BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
So I decided I wanted to make my own air box cover plates. Why buy it for 50€ when you can do them you’re self not as good and in the end probably more expensive🤣. But wats the fun in that? So I started to find out the shape by cutting the shape in cardboard. After that I traced and scanned the shape so I could make a design in Illustrator to have the option to modify it later on. We have a laser cutter in the office so before cutting the final design I made a test cut in 3mm acrylic that i bent with a heat gun. I wanted to make sure the shape was how I wanted it before I was cutting in the final material (I only had a small sheet of 3mm POM). I was pleased with the shape so I made the final design and cutting it in POM since it is more elastic than acrylic and therefore more unlikely to crack due to vibration. I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out even though it does not align perfectly with the frame. I especially like how the two stripes of the tank kind of continues down in the air box covers. I painted the POM with plastidip to get a matte rubberised finish and covered the holes with a 1mm thick perforated aluminium sheet. This was the first time bending POM and was way more tricky then the acrylic. If someone wants the illustrator file just let me know and I will send it to you😎 let me know what you think, thanks for reading🥳

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,397 Posts
Really well finished, good job.
I like that you have cut out the stripes and used mesh behind, at first I thought they were stickers, so that is a nice surprise.
I would have gone with only three 'stripes', these look a little bit busy.
Also I would suggest turning the cable-tie blocks to behind the covers.

What is 'POM'?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The nice thing now is that I have the CAD file to cut new pieces and try out different designs 😎 I did some tests in Photoshop with different designs but is is always hard to get the full understanding in the computer. Have not decided yet if I also think it is busy or not but I like how the stripes continues from the tank. Could be as you say that 3 is enough. POM is a plastic (Polyoxymethylene) that is very elastic and has a low friction in terms of mechanical properties.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Looks good, well done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts