BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 R9T
170 Posts
You could strap two together and make a NIKREN +, don't forget the Beven drongo thongy thingy booties

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have been playing with the idea to buy a MSX125 as fun second bike..

On the picture i see 2 great bikes; both fun as hell!

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I have been playing with the idea to buy a MSX125 as fun second bike..

On the picture i see 2 great bikes; both fun as hell!
I just spent two years flogging a 125 Monkey and absolutely loved it. It got way more seat time during the pandemic than my BMW. It's great having a little, unassuming bike where you're constantly pinning the throttle and jumping curbs and generally giving zero fks. 10/10 recommend.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,768 Posts
These small bikes are pretty cool, and I can see them being useful around town, like @318 said, but I would worry about visibility sitting so low. Cagers already have a hard time seeing us, and with these it looks like your head and shoulders would be below the roof line of most other cars on the road, making it harder to see over and around cars in front of us -- and making us even harder to see in traffic.

I'd be interested to hear owners' perspectives on these pit-style bikes, maybe vs. our regular motorcycles, too.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
These small bikes are pretty cool, and I can see them being useful around town, like @318 said, but I would worry about visibility sitting so low. Cagers already have a hard time seeing us, and with these it looks like your head and shoulders would be below the roof line of most other cars on the road, making it harder to see over and around cars in front of us -- and making us even harder to see in traffic.

I'd be interested to hear owners' perspectives on these pit-style bikes, maybe vs. our regular motorcycles, too.
The overall size of the bike is small, for sure, and tires are much smaller than a standard motorcycle, but most have 30"+ seat heights, so you really aren't sitting any lower as far as car visibility goes. You're actually sitting taller than 70% of the motorcycles on the road in America - but the Harley guys still won't wave at you ;)

·
Registered
21 R9T
170 Posts
I'm a postie so ride something like this every day gymkhana style. Yep you are right, your a sitting duck for the cagers. It is so dangerous and annoying not having that get away nudge a real bike offers. Some days I try to figure out whether someone has put a hit on me or I am every psycho's entertainment.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
337 Posts
The small bikes are fun. They are easy to work on and recently allowed me and my son to have some good fun stripping and painting and servicing a 1980 Honda 110 Trail. Even my wife and daughters got involved and excited which never happened with any of my other purchases. The Trail also encouraged my daugters to actually want to drive a bike. It achieved much more than any of my other bikes did. It would seem bigger and better is not the way to go, especially with the ladies. To all the younger gentlemen out there, apparently it is not the size of the bike and engine that is important. Enjoy the smaller bike, it is always a topic of conversation with other road users. 😄

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
337 Posts
Airmail????? ;)
Not what the engineer had in mind. Makes me think of Army days. Engineer once told me over a beer that in development stage they would design a new vehicle, give it to the troops to drive and keep fixing and redesigng it untill it does not break. Mybe Japan should speak to a few"Postie" Drivers. 😄

·
Registered
21 R9T
170 Posts
Not what the engineer had in mind. Makes me think of Army days. Engineer once told me over a beer that in development stage they would design a new vehicle, give it to the troops to drive and keep fixing and redesigng it untill it does not break. Mybe Japan should speak to a few"Postie" Drivers. 😄
Disc brakes would be a good start:censored:

Always thought you needed 600 cc for fun in the dirt, one day a mate lent me a 225 honda what a ball. Confidence inspiring and new tricks galore.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
337 Posts
Disc brakes would be a good start:censored:

Always thought you needed 600 cc for fun in the dirt, one day a mate lent me a 225 honda what a ball. Confidence inspiring and new tricks galore.
The new CT 125 Trail Postie bikes are quite good with disc brakes and ABS. I know that they are used in NZ and OZ by Postmen where they are tried and tested. I note that lately there are a lot of agricultural bikes around, like Yamaha TW 200 that cannot be registered for road use, but are actually nice bikes for travelling in more remote areas, it is a pity.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Late in life I learned how much fun small displacement bikes can be to own & ride. I had at different times a Kawi Ninja 400 and ZED 400. So easy to ride and throw around into the turns. Of the two the ZED was my favorite. If I kept the ZED I swear I would of lost my license! :D Both were crazy fast after you get the RPMs over 6K. Fun, Fun, Fun!!!

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hahahahaha @ the Harley guys still wont wave to you. Funny

Reactions: JohanH

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,768 Posts
And this:
The Alaska stuff really appeals to me, as it's one of my biggest bike dreams -- to ride to and through Alaska. Probably not up to the Arctic Circle, but at least to Anchorage and Denali National Park. Definitely a bucket list item, and that's not a term I use often.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
769 Posts
The Alaska stuff really appeals to me, as it's one of my biggest bike dreams -- to ride to and through Alaska. Probably not up to the Arctic Circle, but at least to Anchorage and Denali National Park. Definitely a bucket list item, and that's not a term I use often.
I’ve watched several YouTubers do that, Lyndon Poskitt among them. I’d think about it, seems too long of a straightaway to me, plus weather is always an issue. Consider the US Continental Divide instead, any section as long as you want. Pretty remote, beautiful curvy roads, off-road if you like, warmer climate in general. And if you’re getting tired of the wilderness, civilization is always only 50 miles away. Just a thought!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts