BMW NineT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R NineT Classic with aluminium tank with weld
53 Posts
Where abouts did you find the second hand bracket? eBay?

The “Trim Panel” is the metal “bucket” that the gauge and plastic bracket sits in. Hideously expensive for what it is, right? But other sites do seem to show similar sorts of prices.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT (Classic)
19 Posts
Where abouts did you find the second hand bracket? eBay?

The “Trim Panel” is the metal “bucket” that the gauge and plastic bracket sits in. Hideously expensive for what it is right. But other sites do seem to show similar sorts of prices.
I found the bracket at an NL-based second-hand motorcycle parts online store. The (possible) good news for you: I just found out they also have a second-hand metal bucket for sale for €40,- which looks pretty good, so this might save you $100 from ordering the new one. Not sure if I’m allowed to post links to stores here, so I will ping you the link!

P.S. Might have ordered the same bucket for my own project, but just decided I will put the Koso on the (longer-) long list. First need some new tires, maintenance, etc, so would love to see you finishing your project first 😀

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks very much @koen-ninet. Very much appreciated. Not a lot of used spare parts down in Oz yet.

Heh heh. Yep, with Christmas barely days away, my little (probably overly expensive) project will have to go on hold till early next year too I am guessing. But definitely still going to go ahead. I can't wait to see what its going to turn out like. I was going to get a high-mount Unit Garage exhaust but that may have to wait even longer now! :(. This new guage is both a blessing and a curse! ;)

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
It was almost plug and play... my gauge is (scrambler2019 single gauge). when ordering, there is an option to select your bike model.

• remove knot on the rear of the OEM gauge
  • remove old gauge, disconnect the wire
  • insert new gauge, connect wire, tighten knot... start the bike and enjoy!
Hi Yaz,
Does it keep the odometer reading ie how many kms your bike had done before the swap of gauge?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,207 Posts
Does it keep the odometer reading ie how many kms your bike had done before the swap of gauge?
I'll just jump in with my quote from earlier post #28 where I asked that question to the supplier;
I did ask them a question about your existing mileage and this is what they said;
"mileage is follow by you computer, so if you have 10,000km, it will show 10,000km."

·
Registered
2019 RnineT Scrambler
5 Posts
Hi Yaz,
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it maintains the same odedometer readings. It takes it from the bike computer it seems.

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
274 Posts
Found these vids for it on YouTube

I was looking for something like this before I got my bike but the motogadget was the only one that worked and looked any good. This is definitely better. I wonder if it’s possible to put a dual clock display together with this and something like the Tomtom Vio which would give you GPS. I guess they’d have to be the same size.

I’ve got a 2016 Classic and always thought the dual clocks with the lcd screen in between always looked a bit 90s, cheap and naff. This could be the fix perhaps.
@dodgybugga : It’s been a month now and I can’t get this dude out of my head:

We are in the same boat, as I also have the ‘16 classic, and like your idea with the integrated phone mount. Did you find any solution already? Have you calculated the costs for the necessary mount and bucket?

·
Registered
53 Posts
@dodgybugga : It’s been a month now and I can’t get this dude out of my head
We are in the same boat, as I also have the ‘16 classic, and like your idea with the integrated phone mount. Did you find any solution already? Have you calculated the costs for the necessary mount and bucket?
Heh heh. Sorry for conducting the Psy-Ops on you. He certainly does get stuck in the brain a bit eh! ;)

I have done some digging into this but I haven't been able to come up with a definitive answer on whether the bracket will fit the 2016 classic triple tree or not. From what I can see it should fit but till I try it I've got no guarantee. This is the story in a nutshell.
Essentially, the existing bracket on the 2016 classic 46638531182 won't work so will need to be replaced. The 2017+ bracket 46638558379 is different but looks like it could work. The double guage bracket for the scrambler and pure are different too from what I can work out but looks closer to the base of the 2016 bracket ie the bits that bolt to the triple tree upper. It looks like BMW wised up to the interest in the adding the rev counter to the Pures and Scramblers and put together a package that has all the screws, grommets, double gauge bracket 77 31 8 558 093 and second gauge cover (bucket the gauge goes in) plus the bracket that holds the gauge into the "bucket". The part number is 77 53 8 389 483 for the whole lot. Cheapest unit cost I've found is on the kfm-motorraeder.de site at 87.63 Euros. The problem is their shipping cost is flat rate at 65 Euros to Australia, different to other countries, which is pretty expensive. But this would be one stop shop for everything required, provided the bracket fits the 2016 classic. If it doesn't fit I guess I send the bracket back for credit on the 2017 Classic 46638558379 version.

As for the phone mount, I'm already using Quadlock mounts on my mountain bikes so when the Black Friday sales were on, Quadlock had 30% off everything on their site. So I bought:
Motorcycle - Handlebar Mount - Quad Lock® Australia - Official Store (quadlockcase.com.au) $60AUD
Motorcycle - Vibration Dampener - Quad Lock® Australia - Official Store (quadlockcase.com.au) $25AUD
Motorcycle Knuckle Adaptor - Motorcycle/Scooter - Quad Lock® Australia - Official Store (quadlockcase.com.au) $15AUD

So, all up $100AUD normally but just under $70 with the discount. Probably don't need the Vibration Dampener but just to save damaging the Optical Image Stabilisation of my phone camera thought it would be worth the investment since the 9T is a bit vibey and known to cause some issues with phones. I also already had the Quadlock case for my phone. I think they are around $50AUD.

Of course, the Quadlock system is just my preference. I'm sure other vendors could come up with other methods as well.

Please forgive my despicable graphic design ability and blatant theft of imagery from vendor websites but this is what I was envisaging. I'll have to come up with a simple way to mount the knuckle adaptor which I think would just be some thin plate metal with holes in to screw everything together.

Of course you could swap sides based on personal preference for which side the gauge and phone went on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just in case anyone missed it, here is the group buy interest page for the DKDesign guage kindly set up by @Chris<CJ>. Click on the voting buttons at the top to register your interest in going in on the group buy.

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
274 Posts
Probably don't need the Vibration Dampener but just to save damaging the Optical Image Stabilisation of my phone camera thought it would be worth the investment since the 9T is a bit vibey and known to cause some issues with phones. I also already had the Quadlock case for my phone. I think they are around $50AUD.

View attachment 138654
@dodgybugga : very interesting, thanks so much for this research! So, to envision this a bit more, it could look something like this in the end, just with one round combo instrument, plus a phone... I think that’d be really cool. I think I’ll start tinkering with this (i.e. rip it all apart) over the next couple of winter days, please keep us posted when you’ve made any progress...
As to the vibration issue, I do highly recommend a dampener. I’ve already destroyed one phone on my GS, and since then, Quadlock has published a list of phone-killer bike models.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do you know the IP rating for the gauge?

Is the warranty 6 months only? The BMW Tacho is about 300 euro and has a two year warranty..

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi !
for information this digital speedo was originally developed by DK design and Koso
and Koso also offers his meter for sale.

you can see the koso meter here:
4 part number are available, silver and black for 2014-2016
and silver and black for 2017+

I get more information about the DK design meter and Koso's!
So after a conversation with DK design, he confirms to me that the differences are the outer frame ( more prettier for DK)
and the start-up message that's all !
same function, same installation, both are plug and play...
you can see my conversation with him at the end of this post.

the normal price of DK Design is 460$ (the link is in the first post of this topic.)
the price of Koso is 440$

and for that of koso, all the references will be available at the beginning of January for koso european website ( i don't know for US )
the minimum shipping costs is 15$ if you are in europe (Koso is based in Taiwan and also in Germany)
the shiping costs for DK is 35$ or 70$ because DK is only in Taiwan.

if it's additional information can help somebody else....

and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! Ride safe ;)

my conversation with DK Design on Facebook:

·
Registered
R9T Scrambler 2020
157 Posts
Hi all. just arrived my Koso from dk design with a nice gadget (neck warmer). today I will try to mount it. keep you informed. Wanna thank Chris CJ one more time

·
Registered
2018 R NineT Scrambler
33 Posts
Got mine in the mail! Now just need my bike to arrive off the boat... 😳

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've just recieved mine in record time too! I paid the $70USD for expedited shipping. I ordered it on Tuesday and it arrived to my place in Sydney today (Thursday)! Can't complain about that.

But I have an issue. I ordered the 2014-2016 model as my bike is a 2016. I have been sent the 2014-2016 version as ordered according to the DK Design sticker on the side but it has come with the 2017+ instruction sheet (since it references both "trip" and "info" buttons - after the orginal OEM guage is gone there will only be an ''info" button!) and seems to be missing the extra hardware I think the 14-16 model needs. I have also noticed that the KOSO website has now fixed their error and swapped the manuals downloads for the different instruction sheets around the right way to the correct years now so I was right when I first thought they had them around the wrong way back in this post. So, it looks like DK Designs hasn't caught up yet. So, anyone who ordered/is ordering for a 14-16 bike should confirm with DKDesigns about this. I have sent them a message but its out of hours in Taipei now.

Did anyone else order the 14-16 gauge? If so, what did you get? Have you installed it yet?

For those of you who ordered and received the 2017+ model, which instruction sheet did you receive with it and did you get any extra plugs, cables, or temp sensors?

61 - 80 of 93 Posts