121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Ok, so here’s my new, clean look
View attachment 140334

What’s also neat, is that it gives you your stats after each ride:
View attachment 140335

Wasn’t me, but my 17yo son following my VMax on Superbowl afternoon... No harm, no foul there.
But I can now blackmail him forever.
WOW ! That’s looks really good Norbi. Nice Job Mate. Is the rev (shift) light the red one in the lower right on the clock face, does it make any noise or tone ? How do you adjust it or does it light at the same time the rev-limiter kicks in ? I want to adjust my gage to light up a couple hundred RPM’s before the rev-limiter effects the ignition/injectors. Is that kind of adjustment possible ? I’m wondering if the record keeping feature could be an asset or a liability when it comes to a speeding ticket. Definitely good for bragging rights and a one-ton verification but don’t let the police know about it.
I’ve almost finished my bike-shed so I’ll be starting on the bob-job very soon. I can heat and cool the shop when complete so I’ll be spending twice as much time with a spanner in my hand. Can’t wait. One day you’ll cruz up this way and I can give you the tour.
Be well Norbert, I’m anxious to share some time. Later .....Blitz

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
311 Posts
WOW ! That’s looks really good Norbi. Nice Job Mate. Is the rev (shift) light the red one in the lower right on the clock face, does it make any noise or tone ? How do you adjust it or does it light at the same time the rev-limiter kicks in ? I want to adjust my gage to light up a couple hundred RPM’s before the rev-limiter effects the ignition/injectors. Is that kind of adjustment possible ?
Yes, you can set the bright-red shift light on the low-right side to any RPM you want and you won’t miss it! No noise, though. I just came back from a night run, and it’s really cool and mono-colored otherwise, unless you have some kind of special situation going on (e.g. low gas, bulb check, or else) And if you’re ever stopped by the cops, tell‘em you’re a licensed test rider who spies on copycat products, that will satisfy their curiosity why you went 130 mph again...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Jeebus! I’ve just realised that’s in Mph and not Kph! 210km/h! Didn’t know our machines could get up that far.
DodgyBugga .. you should see that man fly .... I went down to Austin a few months ago and tried to stay up with him .... I ran 138 several times in the straights (GPS logged) and he was always pulling away ... I’m sure 140+ was in the mix. He’s a German Angel UpOn2. He rides a beautiful bike that’s well cared for I’m sure. Apples don’t fall far from the tree and he’s has two fine sons. He’s a good Papa and he will teach his children well about the pleasures and perils of speed. There just following in his foot steps. Big shoes to fill ... lucky young men.

Reactions: Norbi

·
Registered
2016 R NineT Classic with aluminium tank with weld
68 Posts
I wish I could witness the greatness, @BlitzSchnell. Who knows, once the world sorts itself out after the great Covid crisis, I might actually get back over to The States again and we could all go for a blat some time.

So, all my hardware turned up and since it was a soaking wet Saturday outside I thought it would be a good time to do the install.

I drilled out the holes in the bracket to fit the upper triple trees and that fitted perfectly. I mounted everything, did all the wiring and hooked it up. Very excited, I turned the key, annnnnnnnnnnnd.... nothing. A completely blank screen. Not even backlighting. I checked and rechecked that I’d got the wiring right, checked I hadn’t bent any pins etc, even plugging in the OEM gauges to check I hadn’t killed the wiring somehow and that worked fine. So, it looks like I’ve got a dud unit. Brilliant. 😡 After DKDesigns initially sent me the wrong unit and now this, it’s fair to say I”m now getting a bit peeved.

I’ll write them a sternly worded email now and request they get me a new unit here by Thursday. Lucky the weather here is rubbish for the next week so I won’t be hanging for a ride.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I wish I could witness the greatness, @BlitzSchnell. Who knows, once the world sorts itself out after the great Covid crisis, I might actually get back over to The States again and we could all go for a blat some time.

So, all my hardware turned up and since it was a soaking wet Saturday outside I thought it would be a good time to do the install.

I drilled out the holes in the bracket to fit the upper triple trees and that fitted perfectly. I mounted everything, did all the wiring and hooked it up. Very excited, I turned the key, annnnnnnnnnnnd.... nothing. A completely blank screen. Not even backlighting. I checked and rechecked that I’d got the wiring right, checked I hadn’t bent any pins etc, even plugging in the OEM gauges to check I hadn’t killed the wiring somehow and that worked fine. So, it looks like I’ve got a dud unit. Brilliant. 😡 After DKDesigns initially sent me the wrong unit and now this, it’s fair to say I”m now getting a bit peeved.

I’ll write them a sternly worded email now and request they get me a new unit here by Thursday. Lucky the weather here is rubbish for the next week so I won’t be hanging for a ride.
(n):(
Feel for ya, fella, most disappointing!
Ken.

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
311 Posts
Oh man! Sorry to hear that. That’s really bad luck. At this time, they should deliver a free unit to you, and reimburse every AUD you paid them so far. That’s certainly what I would suggest. 🤞Maybe remind them that 9K people have followed this thread (and it’s all @Dauphinais fault!)
PS: I know that’s not the accurate number, but it sounds huge! ;-)

·
Registered
450 Posts
@dodgybugga, I am sorry to hear about your double trouble, especially since you were an early supporter of the group buy.
Hopefully DKdesign makes the third time good.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

That make me so sad and mad. It may be a long shot but .. are you sure it’s properly grounded? I know BMW earth ground can be difficult to get. Perhaps before you box it up you can run a ground directly to the battery and hook it to the unit housing or mounting bolts just to test. With the symptom being completely dead perhaps the ground is incomplete ... or even the positive for that matter. That’s a long shot .. it would only apply if the unit achieves ground through the physical mount and the original gages grounded through the connector. How disappointing Dodgybugga. I hate to hear that. Seems like a company who builds expensive high technology hardware would check it before they box it up. I think you ought to contact them to find out if there is an internal fuse of any kind before you ship ... maybe it’s something you can fix. I can’t do squat here right now. Texas is being hit by the polarVortex and temps are staying way below freezing for about a week ... my bike shed has no heat and my hands go numb in a matter of minutes, can’t work in gloves .. even my riding gloves are as thin as I can find so I can feel and connect with the bike. Really not any good for insulation so I have to wait a bit. I hope my luck is better than yours. Try that extra ground wire ... the triple tree should surely be grounded even if it’s through the bearings but who knows. I’m sad for your disappointment and glad it wasn’t me .. I’d probably have thrown it across the room by now ... good luck mate, keep me posted. ......Blitz

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

DodgyBugga you’d be welcome at my fire anytime mate. I’d love to ride with the likes of you. If you get to Texas we’ll meet up for sure .. let me know. Until then, goodonya, StaySafe and UpOn2 .....Blitz

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's a shame, dodgybugga
That must be quite irritating, and I admire your composure. If I were you, my Italian temper would have flared, and the speedo would have reached the speed of sound on its way to meet the wall. Sorry for the bad luck on this and I hope DK Design will make things right.

·
Registered
R Nine T 2015
10 Posts
I've installed a DK on my bike (roadster 2015) and was wondering if you guys loose your original mileage as well? I though it was stocked in the bike computer and not in the cluster. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
311 Posts
I've installed a DK on my bike (roadster 2015) and was wondering if you guys loose your original mileage as well? I though it was stocked in the bike computer and not in the cluster. Am I doing something wrong?
Switch through the menu. There’s something called internal/external odometer. And the number that will be provided by your bike. I have a 2016, works fine.

·
Registered
450 Posts
With my bike (2018 Pure), the original mileage stayed as-is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Switch through the menu. There’s something called internal/external odometer. And the number that will be provided by your bike. I have a 2016, works fine.
Section 4-11 in the instructions for the 2014-16 model.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words that several of you expressed for my frustrations. I really appreciate it.

Here is an update.

I emailed DKDesigns on Saturday night and to their credit they emailed me back on Sunday which was very unexpected and appreciated. Unfortunately it ended up in my SPAM folder and I didn't see it till I was at work on Monday. They included a photograph of what the plug should look like with the wiring and I noticed straight away that the wiring was like the mirror image to what the instructions had told me to do. So, since I was at work at the time and couldn't check the paper instructions that came with the guage, I downloaded the 2014-16 instructions from the Koso website and was immediately struck by the fact that the wiring diagram on the website instructions was very different to the paper instructions. See below for the differences.

Essentially, they tell you to wire up the pins in the plug in the exact opposite way to each other. So, yet another documentation issue. :rolleyes:

So, last night I spent an hour trying to de-pin the plug and re-wire it to be the same as the website instructions and now the guage is working with no damage from the inadvertently incorrect wiring. Phew! :whistle: Damn that thing is bright! First thing I did was turn down the brightness. And I'll have to spend some time tongiht tidying up the wiring and securing it. I'm not too sure how well adding the Quadlock phone holder components will go. The new bracket is a lot smaller than I had thought it would be (and, as a side note, it was metal instead of plastic which was a nice surprise and partly justified its expense) so the phone may not fit in the original way I had planned. I'll have to have a think about it.

I've emailed DKDesigns to let them know they are sending out incorrect documentation.

Just curious, which version of the instructions did everyone else who ordered the 2014-16 guage get? The incorrect version with the "drawn" plug or the correct version with the photo of the plug (as above)?

The other question I had for 2014-16 owners was what did you do with the temperature sensor? Did you just place it into the back of the oil cooler radiator fins or did you "glue" it in with something like heatsink paste or something else? It seems to fit by itself quite securely but I wonder if it needs to be better attached with something for more thermal conductivity?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words that several of you expressed for my frustrations. I really appreciate it.

Here is an update.

I emailed DKDesigns on Saturday night and to their credit they emailed me back on Sunday which was very unexpected and appreciated. Unfortunately it ended up in my SPAM folder and I didn't see it till I was at work on Monday. They included a photograph of what the plug should look like with the wiring and I noticed straight away that the wiring was like the mirror image to what the instructions had told me to do. So, since I was at work at the time and couldn't check the paper instructions that came with the guage, I downloaded the 2014-16 instructions from the Koso website and was immediately struck by the fact that the wiring diagram on the website instructions was very different to the paper instructions. See below for the differences.
View attachment 140487
View attachment 140488
Essentially, they tell you to wire up the pins in the plug in the exact opposite way to each other. So, yet another documentation issue. :rolleyes:

So, last night I spent an hour trying to de-pin the plug and re-wire it to be the same as the website instructions and now the guage is working with no damage from the inadvertently incorrect wiring. Phew! :whistle: Damn that thing is bright! First thing I did was turn down the brightness. And I'll have to spend some time tongiht tidying up the wiring and securing it. I'm not too sure how well adding the Quadlock phone holder components will go. The new bracket is a lot smaller than I had thought it would be (and, as a side note, it was metal instead of plastic which was a nice surprise and partly justified its expense) so the phone may not fit in the original way I had planned. I'll have to have a think about it.

I've emailed DKDesigns to let them know they are sending out incorrect documentation.

Just curious, which version of the instructions did everyone else who ordered the 2014-16 guage get? The incorrect version with the "drawn" plug or the correct version with the photo of the plug (as above)?

The other question I had for 2014-16 owners was what did you do with the temperature sensor? Did you just place it into the back of the oil cooler radiator fins or did you "glue" it in with something like heatsink paste or something else? It seems to fit by itself quite securely but I wonder if it needs to be better attached with something for more thermal conductivity?
That’s GREAT to hear Dodgy... Pheu 10+. Seems to me a dab of thermal paste couldn’t hurt a thing and the response time for heat measurement will be greatly reduced. Kick Butt DodgyBugga I’m so very pleased to hear it worked out after all. ✌😎👍 BeWellMate ! ......Blitz

·
Registered
2015 R NineT (Classic)
30 Posts

Here is an update.

View attachment 140487
View attachment 140488

Hi, glad to hear it turned out well! I recently fitted the Koso Gauge on my 2014-2016 NineT, and since it’s the same product:

1) I received the same ‘drawn’ instructions, and the same ‘mirror’ issue occurred to me as well :)! However, the plug itself has little numbers written in the plastic, so I just matched the wiring colors on the instruction with the numbers on the plug. Got it (fortunately) right the first time :)

2) I put some copper paste on the sensor and placed it in the back of the radiator. Haven’t tested it yet though because of all the snow and ice over here.

3) Also still have to clean the wiring, the big plastic plug now dangles around a bit. Also gonna tape it, does not look fully water-proof to me like this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks @BlitzSchnell, @koen-ninet, @Chris<CJ> and others.
Will definitely get some copper/thermal paste for that sensor then.

The next question is the placement of the sensor. I am thinking that it should be as close to the entry point of the oil as possible as that will be where it is hottest for the most accurate reading. Anywhere else it will have started to cool down. Since I don’t have my Haynes manual yet, my question is which side of the oil cooler is the oil flow coming from, right or left?

The other small issue I have is the original mileage. I followed the instructions in section 4-11 and all it seems to do is allow me to enter the mileage manually. It doesn’t seem to be pulling it from the bike at all. Is this contrary to others experiences?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thanks @BlitzSchnell, @koen-ninet, @Chris<CJ> and others.
Will definitely get some copper/thermal paste for that sensor then.

The next question is the placement of the sensor. I am thinking that it should be as close to the entry point of the oil as possible as that will be where it is hottest for the most accurate reading. Anywhere else it will have started to cool down. Since I don’t have my Haynes manual yet, my question is which side of the oil cooler is the oil flow coming from, right or left?

The other small issue I have is the original mileage. I followed the instructions in section 4-11 and all it seems to do is allow me to enter the mileage manually. It doesn’t seem to be pulling it from the bike at all. Is this contrary to others experiences?
Hey Dodgy, (oil direction in cooler) that’s a very good question sir ..and I have no idea but I will investigate. Do you have an infrared thermometer? That may give you the answer. As well I’m not sure about your odometer question but I would assume the digital display is fed pulses that sequentially increase the total number displayed and once you set your DK to the current correct mileage number it will coordinate from then on. What’s yet to be seen is ..if it also indicates your service record reminders and maintenance schedule. The weather is still frozen in this part of Texas and I’m not going to begin my install until the weather shifts to spring. If I’m lucky, you and the other riders will have ironed out all the glitches and I will become the benefactor to all the efforts you put forth on these pages. Lucky me.
Keep us posted please, ......Blitz

121 - 140 of 165 Posts