BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've checked the valves twice on my bike and I always say to myself , "thank goodness I didn't buy a Ducati"
This engine is really easy to work on, even when you have to replace the semi sphere shims.
So far I have lucked out on wiping the original valve cover gaskets and re using them, no leaks.
Just turned 16,000 miles the other day.
Had a highly unusual warm day in February last week and took a short trip just to be rid of any cob webs
So far I can say I have ridden at least once in every month. No long term winter storage for me!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I realize Nobody has added to this thread in awhile but I just checked my 2014 9T and need some guidance.

I confess to some math anxiety, So while the process of checking valve adjustment is clear,ordering correct spheres is not.

At 17K miles, current measurement puts most of the valves in the upper end of spec (21mm intakes , 38mm exhaust)however one exhaust is at 40mm and one intake at 24mm. The sphere for the intake is marked 5.525x. What size do I need to bring this valve back in spec? Should I aim for midrange gap, say 18mm? And should I let the other exhaust valves stay at 38mm or tighten them up, too?

BTW posted this as a conversation with Dave a few days ago but haven’t heard back yet.

·
Administrator
11,645 Posts
posted this as a conversation with Dave a few days ago but haven’t heard back yet.
I did reply to you yesterday mate. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
does anyone still have the pdf instructions on the first post on this thread? i cannot find my copy anymore, thanks.

I found it on the service dvd but I thought there was another DIY with actual rider doing it on their own bike with real life photos. Not sure if that's what the missing pdf has.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts