BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
" I’d recommend @dodgybugga being the expert on this, can you jump in? "
@dodgybugga, please can you jump in and share instructions on how to invoke the memory function on the DKdesign/Koso gauge?

Has anyone ridden the bike [with this gauge] in the rain and is it totally waterproof?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2016 R NineT Classic with aluminium tank with weld
92 Posts
Heya guys,
Apologies for not seeing this sooner. Getting smashed at work.

Memory Function
After looking at the 2017+ model instructions it does not appear to have the "memory" function to display highest Revs and Speed from what I can see. So, it looks like this functionality only appears in the 2014-2016 model. Sorry @nico73. On the 2014-2016 model, it can be reached by pressing info 5 times, starting from the Odometer screen. To reset it back to zero values I think I had to hold the info button for 3 seconds when in the memory screen.

Remianing Fuel
I believe that on the 2017+ guage that there is a TRIP "R" menu item (Pressing the "Trip" button, Trip R shows up after Trip 1, Trip 2 and Trip A). This is the remaining fuel mileage counter. I am guessing that this is something that is manually set when you fill the tank eg. 300km and counts down to zero possibly.

On the 2014-2016 model, there are Trip1 and Trip 2 as well as Trip O (Oil mileage countdown till oil should be changed) and Trip A which is described in the manual as "Mileage for the remaining Oil Level". I suspect that this should actually read "Mileage for the remaining Fuel Level". So, I think this could be used to tell how much fuel you will have left roughly. But you could just as easily use the Trip 1 or Trip 2 counters just in the opposite way ie. counting up to the expected fuel mileage on a full tank.

Waterproof rating
I vaugely remember seeing, I think on the Koso US website, an IP rating. It was either IP66 or IP67. I can't remember which, but I looked up the rating at the time and found it was fine for bike use ie. it should be water tight in a downpour at highway speeds or getting pressure washed. You wouldn't want to dunk your bike in the lake to test the waterproof rating but I'd suggest that the guage would be the least of your problems at that stage I think. I think I remember it being IP67 which is will survive temporary immersion between 15cm and 1m. IP66 "Protected against strong jets of water. Limited ingress permitted. Strong hosing jets from all directions"

Having said that, especially on the 2014-2016 guage. I put some heatshrink around the large connectors for the cables for the guauge and also the temperature sensor cable connector just to be on the safe side. It also hides the coloured cabling better. I'm also looking for a rubber grommet that will go around the cable where it enters the guage housing (the metal bucket that the guage sits in) as that hole is much larger than the cable and would allow water to get into the guage housing.

I hope that might help to clear some things up.

·
Premium Member
2020 BMW R9T Pure, Ali tank.
803 Posts
Just wondering.....as the US gallon is less volume than a UK gallon, does this effect how the brain does its calculations for remaing miles?
Ken.

·
Registered
625 Posts
As with most digital displays, "reflection" detracts the visibility, particularly in bright sunshine. A matte screen protector will help to minimize this effect. Try it!
(I used the same material that goes over a phone screen)

·
Premium Member
2016 R Nine T Classic
559 Posts
Just wondering.....as the US gallon is less volume than a UK gallon, does this effect how the brain does its calculations for remaing miles?
Ken.
The planet switched to Metric except for USA, UK, Liberian and Myanmar.
Even NASA switched to Metric :)

I think your ECU is programmed for UK gallon if you bought it from UK.
Your gauge is only reading what the ECU is showing.
I might be wrong, but that is my guess.

·
Premium Member
2020 BMW R9T Pure, Ali tank.
803 Posts
The planet switched to Metric except for USA, UK, Liberian and Myanmar.
Even NASA switched to Metric :)

I think your ECU is programmed for UK gallon if you bought it from UK.
Your gauge is only reading what the ECU is showing.
I might be wrong, but that is my guess.
Was just thinking, as the statute miles same length in USA and UK, when comparing MPG the American models won’t do as many miles per gallon, is all.
Cheers,Ken.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT (Classic)
38 Posts
Meanwhile also found this gauge on a European site.

Now just gotta make my mind up; this or a second clock.
Installed this exact gauge a few months back on my 2015 Roadster, ordered it directly from the Koso Europe website. Pretty happy with it so far, really cleaned up the dashboard.

See installation post here: CLOSED: Koso DL-04 Meter - Possible Europe only Group Buy

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
479 Posts

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Scrambler 2021
61 Posts
I asked about this fitting the '21 models and was told yes: "But only can’t display the Cruise control symbol and setting"

Wondering if it's worth it for me, I never plan on using cruise control, but not sure I feel it's a good idea if not supported.

Does anyone know if they plan on doing firmware updates on this? Doesn't seem like it, given no ports.

·
Registered
2015 R Nine T
38 Posts
for those of you that installed Koso digital meter, how did you set up the pins from the gauge.?There is a plastic adapter that looks to help plug into the harness, but the pins from the gauge are loose, and don't easily (or snuggly) fit into the adapter. Last thing I want to do is break the pin.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
479 Posts
for those of you that installed Koso digital meter, how did you set up the pins from the gauge.?There is a plastic adapter that looks to help plug into the harness, but the pins from the gauge are loose, and don't easily (or snuggly) fit into the adapter. Last thing I want to do is break the pin.
Did you see #136 from dodgybugga in this thread?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks @Norbi. You have a great memory!

@Milesdc123, yeah, be wary when working with these plugs and pins. The pins are fragile and they are a pain to get out once you have them locked in and having the documentation that is incorrect doesn't help.

Firstly, make sure you are looking at the latest installation document from the Koso website for the year model for your guage and bike. I'm not sure if DK Design or Koso has corrected the documentation error in the hard-copy paper instructions they are sending out with the guages yet. The correct one has a photo of the plug, not a technical drawing. That will make sure you are putting the correct coloured wire/pin into the correct hole. To make it easier, the blue "blanking" plug/bung goes in the number 6 hole in the bottom right corner of the back of the adaptor (if you look carefully you can see tiny numbers printed on the adaptor). From there you can work out which coloured wire goes in which hole per the instructions.

When inserting the pins you have to make sure you have the correct orientation of the pin to the hole in the adaptor. If you look "through" the hole in the adaptor (helps to have a light behind the adaptor as you are looking through it) you'll notice that there is a small channel above each of the holes on one side. There is a matching raised "blade" on each of the pins. you have to line that blade up with the channel for it to go in properly. You have to use a bit of pressure to get the pins to click in to the adaptor. You will definitely notice the click once they are seated properly/locked in and they go in a fair way before the click happens. Once clicked in they are very snug and don't move at all due to the weatherproofing rubber bung around the back of the pin. Be careful when applying pressure on the pin or wire though as they can bend and be damaged very easily.

If you think you have pushed the pin in as far as it will go and still not heard or felt it click in, it could be that the locking mechanism in the adaptor is open. This is a sliding pastic gate inside the adaptor that is accesible by two plastic tabs visible in the corners of the front face of the adaptor (where the pins eventually poke out). I can't remember if the face of the plug is grey and the tabs are white or vice versa but if you look carefully you can see them. There is one for each row of pins I think. You may have to take a safety pin or something similar to slide it back and forth to open/close the locking mechanism. I'm sorry, but I didn't take a picture of it when I did it. I just know it was a total P.I.T.A. to have to pull the pins out after following the faulty instructions and putting the wrong pins in the wrong holes.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2015 R Nine T
38 Posts
Amazing info. I’ll send some pics once I’m set up. Since mind is 2015 I needed to order the single bracket/bucket. Of course that takes way longer to get.

Thanks @Norbi. You have a great memory!

@Milesdc123, yeah, be wary when working with these plugs and pins. The pins are fragile and they are a pain to get out once you have them locked in and having the documentation that is incorrect doesn't help.

Firstly, make sure you are looking at the latest installation document from the Koso website for the year model for your guage and bike. I'm not sure if DK Design or Koso has corrected the documentation error in the hard-copy paper instructions they are sending out with the guages yet. The correct one has a photo of the plug, not a technical drawing. That will make sure you are putting the correct coloured wire/pin into the correct hole. To make it easier, the blue "blanking" plug/bung goes in the number 6 hole in the bottom right corner of the back of the adaptor (if you look carefully you can see tiny numbers printed on the adaptor). From there you can work out which coloured wire goes in which hole per the instructions.

When inserting the pins you have to make sure you have the correct orientation of the pin to the hole in the adaptor. If you look "through" the hole in the adaptor (helps to have a light behind the adaptor as you are looking through it) you'll notice that there is a small channel above each of the holes on one side. There is a matching raised "blade" on each of the pins. you have to line that blade up with the channel for it to go in properly. You have to use a bit of pressure to get the pins to click in to the adaptor. You will definitely notice the click once they are seated properly/locked in and they go in a fair way before the click happens. Once clicked in they are very snug and don't move at all due to the weatherproofing rubber bung around the back of the pin. Be careful when applying pressure on the pin or wire though as they can bend and be damaged very easily.

If you think you have pushed the pin in as far as it will go and still not heard or felt it click in, it could be that the locking mechanism in the adaptor is open. This is a sliding pastic gate inside the adaptor that is accesible by two plastic tabs visible in the corners of the front face of the adaptor (where the pins eventually poke out). I can't remember if the face of the plug is grey and the tabs are white or vice versa but if you look carefully you can see them. There is one for each row of pins I think. You may have to take a safety pin or something similar to slide it back and forth to open/close the locking mechanism. I'm sorry, but I didn't take a picture of it when I did it. I just know it was a total P.I.T.A. to have to pull the pins out after following the faulty instructions and putting the wrong pins in the wrong holes.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The other thing to remember (which I’ve only just remembered) is to not put the pins into the adaptor till after you’ve threaded the cables through the hole in the gauge cover as it will be impossible to do that once the adaptor is attached. That almost caught me out in my over excitement to get the gauge on my bike.

·
Registered
2015 R Nine T
38 Posts
Yea... just did that 🤦🤦🤦. Excitement got the better of me.

The other thing to remember (which I’ve only just remembered) is to not put the pins into the adaptor till after you’ve threaded the cables through the hole in the gauge cover as it will be impossible to do that once the adaptor is attached. That almost caught me out in my over excitement to get the gauge on my bike.

·
Registered
2015 R Nine T
38 Posts
Now that I’m the disassembling phase, do you happen to remember which way you slid the paddles/ what happens next? They are grey and the face is white. They slide left to right. I can move them but that does seem to unlock the pins.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Now that I’m the disassembling phase, do you happen to remember which way you slid the paddles/ what happens next? They are grey and the face is white. They slide left to right. I can move them but that does seem to unlock the pins.
Sorry. I only just saw this.

I honestly can’t remember which way was locked/unlocked i’m afraid. It was a lot of trial and error. I remember having to apply quite a bit of pressure (but very carefully) to get the pins out even once the locking tab/gate had been unlocked. It’s a long tedious process and your fingers will be sore by the end of it. I think a couple of the pins I had to slide a thin safety pin in past the rubber bung at the back of the pin to help depress the springy “barb” that locks the pin in a bit to coerce it out.

181 - 200 of 232 Posts