BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 BMW R Nine T
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was desperate to get rid of the infamous “diving board” rear fender but options are limited locally and since existing options are silly expensive (not to speak of additional import costs) I went for a DIY option.

I was keen on moving the number plate behind the rear wheel as I like that look. While looking for material in the hardware store I struck a bit of gold with this heavy duty storage hook which was super sturdy, had a plate welded to it, already gloss black and a mere $6 :sneaky:

Plant Wood Gas Auto part Still life photography

I cut off the small hooks and curly edges on the plate and proceeded to make a steel mounting bracket. Couldn't be happier with the outcome and the number plate isn't going anywhere. Saved me a couple of hundred bucks in the process.

The tail tidy was just a quickly hacked together steel bracket to remount the stock lights. This is only temporary since I have a much cleaner plan for this. Main focus here is the number plate bracket, lol.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I was desperate to get rid of the infamous “diving board” rear fender but options are limited locally and since existing options are silly expensive (not to speak of additional import costs) I went for a DIY option.

I was keen on moving the number plate behind the rear wheel as I like that look. While looking for material in the hardware store I struck a bit of gold with this heavy duty storage hook which was super sturdy, had a plate welded to it, already gloss black and a mere $6 :sneaky:

View attachment 155328

I cut off the small hooks and curly edges on the plate and proceeded to make a steel mounting bracket. Couldn't be happier with the outcome and the number plate isn't going anywhere. Saved me a couple of hundred bucks in the process.

The tail tidy was just a quickly hacked together steel bracket to remount the stock lights. This is only temporary since I have a much cleaner plan for this. Main focus here is the number plate bracket, lol.

View attachment 155329
View attachment 155330
View attachment 155331
View attachment 155332
Looks good man … @Johnny Lawless has got it going on … have a good Mate follow you around a bit with a video camera and record going over big bumps etc … so you can see how it behaves under the common dynamics of daily rides … as long as it stays out of your tire and hangs on to your plate your home free and a minimal fee. Sounds like a Win/Win to me. I LOVE DIY ….👍🏻….Blitz

·
Registered
2015 BMW R Nine T
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good man … @Johnny Lawless has got it going on … have a good Mate follow you around a bit with a video camera and record going over big bumps etc … so you can see how it behaves under the common dynamics of daily rides … as long as it stays out of your tire and hangs on to your plate your home free and a minimal fee. Sounds like a Win/Win to me. I LOVE DIY ….👍🏻….Blitz
Thanks man, appreciate. And yes, keen to test what it does at a little speed, lol. I suspect the plate might need to reinforcing to prevent it snapping. A smaller plate would be optimal but then I have to avoid the coppers

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,366 Posts
The sculptural work you have done on the mounting plate to the rear drive is superb, well done. (y)
And repurposing an item like that is a great idea, I actually have that bracket system in my garden shed! :unsure:

Reactions: Johnny Lawless
1 - 7 of 7 Posts