BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
My wife gets really annoyed with me for wanting to name my bikes. She thinks it's stupid to name an inanimate object such as a bike. I think she's jealous but I want to know if there are any other crazies out there such as myself who like naming their bikes. Please chime in. Need ammo against the wife on the topic.

I have a liquid-cooled blue GS called 'Isabella' and an R NineT called 'Scarlett'...
I stopped naming bikes years ago ('68 R60/2 w/sidecar is Max & Helga, '77 R100RS is Scooter) haven't named any of the bikes since. My wife however named her Gray & White '03 Mini Cooper Gracie which was recently replaced with a white Mercedes C250 sedan she calls Elsa from the Disney movie Frozen. I refer to my '10 R1200GSA simply as the GS, and my RnineT simply as the 9T, but I don't name them. If I were to name the GS, it would be Bugly as a GS has got to be the biggest ugliest bike ever made, and the 9T as just 9T...I've been riding 45 yrs and 37 of them on BMW's because I like seeing big jugs out in the wind.... ;-)

·
Registered
268 Posts
One of these days, a name will come to the bike.

Two of my bikes are named after horses. R60/2 "Black Beauty" and the R90S "Traveller" (Robert E. Lee's horse)

The guys at the track refer to my K1200RS as "The Battlestar" due to its space age design and size.

Finally the Yamaha R6 track bike is "The Sacrificial Lamb" It's the only bike that I could afford to drop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lol. Maybe it's the freeway log jam I get caught in on the way home but snugglebutt is the last though that pops in me mind !

Seriously though I haven't named a ride since I was a teen and when she didn't answer back or wag her tail(until throttled) it seemed silly. But I get that it works for me other motto brethren and more power to ya :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
It almost requires a masculine name. While I am sure there are other countries that use the masculine gender for their country, I can only think of Deutschland/Germany that refers to their country as the vaterland/fatherland, while the rest of us refer to our country as the motherland, Mother Russia etc.

Interesting I thought. So, while I don't name inanimate objects, here's a first: I'm naming mine Dieter :D or perhaps Gunter, hmmm, now Wolfgang is . . . :D:D
Sorry, I'm not riding no dudes!!! :D:D:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you named your bike?

I just did. Brunhilde.

Pronunciation of Brunhilde as a girls' name is an Old German name, and Brunhilde means "ready for battle". Brunhilde is a variant form of Brunhilda (Old German).

Proper name for a scrambler me thinks :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just for the record. (

We are Nameless here and happy :)

And about others.

I am sure they are happy naming their bikes :)
to each their own :)
different strokes for different folks :)
cultural differences. :)
go and make love to your bike if you want to its yours and name it too :).
Peace :)

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Mine is Helma, “protector”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Had a reet ol' chuckle reading through this!! :laugh2:

Nope, I've never named any vehicle.....coz after a lifetime working in the motor industry I know first hand that any car or bike is just a collection of metal, plastic, rubber, glass etc etc etc.

And do you call your canine THE DOG, or feline THE CAT, also?:D
Actually the cat was called Ceefor...........as in C for Cat........Geddit?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts