BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,621 Posts
Nice job! Orly thing to be aware of is that it's only the pre-2017 K21 bikes (Classic) that have the circular diagnostic port under the tank side cover. I understand that the later K21 bikes plus the other model variants have the diagnostic port under the rider seat.

The optimate USB charger is expensive, but the quality is guaranteed and is extremely unlikely to fry your expensive phone, whereas cheaper fleabay items from unknown suppliers might well do.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Cool. Thanks.

Battery Tender has something similar too. If you already have a Battery Tender like I do, a USB plug adaptor is like $11.

I have thought about buying it and just keeping in my riding jacket pocket for cell phone or gps charging emergencies. You know what, I could probably just zip tie it to the frame and plug it in when needed. But I will still need a USB cable to the phone or gps which is a different cable. So many darn cables. That's the weak link for sure. Haha

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice job! Orly thing to be aware of is that it's only the pre-2017 K21 bikes (Classic) that have the circular diagnostic port under the tank side cover. I understand that the later K21 bikes plus the other model variants have the diagnostic port under the rider seat.

The optimate USB charger is expensive, but the quality is guaranteed and is extremely unlikely to fry your expensive phone, whereas cheaper fleabay items from unknown suppliers might well do.
Totaly forgot about that.
I guess for the later bikes you just need to skip that step.
Thanks for the reminder!

I opted for the optimate because it has an auto shutdown feature when the bike ignition is off. Also great to have that SAE connector below the seat for winterizing the battery.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. Thanks.

Battery Tender has something similar too. If you already have a Battery Tender like I do, a USB plug adaptor is like $11.

I have thought about buying it and just keeping in my riding jacket pocket for cell phone or gps charging emergencies. You know what, I could probably just zip tie it to the frame and plug it in when needed. But I will still need a USB cable to the phone or gps which is a different cable. So many darn cables. That's the weak link for sure. Haha
This is my setup:
I use the USB to charge my phone because my google maps is my main GPS.
I also use my phone to stream music to my Sena headset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts