BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,109 Posts
Damn, those bloody Chinese. Even a voltmeter. Gorgeous look.
Made in Taiwan . . . :whistle:

This wouldn’t work on <2017 classics would it. They don’t have the bar mounted buttons to control the dial functions.
Wouldn't it just be the 'Info' button that you currently use to cycle through the fuel usage stats?

·
Registered
2016 R NineT Classic with aluminium tank with weld
33 Posts
@Captain you are completely correct. I’ve just had a closer look at the PDF manual. It does just use the info button after all. I had assumed that it would require more than the info button. Another life lesson that assumption is bad.

Thanks for setting me straight and educating me!(y)

The idea in my head still lives on!

·
Registered
R nine T (2016)
5 Posts
Found these vids for it on YouTube

I was looking for something like this before I got my bike but the motogadget was the only one that worked and looked any good. This is definitely better. I wonder if it’s possible to put a dual clock display together with this and something like the Tomtom Vio which would give you GPS. I guess they’d have to be the same size.

I’ve got a 2016 Classic and always thought the dual clocks with the lcd screen in between always looked a bit 90s, cheap and naff. This could be the fix perhaps.
yeah same here. this is one thing I wanted to change from day one.
thanks for sharing the videos. they help a bit...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes but this worries me because its easy to fiddle the mileage.
If someone buys a used 9T that's reading say 5,000 miles, how do they know that the previous owner didn't do tons more miles with one of these clocks fitted and then put the standard one's back on for selling.

·
Registered
R nine T (2016)
5 Posts
Yes but this worries me because its easy to fiddle the mileage.
If someone buys a used 9T that's reading say 5,000 miles, how do they know that the previous owner didn't do tons more miles with one of these clocks fitted and then put the standard one's back on for selling.
Sorry don't want to be funny...
But yes obviously...
I was (trying to) chatting with the Taiwanese guys and you only get a very short answer.
I think I will go to a customize and let them buy the thing and install for me . whatever they need to fix it....

·
Registered
2016 R NineT Classic with aluminium tank with weld
33 Posts
I think I remember reading that this was also an issue with the motogadget unit as well.

Not sure if it would work or not but what would stop someone from just getting a lower mileage OEM dial and putting that on a high mileage bike? Or would it pick the correct mileage up from the canbus. If it does, why can’t aftermarket dials do the same? Genuine question.

·
Administrator
11,775 Posts
Sorry don't want to be funny...
But yes obviously...
I was (trying to) chatting with the Taiwanese guys and you only get a very short answer.
I think I will go to a customize and let them buy the thing and install for me . whatever they need to fix it....
Excellent! I was waiting for someone to volunteer to try it out and let us know how it performs... ;)

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,109 Posts
Or would it pick the correct mileage up from the canbus.
I did ask them a question about your existing mileage and this is what they said;
"mileage is follow by you computer, so if you have 10,000km, it will show 10,000km."
That for me is the deciding factor to go with an aftermarket gauge.

I asked a couple of other questions, but like @RedBaron I only got short or no answer.
I would like to know what 'Internal and External Odometer' is.
Also what is 'Mileage for the remaining oil level'.
I was thinking the second one is the fuel low level countdown, but when I asked all they said was: "fuel level will remind on the dash" so that doesn't help!

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,109 Posts
It does just use the info button after all. I had assumed that it would require more than the info button.
Getting back to this point; I was a bit concerned that I'd be pressing the hell out of the Info button just to reset my Trip1 counter that I use all the time for fuel distance, and reset at every tank fill-up.
But having a look at section 3-5 'Info button function shifting instructions' in the Instruction manual, the Trip1 reset is the first selection you come to, so that's great.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: I was thinking the second one is the fuel low level countdown, but when I asked all they said was: "fuel level will remind on the dash" so that doesn't help!
------------------------------
As much as I am tempted by this all-in-one single meter simplicity, the lack of the fuel low level countdown, is a deal breaker for me.

·
Administrator
11,775 Posts
Getting back to this point; I was a bit concerned that I'd be pressing the hell out of the Info button just to reset my Trip1 counter that I use all the time for fuel distance, and reset at every tank fill-up.
But having a look at section 3-5 'Info button function shifting instructions' in the Instruction manual, the Trip1 reset is the first selection you come to, so that's great.
Go on mate, you know you want to buy it.... ;)

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
215 Posts
I think I have already said it, but without a sensor in the tank, there can't be such a thing as a fuel gauge...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think I have already said it, but without a sensor in the tank, there can't be such a thing as a fuel gauge...
respectfully .... how does the stock gauge know when to flash the gas pump symbol?
am assuming that the DK meter will use the same stock input and perhaps is configured to send the same type of warning, if so the DK gauge will be on my "must-do" list
thing is that the vendor's laconic reply and from what is there in the pdf, this "fuel warning" is not a surety.
p'raps (and quite likely) there is something I am not seeing or understanding.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,109 Posts
Go on mate, you know you want to buy it.... ;)
I know I want to buy it too, i just don't have the spare $$$ :cry:
Please . . . send money now! 🤑

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
215 Posts
respectfully .... how does the stock gauge know when to flash the gas pump symbol?
You're right I may have been too approximate. There is a sensor, but it's only the switch that triggers when the level is at reserve. This is what I mentioned, unfortunately we don't know if you miss 10 or 1 litres from the reserve.

:)

Reactions: Chris<CJ>

·
Registered
2019 RnineT Scrambler
4 Posts
Has anyone seen the offering from DK Design? Although I like the twin analogs, this looks interesting.

View attachment 137475

Looks nice! Wonder if it supports heated grips display...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it does, tried it today. it reduced the size of Gear indicator and adds the heat drips icon...

·
Administrator
11,775 Posts
Can we see a few photos with it on the bike please?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts