 15mm bushes go in the inside holes, the 12mm bushes (obviously) fill the remaining two outer holes:

They should only require light pressure to push into place:

(By the way my finger nails aren't dirty, it's a photo "trick of the light" thing, I guess! lol ;))

And seen from above, the properly installed bushes should look like this:

The next step is to attach the flyscreen bracket to the console bracket using the 4 long allen screws provided by Dart. As Dart puts it, you have to align the screen bracket to the console bracket forming a "sandwich" and then align this to the holes under the bottom yoke. I found the easiest way was to partially install one of the screws into the sandwich assembly and use it to "feel" for the hole under the yoke, and then lightly screwing it into place by a few turns, taking care to make sure I didn't cross-thread the mounting hole.

The 3 remaining screws I then lightly finger tightened into place before switching to a small ratchet socket set with a 3mm allen key adapter to tighten them home.

And here's the screen bracket fully installed on the bike. Neat, isn't it?

Home stretch now!

Refit the headlight.

Install the 4 rubber grommets into the screen. I didn't photograph this but it's very simple to do, and (as Dart recommends) it should be done from the back of the screen (possibly to prevent too much flexing/damage to the screen?).

I found when placing the screen over the bracket that the screen was slightly too curved for the holes to align precisely (couple of mm out laterally). The method I found to work for me was to lightly install screws on one side of the screen until it looks as if they are almost fully in (still turning freely though) and apply light pressure with the palm of my hand to push the screen inwards which aligned the holes on the other side. Then I lightly-tightened the mounting screws making sure that there was no resistance (which might indicate misalignment). Again, a 3mm allen key was used for the screen screws.

Then fully tighten the screws, I did this in a diagonal pattern. I didn't use much torque and will probably use some blue thread lock (medium strength) before I venture onto the roads, but this isn't recommended by Dart, just my personal preference.

That's it, the screen is installed! :D

Didn't take long - about 90 minutes taking things very easily and stopping for a coffee break. In fact it took me longer to do this DIY piece! ;)

POST-INSTALL CABLE CHECK

As two cable guides have been removed and not replaced, I would suggest that you have a look at the routing of the cables and make sure that they are not rubbing off the instrument console or anywhere else they shouldn't...

Not a fault of Dart at all, but I have non-standard Rizoma MA008B bars fitted which are lower and narrower than stock, meaning the cables and hoses are now slightly too long so they "balloon" out a little. I found that after removing the cable guides, the clutch hose now rubbed off the instrument console, so 5 minutes and a black cable tie later, and the problem was solved.

Here's what I did...

I threaded a black cable tie around one of the aluminium spacer bushes of the flyscreen and then around the cables and hose that needed moved off the instrument console. I then tightened the cable tie sufficiently to move the hose and cable off the console... Trimmed excess cable tie with electronics snips and job done!

Console with hose and cables rerouted- easy!

As I've previously mentioned, Dart's instructions are clear and easy to follow, but perhaps this DIY will be of some further help. Their screen is a high quality piece of kit - especially for the money. I'm very satisfied. :)

Oh, I suppose I'd best put up a shot of the screen on the bike - here you go!

Please note! This is a personal non-expert take on fitting a Dart Flyscreen. I have no connection with Dart themselves other than simply being a happy customer. This DIY should in no way be taken as official install instructions, but in my opinion should be used alongside Dart's official install guide as an additional resource. I'm also human so there may well be mistakes in my guide (don't think so, though) so please always take Dart's instructions as having precedence over mine and refer to Dart themselves if you are in any way unsure of the install. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Great post Dave!

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Neat design by Dart to use the cluster bracket. Don't think it would work with the RSD Radial Cluster though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the how to. Used it this morning along with the instructions that came with the screen.

Did come up against a bit of a head scratcher though -

According to the text and diagram instructions that come with the screen you should put the long bushings in the outer holes and the short ones in the center. But on the how to it's the other way around.

I tried both ways and it's baldydave who is right, the long bushings look like they should be in the center and the short ones on the out side. If you follow the instructions that come with the screen you end up with a gap inbetween the center bushings and the consol as pictured.

Really like the look of the bike after, I had a different fly screen on before that attached to the forks with chrome clamps. Lots of bling with it but the Dart screen looks better for the bike!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the how to. Used it this morning <SNIP>

According to the text and diagram instructions that come with the screen you should put the long bushings in the outer holes and the short ones in the center. But on the how to it's the other way around.

I tried both ways and it's baldydave who is right <SNIP>
Really? I thought my instructions re the bracket bushes/spacers were in agreement with the official instructions. I'll have to see if I can find Dart's instructions just in case I missed something or perhaps I received amended instructions with my screen.
@NickHeydel can you provide any input on this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's most peculiar! The instructions as provided with the screen, and available for download from the site, are correct. As is Baldy Dave's excellent DIY Install Guide. The longer bushes need to be in the centre holes, and the shorter ones on the outside.

This is clearly at odds with the instructions that Aubrey has, however... The answer is that somehow my first draft of the instructions seems to have found its way into Aubrey's kit, rather than my desk or the bin! It was subsequently proof read and corrected, so everybody else should have the correct instructions.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Installed one yesterday. The only issue I had were the spacers/bushings/bushes snapped into the holes but a couple kept falling out. So I used a dab of super glue to hold it while I fitted the screws. The screen looks great but came with light scratches on the front of the screen that are very noticeable under florescent lights.

·
Super Moderator
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installed one yesterday. The only issue I had were the spacers/bushings/bushes snapped into the holes but a couple kept falling out. So I used a dab of super glue to hold it while I fitted the screws. The screen looks great but came with light scratches on the front of the screen that are very noticeable under florescent lights.
Where are the scratches? Coming from the screen mounting holes?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I fitted a Dart this evening and Dave's instructions were very useful, thanks Dave.

I was also not 100% happy with the leaving aside of the wire cable guides. In the case of the first guide I felt it was serving a purpose in lifting the shielded cables off the metal clip below to prevent rubbing. So I padded it underneath with some 3M adhesive foam:

Another cabling issue I noticed was when fitting the screen bracket was that another shielded cable (routing into the instruments) clipped to the console bracket with a spring loaded clip would be under pressure if left as was. While fiddling with it the spring loaded clip came off the console bracket and so I accidentally discovered it could be clipped to the screen bracket to relieve the pressure, I think it may be a bit better in this position, though I could be wrong.

As Dave said, the Dart seems to be a high quality screen. In my experience screens pick up minute scratches as soon as you touch them with just about anything not matter how careful you are. I wiped some finger smudges from the screen when I was done with a brand new chamois, however I could immediately see if I looked really close that the scratching has begun, unavoidable I think!

Here we are, very happy with the result, excuse messy garage:

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
My first ride with Dart screen on yesterday, yep - great improvement! Elegant design compliments the bike. No buffeting to speak of and much less bug splatter to clean off jacket. Win win
:10:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just got round to installing my Dart flyscreen today so a big thanks to BaldyDave for this DIY Install Procedure. Pictures and tips make life so much easier so cheers matey and I hope your knee is on the mend now that springtime is nearly with us.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It looks like the weather is about to change for the better in the PNW so I guess it's time for me to install my screen too!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yep we hit 16C here this weekend so that's officially spring in the U.K as far as I'm concerned, but since our weather is notoriously fickle, I'm sure by next weekend it'll be Baltic again :)

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Good guide – many thanks! Installed Dart last night and took a short test ride today, up to about 135km/h (on a private road, naturally). Noticeable pressure reduction at higher speeds, wind hits me around throat/chin (6.1/183cm). Nice clean look to boot.

From a German riding buddy I got a "tomflap" spoiler years ago to test, and had it on my 1150R on a taller screen. It worked quite well then (sorry, can't uplaod two pix, no clear reason why)

I wonder what your opinion about a top spoiler is as an add-on to the Dart?

·
Super Moderator
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There seems to be a known issue regarding attaching photos to posts at present. All to do with the move to a secure site on the cloud... The admins are aware of the issue. I suggest you try embedding photos instead until the issue gets resolved.

Not had any experience of a top spoiler on the dart, unsure if it would look a bit naff or not...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts