BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Procedure to check valve clearances (every 10,000km)

Note that this is just to check and measure valve clearances, not replace shims if adjustment is required.

BMW instructions: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41350769/Photos/9T/Valve Clearance/ValveClearance.pdf

Parts & Tools:
- feeler gauges.
- slim spark plug socket 14mm (optional)
- coil puller tool
- torx sockets
- newspaper or tray to catch oil & wipe down rags

Tips:
- Engine must be cold
- To get TDC(top dead centre), you need to turn the rear wheel in 6th. This is tough work and a lot easier if you remove the primary spark plugs to reduce the compression.
- Feeler gauges. I had a large set (the silver ones) that goes in up in increments of 0.02mm. The Wunderlich set (yellow and white) are not great as only have 0.15mm & 0.30mm, so not very accurate.
- small amount of oil will drip out when the cover is removed, so use newspaper or a drip tray.
- The BMW instructions for the retaining lips seems mixed up. the C-shaped retaining clips must have their open section facing inwards towards the engine. The closed section faces the valve cover.
- Before re-installing valve covers, wipe off all excess oil from the rubber seals and the cylinder head sealing area.
- When re-installing the valve cover ensure the retaining C-clips are correct as above. To put the cove on, tilt so the top goes on first, then the bottom. Tighten up the bolts progressively to 10Nm.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Thanks for posting roadrunner. Great post!

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
324 Posts
All 4 of my intakes were <0.13mm when I did my 12K service. I even triple checked them just to make sure that I was dead nuts on with the timing marks. I went ahead and replaced with the correct Semi-Spheres to get all intakes at 0.18mm. My local BMW guru said it was from valve settling and that it wasn't uncommon.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All 4 of my intakes were <0.13mm when I did my 12K service. I even triple checked them just to make sure that I was dead nuts on with the timing marks. I went ahead and replaced with the correct Semi-Spheres to get all intakes at 0.18mm. My local BMW guru said it was from valve settling and that it wasn't uncommon.
What do you mean by 'the valve setting'?

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oops, Sometimes I need a proof reader. I meant valve seating.
So nothing you can do about that really, just keep going through shims?

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great post - thanks!

.... stupid question: to find TDC - why does wheel need to be turned in 6th?
You have to turn the engine, and the higher the gear the easier to turn. Could probably also turn the alt belt, but that's a hassle to access. I must admit it isn't easy to turn the rear wheel and the resistance varies depending on the stroke position and easy to miss TDC and have to go all around again. Removing the spark plugs helped a lot.

I forgot to note that the wheel must be turned in its forward travel direction, don't go backwards. If you miss TDC, then go all the way around again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very useful post thanks.. Had a little trouble removing the plastic coil covers, but got there in the end.. Plug spanner needs to be 14mm not 16mm ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very useful post thanks.. Had a little trouble removing the plastic coil covers, but got there in the end.. Plug spanner needs to be 14mm not 16mm ;-)
cool. yes, those coil covers are a b1tch

@BaldyDave please edit and change to 14mm

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm guessing, gaskets were reused here?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm guessing, gaskets were reused here?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yes, instructions say fine to re-use if they look in good condition

·
Super Moderator
3,225 Posts
Came across this video that pretty well goes over everything said in this thread so far. Also goes on to replacing shims.

Might help owners who prefer the more 'live' tutorial. :nerd:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts