BMW NineT Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,311 Posts
my question is which side of the oil cooler is the oil flow coming from, right or left?
Racking my small brain on this one, and Dr Google hasn't helped much.
I'm taking an uneducated guess that it enters from the pump on the LHS, and exits to the top of the engine on the RHS (to cool the heads first).
:unsure:

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
311 Posts
Hey Dodgy, (oil direction in cooler) that’s a very good question sir ..and I have no idea but I will investigate. Do you have an infrared thermometer? That may give you the answer. As well I’m not sure about your odometer question but I would assume the digital display is fed pulses that sequentially increase the total number displayed and once you set your DK to the current correct mileage number it will coordinate from then on. What’s yet to be seen is ..if it also indicates your service record reminders and maintenance schedule. The weather is still frozen in this part of Texas and I’m not going to begin my install until the weather shifts to spring. If I’m lucky, you and the other riders will have ironed out all the glitches and I will become the benefactor to all the efforts you put forth on these pages. Lucky me.
Keep us posted please, ......Blitz
Morning, guys.
1.) service / maintenance reminders: you set those yourself at install. If you know you want to be reminded in xxx miles or days, it’s a simple setting. It’s really not complicated.
2.) the thermal sensor, according to instructions, should be located “close to the hose” (not the exact wording, but I’m in my non-frozen TX hotel right now, since the world around me basically ended) You can then even set the exact temp you want an alarm lamp come on, plus on the display you will see every degree the current temp changes at any given moment, if you wish. Kind of interesting, how much it does, actually. Looking forward to regular TX temps to check that out...next week, that is.

·
Registered
2016 R NineT Classic with aluminium tank with weld
68 Posts
Racking my small brain on this one, and Dr Google hasn't helped much.
I'm taking an uneducated guess that it enters from the pump on the LHS, and exits to the top of the engine on the RHS (to cool the heads first).
:unsure:
That does sound logical. I placed the sensor (without copper paste or anything) at the bottom left side of the oil cooler and went for a ride for 30 mins last night. Got stuck in local Thursday night barely moving shopping traffic and saw temps go to 113°C and when I got clear of that and had some clear 60km/h extended runs temps dropped as low as 86.7°C so I’d say that would be about right. Thanks for your pretty educated guess Captain!

If I’m lucky, you and the other riders will have ironed out all the glitches and I will become the benefactor to all the efforts you put forth on these pages. Lucky me.
Keep us posted please, ......Blitz
Heh heh. A cunning plan @BlitzSchnell. It’s always better to be just behind “cutting edge” to let other’s mistakes educate you! 😉 Its definitely a plan I would normally subscribe to.

Morning, guys. Relax, there are no glitches. 1.) the original odometer reading is picked up by the device automatically, just go through the menu/manual. Nothing to worry or do here. See one of the comments above.
(not the exact wording, but I’m in my non-frozen TX hotel right now, since the world around me basically ended) You can then even set the exact temp you want an alarm lamp come on, plus on the display you will see every degree the current temp changes at any given moment, if you wish. Kind of interesting, how much it does, actually. Looking forward to regular TX temps to check that out...next week, that is.
Thanks for the info @Norbi. I had another read of the instructions on the way into work this morning and realised that I was mixing up "internal" and "external" odometers. I thought Internal meant it was internal to the guage but I think now it actually means internal to the bike. The line in the instructions "User unable to adjust or clear the internal ODO" should have triggered the right way of thinking but in my late night fatigue I missed the true meaning. So you can only adjust the "external" ODO which is not the bikes reading. When I was mucking around with it the other night it had an odd value for the internal ODO. It was something like 20000 or 30000 which is what confused me. I'm just over the 20000km mark on my bike but it definitely wasn't right on it. I didn't think to check the ODO values when I went for a blat last night. I am hoping that with an extended run with the engine actually going the right value will now show up in there.

I was also confused by your statement "but I’m in my non-frozen TX hotel right now, since the world around me basically ended" but since I saw some news this morning I now understand. I hope you are ok and nothing untoward has happened. Warm thoughts are with you and @BlitzSchnell at the moment. The weather is messed up all over the world these days. A year ago we were just cleaning up from the worst bushfire season on record. Exactly a year later our summer has been more like winter. Everything is green when its usually brown and dead. People are getting hayfever becasue the plants think its spring. Climate change deniers are going to have a hard time explaining this I think.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That does sound logical. I placed the sensor (without copper paste or anything) at the bottom left side of the oil cooler and went for a ride for 30 mins last night. Got stuck in local Thursday night barely moving shopping traffic and saw temps go to 113°C and when I got clear of that and had some clear 60km/h extended runs temps dropped as low as 86.7°C so I’d say that would be about right. Thanks for your pretty educated guess Captain!

Heh heh. A cunning plan @BlitzSchnell. It’s always better to be just behind “cutting edge” to let other’s mistakes educate you! 😉 Its definitely a plan I would normally subscribe to.
It’s somewhat of a reluctant plan B Norbi, If it weren’t still freezing in Dallas today at 4:30 pm @ 30°, that’s the high today, ...I’d be out there sticking my foot in it, or in biker speak, breaking my wrist with a twist ! It’s got to be warmer soon or I’m moving to Panama, my little fingers just can’t take this cold ... they just stop working after as little as 15 minutes. I’ll wait for the sun to come back and re-read the DK threads and take notes in the mean time ... thanks for all the good info Norbert and to all the fellas kicking in their 2cents. This forum is made up with some very bright generous riders ... StayUpOn2 Mates, one and all.
BeWell ...... Blitz

·
Registered
BMW RnineT Scambler 2017
3 Posts
I like it!
It has a gas pump symbol, wonder if that translates to a "real" fuel gauge and as BD says, does it have the Heated Grips display?
Hello, having just installed the unit on my scrambler, i can confirm that it does have a heated grip display. The fuel gauge seems to be working also but since it’s winter here (Canada) i can’t confirm the exactitude of it. Hope it helps

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Hello having just installed this unit on my classic 2016. Looks great and easy to install, the only problem is that in my case the unit does not read the ¨internal¨ odometer :unsure:. And yes it does supports heated grips.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello having just installed this unit on my classic 2016. Looks great and easy to install, the only problem is that in my case the unit does not read the ¨internal¨ odometer :unsure:. And yes it does supports heated grips.
Yeah, mine is also not reading the internal odometer from the bike. It seems to only be counting mileage accrued since the gauge was connected (circled in green). The external mileage (circled in red) is the manually adjustable value which I set at 21000 when I installed the gauge.

So, those that reckon their gauge is showing the value from the computer on the bike, are you seeing that value in the readout in the green or red circles?

·
Registered
2015 R NineT (Classic)
30 Posts
Yeah, mine is also not reading the internal odometer from the bike. It seems to only be counting mileage accrued since the gauge was connected (circled in green). The external mileage (circled in red) is the manually adjustable value which I set at 21000 when I installed the gauge.

So, those that reckon their gauge is showing the value from the computer on the bike, are you seeing that value in the readout in the green or red circles?
View attachment 140669
If I press the INFO button a few times from the main screen (so don’t enter the options menu, just single press the button!) you will come across Trip 1, Trip 2, etc., and eventually I will see a number which seems to be the internal Odometer (unless I’m mistaken).

// CORRECTION: mistaken, this number is the Motor Oil Maintenance countdown number, nothing to do with odometer

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
640 Posts
For those who want to splurge even more, here’s an Ilmberger Carbon part for EUR150 instead of the BMW OEM “trim panel instrument combo” plastic part for $126 - of course both w/o shipping. Just sayin... saves 70% weight!
Thanks for confirming parts.

You reminded there might be another option from the BMW Accessories Catalogue
"INSTRUMENT CLUSTER HOUSING, MATT CHROME This stylish Matt Chrome housing beautifully frames the instrument cluster. It fits the standard speedometer as  well as optional rev counters. Mounting instructions are available from your BMW Motorrad  dealership. "

BMW 77 52 8 564 588

·
Banned
424 Posts
I'm not sure about this due to the potential for people less than scrupulous to be dishonest with mileage.
How do you know that the bike you're buying hasn't done thousands of miles with one of these and switched back to standard for selling.
Am I missing something.
To my mind the clocks and recorded mileage are sacrosanct and should not be meddled with.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
View attachment 140670 That’s strange, I also have the 2016 and no issues at all
Norbi do you have in the odometer setting menu the same internal and external odo numbers? I have the same difference between them as dodgybugga.

·
Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
311 Posts
Norbi do you have in the odometer setting menu the same internal and external odo numbers? I have the same difference between them as dodgybugga.
Don’t worry about the setting menu. Press the INFO button on your handlebar and watch. You’ll see trip1, trip2, and trip 0. The last one should show your original reading, which is fed by the bike’s system, and therefore not changeable either. If this doesn’t work on your bike, then it looks as we have different bikes/systems and I’m unfortunately out of advice, sorry.
Have to send my kids with some 🪣 to the public 💦 well for drinking water now, sorry! America First!

CORRECTION: I take it back and state the opposite: @dodgybugga is right, there’s an issue with the older version, looks like the original mileage has to be set manually. I think he’s on it already!

·
Registered
450 Posts
No worries, the original mileage is fed by the bike. You can’t change it.
As Norbi has said, the original mileage is carved in stone!
I noted the mileage on the BMW meter, took a reading on the GS-911 and then fitted the DKdesign/Koso meter.
The original mileage stayed the same.
What can be changed is the tripmeter mileage and that is standard with any meter, bike or car.
The above is for a 2018 Pure

·
Banned
424 Posts
No worries, the original mileage is fed by the bike. You can’t change it.
So forgive my ignorance with modern electrics but how does that work, and when you refit the original clocks would the mileage get adjusted up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think you may be misinterpreting that valueTrip 0 or O (it’s hard to tell) is “Motor Oil Maintenance” according to the manual and I think it counts down from a manually set mileage value but I think defaults to 3000km at time of installation (Im guessing either the same number of miles or the imperial equivalent of kms). Is it possible you may have inadvertently manually put in a higher value somehow?

So, based on this I don’t think it’s picking up the original mileage from the bike unfortunately.

I might send KOSO an email to ask what is going on here and ask why it doesn’t pick up the original mileage because it should.

To clarify, I think this issue is only with the 2014-16 model of the gauge? I believe the 2017+ guages are reading the current mileage from the bike. Is that correct?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think you may be misinterpreting that valueTrip 0 or O (it’s hard to tell) is “Motor Oil Maintenance” according to the manual and I think it counts down from a manually set mileage value but I think defaults to 3000km at time of installation (Im guessing either the same number of miles or the imperial equivalent of kms). Is it possible you may have inadvertently manually put in a higher value somehow?

So, based on this I don’t think it’s picking up the original mileage from the bike unfortunately.

I might send KOSO an email to ask what is going on here and ask why it doesn’t pick up the original mileage because it should.

To clarify, I think this issue is only with the 2014-16 model of the gauge? I believe the 2017+ guages are reading the current mileage from the bike. Is that correct?
The gauge for my 2017 Pure reports the total mileage correctly.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts