BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_1317.jpeg

So here’s my question for the part of this group that has to convert their old 2 gauges to the new one-gauge design again (since the group buy thread was just closed):

I know the original thread has been viewed 4K times by now, and sorry to bug everyone again, but concerning the 2to1 operation, I have one last question, that maybe @Yaz can answer best: Is that round “bracket for instrument cluster” (part “2” in the above diagram, last four digit -8858) needed? I would think so, but on my dealer’s parts list that item is missing. Or does the rear end of the DK design gauge already “look like that” and fit into the so-called “trim panel instruments combination”#-7597
It’s a bit confusing, because we are talking about two kinds of “bracket for instrument cluster” here, one is this round one, the other the (definitely needed ) boomerang-shaped.

For those who want to splurge even more, here’s an Ilmberger Carbon part for EUR150 instead of the BMW OEM “trim panel instrument combo” plastic part for $126 - of course both w/o shipping. Just sayin... saves 70% weight!😉

@dodgybugga : let us know whether you go the quadlock route, it’ll be interesting!

·
Registered
433 Posts
For the 2018 Pure, the swap out took all of 15 minutes and the only tool necessary was a T20 Torx.
The pix will tell a better story.
Pic #1 - The stock meter
Pic #2 - The stock meter and bracket, note the location of the T20 Torx holding screw
Pic #3 - The stock meter and holding cup that is inside the pod
Pic #4 - Internal details of the external pod
Pic #5 - A comparison of the two meters, there is a slight difference between the two
Pic #6 - What goes inside the metal pod prior to dropping the meter in, note the connector and ensure that it is inserted in exactly the same way as it was removed.
Pic #7 - 15 minutes later, with the DKdesign meter and the ignition key switched on.

·
Registered
433 Posts
a couple of quick points of note that will help .....................
#8858 sits in the metal pod and the meter sits in #8858
The stock connector with the rectangular connector fits into the meter - please take note of the way the connector sits as there is only one correct way and the connector can be damaged by forcing it in
There was no thread sealant on the T20 Torx screw that holds the assembly together and I fitted it back without the 'red'
When you flip the key to on, the ECU pipes the info to the meter and there is no configuration required other than changing the display parameters [documented in the instruction sheet from DKdesign]

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Ilmberger Carbon parts (that bucket) is currently sold out, Winter man-cave season plus Covid is obviously good for business there...

One alternative to consider is the “trim panel instruments combi” (i.e. the metal bucket) in matte chrome for just a few bucks extra. Might look nice on an alum tank!?

Order at your own risk, and remember: “Not everything on the Internet is true!” (Abraham Lincoln)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts