BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo! I had ordered a decent amount of DK Designs products to install on the Domino Project...from what I could see online they looked quality and really nice in appearance. They came in this morning and got them put on, can't say enough good about them! Quality is high end and really takes alot of the generic bits on a bike and makes them pop. Enjoy!

·
Registered
233 Posts
They have nice stuff. Too many letters on the products though.
The branding, branding, and the branding is a bit much. But it’s a too common problem with some inches of the aftermarket.

But then I don’t know why BMW brands so much of the bike. Do we really need to see the name or rondel on a headlight? A handlebar clamp? the speedo and the tach? It’s weird.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
352 Posts
They have nice stuff. Too many letters on the products though.
One of my pet peeves on otherwise well made products is the need to invent yet another logo for the product. In this case what is the point of the R90T imagery. Not only does it not match anything on the bike, but it is blatantly not the name of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
775 Posts
I think they definitely make nice stuff. The branding is subjective, so if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. There are a lot of component companies that brand heavy and some not at all. Go with what you like - just my opinion.

I have the DK Design rear hump married to a Daedalus Tail Tidy and I think it looks great.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of my pet peeves on otherwise well made products is the need to invent yet another logo for the product. In this case what is the point of the R90T imagery. Not only does it not match anything on the bike, but it is blatantly not the name of the bike.
@Bernhard @gristle - I totally could see where the 3 of you guys are coming from, it’s a really fine line between going ape with branding and trying to remain tasteful. I would throw this opinion in the ring, I have done really up close pictures where it’s easy to pick apart the overall design. My thought process was the stock bits looked unfinished and kind of cheesy, I wanted a little more of a pop. I checked into all the brands and they were ok but still a bit understated. These parts ‘together’ in the whole context of the bike have a great look. I’m really going for a black and white theme so I like all the looks. The logo isn’t the worst it looks a little more artsy I’d say when looking at the whole bike. There are some other parts that DK does that I think are really bold and over do it, I just wanted to get some nicer more quality parts because these bikes are so dang amazing looking in general! Oh well, that’s what makes all these personal!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they definitely make nice stuff. The branding is subjective, so if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. There are a lot of component companies that brand heavy and some not at all. Go with what you like - just my opinion.

I have the DK Design rear hump married to a Daedalus Tail Tidy and I think it looks great.

View attachment 132031
Well said and that is a great looking bike! I think it adds some personality over having the same BMW hump on every bike, def looks more custom!

·
Registered
2016 R-nineT Classic + 1984 Kawasaki ZL900
22 Posts
I saw they also make a nice cover that goes over the rear/pillion part of the seat. Does anybody know if this also fits on the high model scrambler seat, and does not interfere with a Daedalus tail-tidy?

R nineT Classic 2016
Kawasaki ZL900 1984

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to dig but was thinking the 9T was released 90 years into their history...

here’s a link to more of the history of the ‘90’ -

NineT Article

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
352 Posts
I had to dig but was thinking the 9T was released 90 years into their history...
I'm aware of the history and nexus of the R nineT name. However the bike is not an R90T (presumable pronounced R ninety T).

Totally aware that branding is subjective and personal. My personal opinion is that a bit of company branding when done tastefully is acceptable. Things like a Rizoma logo or 'made in Italy' thrown on a low key area of a well made part is great. Take pride in the craftsmanship and brand but don't overpower the part. In this case my objection is not with the branding, as a DK Design logo wouldn't be offensive generally. What I take offense to is creating an entirely new logo and name for the motorcycle that it is going on. Again I'll refer to Rizoma, but you don't see them making up their own proprietary logo for the each model of motorcycle they support in addition to their own brand logo. Your defense of the logo is that it looks tasteful when combined with other products from the same company with the same logo on it to create a complete look.

Now to get back to DK Designs, I think their stuff looks well made. Some of it is clearly a reproduction of existing items, like copies of the Rizoma Eccentrico mirrors or Rizoma Low Headlight Fairing or SideArm Rear Fender. Others are original and quite nice like the fork mounts for accessory lights. I also like their cylinder protectors made to look like the expensive cylinder heads from BMW. I've had their headlight sitting on a bookmark for ages looking for the cash and an excuse to buy it for myself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm aware of the history and nexus of the R nineT name. However the bike is not an R90T (presumable pronounced R ninety T).

Totally aware that branding is subjective and personal. My personal opinion is that a bit of company branding when done tastefully is acceptable. Things like a Rizoma logo or 'made in Italy' thrown on a low key area of a well made part is great. Take pride in the craftsmanship and brand but don't overpower the part. In this case my objection is not with the branding, as a DK Design logo wouldn't be offensive generally. What I take offense to is creating an entirely new logo and name for the motorcycle that it is going on. Again I'll refer to Rizoma, but you don't see them making up their own proprietary logo for the each model of motorcycle they support in addition to their own brand logo. Your defense of the logo is that it looks tasteful when combined with other products from the same company with the same logo on it to create a complete look.

Now to get back to DK Designs, I think their stuff looks well made. Some of it is clearly a reproduction of existing items, like copies of the Rizoma Eccentrico mirrors or Rizoma Low Headlight Fairing or SideArm Rear Fender. Others are original and quite nice like the fork mounts for accessory lights. I also like their cylinder protectors made to look like the expensive cylinder heads from BMW. I've had their headlight sitting on a bookmark for ages looking for the cash and an excuse to buy it for myself.
I can totally respect your position! I don’t think they’re not referencing the ‘name’ of the bike but more BMW’s heritage but that’s just my interpretation. I wanted to more showcase for anyone interested in their parts to know the quality is great. Personal flair is everything, keep on customizing 👊🏻

·
Registered
50 Posts

View attachment 132031
It does look good. I'm curious about the slots though, don't they let water in?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
775 Posts
It does look good. I'm curious about the slots though, don't they let water in?
I've never had a problem, and I do ride in the rain occasionally.

Even when I'm washing the bike - no problem. You'd have to really put the hose right in there to create a problem.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
775 Posts
This is just an FYI about DK Design's logo.

I sent them an email earlier today asking about the logo and it's meaning. Here is what they said.

"We have trademark registration. The correct answer is that the logo is RNT that is the letter "N" in the middle with a 90 inside because of the 90 year anniversary and the introduction of the heritage line."

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I sent them an email earlier today asking about the logo and it's meaning. Here is what they said.

"We have trademark registration. The correct answer is that the logo is RNT that is the letter "N" in the middle with a 90 inside because of the 90 year anniversary and the introduction of the heritage line."
ahhhh, makes sense! Thanks for reaching out to them and getting clarification! I really think in person they add a great look to the 9T’s to make them pop. Thanks @Dauphinais 👊🏻

·
Registered
85 Posts

The N is backwards then (points are upper left, lower right). Nobody would guess this.
if you have to explain your logo, you haven’t succeeded In your design.

Nice products though.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
775 Posts
The N is backwards then (points are upper left, lower right). Nobody would guess this.
if you have to explain your logo, you haven’t succeeded In your design.

Nice products though.
Well....... Not really because we've all been writing about them in the last couple of days - no such thing as bad publicity as they say.

Also, the "R" is also backwards, and we all knew what that was.

It's just someones design idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts