BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi Yaz, it looks good and plus it has added functionality!
Thank you for sharing.
Please let us know if it was easy to fit onto the bike (a step-by-step, will be most welcome).
Also does it have the fuel reserve function?
Cheers

·
Registered
R nine T (2016)
5 Posts
In the meantime spoke to a rep from BMW shop here in Singapore
He reckons it's a plug and play
AND their shop can supply the cup and do the installation WOW that would be a novel (at least here. Must be the Corona lack of business)
As I am useless as a mechanic will go this way and keep you guys posted

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
215 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Registered
2019 RnineT Scrambler
4 Posts
Can we see a few photos with it on the bike please?
Hi Yaz, it looks good and plus it has added functionality!
Thank you for sharing.
Please let us know if it was easy to fit onto the bike (a step-by-step, will be most welcome).
Also does it have the fuel reserve function?
Cheers
It was almost plug and play... my gauge is (scrambler2019 single gauge). when ordering, there is an option to select your bike model.

• remove knot on the rear of the OEM gauge
  • remove old gauge, disconnect the wire
  • insert new gauge, connect wire, tighten knot... start the bike and enjoy!

·
Registered
2015 R NineT (Classic)
10 Posts
Maybe you got the wrong parts. Check here: RealOEM.com - Select Your BMW Model and then go to Ihr Spezialist für original Motorrad Ersatzteile - KFM-Motorräder to get the parts (with the correct part number) at a good price.
Also considering this great looking gauge! Since I have a 2015 NineT Classic with the dual (plastic) clocks, it guess this means I need to buy the housing + bracket for a single clock.

Can anyone confirm that the following items would fit my bike, or if I would still be missing other parts? I found some topics on moving from single dial to dual dial, but not the other way around :) Reason I'm asking is that I could possibly get these parts second-hand for a good price. Highly appreciated, thanks!

1. Housing (#3 in diagram): RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
  2. Bracket (#1 in diagram): RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

·
Registered
2016 R NineT Classic with aluminium tank with weld
33 Posts
I got to admit, it is a bit confusing what bracket works on what year model bike. I'm going through the same quagmirish question for a 2016 classic.

Although I do like the twin gauge look and was wondering if I could pull off this digital dial with something like the Tomtom Vio for a dual dial look that had GPS. The round shaped Vio would have been perfect I think as I believe the sizes were similar, but I've recently found out that Tomtom stopped selling the Vio 6 months in which kinda sux. Then, this morning, I had the idea of maybe getting the dual dial OEM mount and fabricating a mount for a mount for the phone to go right next to this digital dial for GPS etc. for an off kilter abstract look. Will look into that.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT (Classic)
10 Posts
I got to admit, it is a bit confusing what bracket works on what year model bike. I'm going through the same quagmirish question for a 2016 classic.

Although I do like the twin gauge look and was wondering if I could pull off this digital dial with something like the Tomtom Vio for a dual dial look that had GPS. The round shaped Vio would have been perfect I think as I believe the sizes were similar, but I've recently found out that Tomtom stopped selling the Vio 6 months in which kinda sux. Then, this morning, I had the idea of maybe getting the dual dial OEM mount and fabricating a mount for a mount for the phone to go right next to this digital dial for GPS etc. for an off kilter abstract look. Will look into that.
That’s actually a pretty cool idea 😃!

I will keep an eye out for any scramblers/pure’s I spot in the wild to figure out if their gauge bracket would fit my classic. Or just order a second-hand bracket for 20 Euro’s and make a gamble 😅

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will keep an eye out for any scramblers/pure’s I spot in the wild to figure out if their gauge bracket would fit my classic. Or just order a second-hand bracket for 20 Euro’s and make a gamble 😅
If I get a chance on the weekend I'll wander down to the local BMW dealer and see what I can find out. Conveniently its just on the other side of the park from my place.

I wonder, does anyone know if the top of the triple trees is the same between 2014-2016 and 2017+ for the classics? If it is then I should just be able to get a 2017+ holder for my "abstract" (looking for a better name for it than that) gauge cluster. I can't imagine it would be any different, but you never know. The aim is to swap this:

for this:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Made in Taiwan . . . :whistle:

Wouldn't it just be the 'Info' button that you currently use to cycle through the fuel usage stats?

@Captain you are completely correct. I’ve just had a closer look at the PDF manual. It does just use the info button after all. I had assumed that it would require more than the info button...
I've actually dug a little bit deeper on this while I was looking for info on something else. Something I've just noticed which is a little bit confusing. I noticed on the Koso website for the documentation (the DK Design website points to the Koso page for the instructions KOSO-DOWNLOAD ) there are different instructions for the two versions of the dial. One for 2014-2016 and one for 2017+ There is slightly different functionality between the two versions (I'm guessing because of different information exposed by the different canbus versions) plus the display items at the bottom of the dial appear to be slightly different. As an example, the heated grips icons appear where the gear selection icon is on the examples that we've seen whereas the instructions seem to show them on the left hand side of the lower part of the gauge.

Now here is the weird part. Stick with me here.

The 2017+ instructions (as kindly uploaded to page one of this discussion originally by @Captain ) list the most functions for the dial (as you would expect for later models of , well, anything), and as discussed above, only seem to reference the "Info" button for scrolling through the various functions.
Now looking at the 2014-2016 instructions, it looks like it lists both the "Trip" and "Info" buttons are required for scrolling through the functions. And there is slightly less functionality.

As far as I know, the 2014-2016 bikes only have the "Info" button on the handlebar controls (the trip button is on the OEM gauge cluster itself) and the 2017+ have the two buttons "Trip" and "Info" on the bars. So, it looks like there is either a documentation issue with the instructions in that they've mixed up the buttons/displays/functions OR the Koso website lists the instructions under the wrong headings. There is nothing on the instructions themselves that indicate which year it refers to. One to be wary of.

The other odd thing is the 2017+ instructions list a "Fin Temp Sensor" which you slide into the oil radiator. Its not listed at all on the 2014-2016 instructions. I'd imagine that the later model bikes have more sensory type stuff already built into the bikes for the stricter emissions monitoring required by the Euro standards so I would think that this extra sensor must actually be for the 2014-16 bikes.

So, it appears the 2014-2016 may have slightly more functionality if they have just mis-labelled the links to the documents on the Koso website.

I've attached both lots of instructions. I've renamed them to be the same years as they come off the Koso website. Although I suspect that they should actually be named the other way around.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,775 Posts
I think you are correct @dodgybugga the instruction sheets seemed to have been labelled the wrong way round. 2014-16 bikes only have an INFO button on the bars and the trip button is on the instrument console, so would vanish with the OEM gauges. I guess the 2017+ bikes have a trip button on the bars as well as an info button. I agree about the fin temp sensor too, the 2017+ bikes already have an engine temp readout as stock. Interesting that they go on about cooling fans and water temp, but I'm guessing this is simply due to either poor translation of existing instructions or a copy/paste from instructions form a water cooled bike. Either way its still fairly easy to work out most of what they are meaning.

If I hadn't already modded my OEM gauges with new dial fascias I'd be seriously considering this! I am still a little tempted...

And another thing, am I picking it up correctly that you get a mounting bracket with the dial?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I hadn't already modded my OEM gauges with new dial fascias I'd be seriously considering this! I am still a little tempted...
Go on, you know you want to...

And another thing, am I picking it up correctly that you get a mounting bracket with the dial?
No, I don’t think you get a mounting bracket. I think you are supposed to either use the existing mount and gauge cover you already have on the 2017+ bikes or you’ll have to buy a new bracket and cover for the 2014-16 bikes. That’s the issue I’m trying to work out at the moment - will the 2017+ mounting bracket for the twin or single dials fit the 2014-16 triple tree upper on the Classic with the upside down forks. I don’t know if there is a difference there between the model years.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It was almost plug and play... my gauge is (scrambler2019 single gauge). when ordering, there is an option to select your bike model.

• remove knot on the rear of the OEM gauge
  • remove old gauge, disconnect the wire
  • insert new gauge, connect wire, tighten knot... start the bike and enjoy!
As per member Yaz's experience, the gauge is almost plug-and-play.

Meanwhile I had more questions and hoping for answers with clarity I had sent these to Koso North America. The reply I got was a web link to the same instruction sheet.

I really like having a single meter with all the info and if there is a bulk buy set up, count me in!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi yes, I can find this but the entire thing only comes as a set for $500 ++
not successful to just find the “bucket”.
Darn!! Very expensive!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was originally looking at that just before I got my bike. From what I remember, it’s definitely not plug and play. I think you had to install other sensors etc as it didn’t communicate with the BMW canbus.

The page you linked to says:
Important: Installation requires knowledge of the motorcycle electrical system, in case of any doubt have it installed by a professional workshop. It is a universal article, the models listed are for example only. Adjustments may be required for assembly

I think that’s their way of saying, it should work but only if you do lots of other stuff to get it to work because it’s “designed to fit any bike”.

·
Registered
33 Posts
While researching my idea for a "quasi-dual gauge" set up on my 2016 Classic (or Original whichever you want to call it) I came across these posts in another thread:
Guys I've noticed the gauge holder on the original nine t (probably racer as well) seems angled more downward as opposed to the one on the scrambler and the bracket that comes with the kit. The angle allows for the cables to pass under the gauges. I ordered the older bracket and will post pics if that solves them being pinched on the sides.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It didn’t quite work for me because of the risers but may work for others, here’s the difference between the two gauge brackets (original ninet vs scrambler/urban)

View attachment 118425 View attachment 118427

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, need to be careful which one I order. I also went to the local dealer who was as helpful as he could be but had no idea if the later 2017 holder would work on the 2016 triple tree or not. I might just have to order it and see.This is the parts list he reckons I'd need.

Attachments

41 - 59 of 59 Posts