BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a lot of cheap bikes and currently own probably 9. This is my most expensive as my average £££ value is around £2-3k. How I enjoy my bike is an added bonus that I make a lot of things for it when it’s inconvenient to ride and I actually enjoy the making as much as the riding. Usually on a bike of this value (2019 classic) I wouldn’t take part in any fabrication so I normally wouldn’t bond as well like I would with my cheaper machines.

·
Registered
220 Posts
So far (three weeks in) it is delivering exactly what I wanted and I'm happy with my purchase. Whether it lives up to its price won't be known for a decade because long term reliability is a key factor for me. I am making a few customizations to better suit my needs, but thereafter I just want to ride with full confidence that I will get where I'm going and home again without issue. I loved my 1992 R100R, and I got 85k miles on it over 13 years, but in those last few years I got stranded several times for all sorts of failures, despite near religious adherence to the maintenance schedule, and it really sapped the joy of riding. I am optimistic about my R9T for the most part, though I worry about the electronics holding up over time. Still, it will be fun to see just how far it will go.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The bike does, despite having bought the cheapesy version.

Nina came with a nice white tank and alarm, that was all the extras on the BMW site I wanted. I did add a rev counter, rack, pannier frames, engine bars, Hyperpro springs upgrade, DL lights and a screen, none of which were offered, and still aren't, by BMW.

But that's why we buy these wonderfull bikes isn't it? ;)

HG

·
Registered
151 Posts
Interesting how some think a bike is expensive where others might think of it as a bit of a bargain. I purchased a 2017 R9T Racer, with around 3.5k miles, last year towards the end of the summer. I deliberately picked a basic modle as I didn't want the spoked wheels and heated grips.

Its replacing a Ducati 1098, which was way too much motorcyle for me, I just wasn't using anything near what it's capable of. The Duc cost a fortune to service and the insurance was pretty steep too (despite being 14 years old)

Spent a little bit on the R9T, all cosmetic as I've only managed a few rides out on it, until I get to know it I'm not going to make any suspension upgrades, which appear to be the achillies heal of the model.

It's a reasoanbly cheap bike to own, although having to shell out for GS-911 to interrogate it was painful and annoying. Spares don't seem too costly and being a reasonably simple air cooled engine, I can service it all myself. I also find the build quality excellent, so IMHO it's actually a bit of a bargain.

As @Ric Vilbig said the electonics might prove problematic, but I'll cross that bridge as and when I come to it and there usually are ways around most things.

·
Registered
2021 R NineT Pure
48 Posts
I bought my R9T Pure in October as a toy to compliment my other toy (1972 Bavaria) and being my first motorcycle, it's living up to the BMW brand for me. I'm absolutely infatuated with the low-end torque and the "heritage" look of the bike. Like my Bavaria, the connection between rider and machine is symbiotic.

I was bit by the bug of wanting a motorcycle last year after falling back in love with cycling (both road and mountain) and began to feverishly chase after a motorcycle license endorsement. I went through an MSF course learning to ride on a Honda Monkey that I had an absolute blast on — 125cc / 9.3hp....

Could I be happy with a smaller, less expensive bike? Probably.
Do I see myself wanting more out of my R9T? I really don't think so! (okay, so I want MORE bikes now, but that's not to take away from my R9T lol)

I'm so excited for the years of riding I'll have with my R9T — I've only owned 2 cars in my life and recently sold my first car ('03 330xi since new) leaving me with just my Bavaria to give you a scope of how long I keep my vehicles and the relationship I have with them. I make sure to get the worth out of my cars LOL.

BMW doesn't stand for Break My Wallet for no reason, so that's not even a worry in my head lol.

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,277 Posts
I bought my R9T Pure in October as a toy to compliment my other toy (1972 Bavaria) and being my first motorcycle, it's living up to the BMW brand for me. I'm absolutely infatuated with the low-end torque and the "heritage" look of the bike. Like my Bavaria, the connection between rider and machine is symbiotic.

I was bit by the bug of wanting a motorcycle last year after falling back in love with cycling (both road and mountain) and began to feverishly chase after a motorcycle license endorsement. I went through an MSF course learning to ride on a Honda Monkey that I had an absolute blast on — 125cc / 9.3hp....

Could I be happy with a smaller, less expensive bike? Probably.
Do I see myself wanting more out of my R9T? I really don't think so! (okay, so I want MORE bikes now, but that's not to take away from my R9T lol)

I'm so excited for the years of riding I'll have with my R9T — I've only owned 2 cars in my life and recently sold my first car ('03 330xi since new) leaving me with just my Bavaria to give you a scope of how long I keep my vehicles and the relationship I have with them. I make sure to get the worth out of my cars LOL.

BMW doesn't stand for Break My Wallet for no reason, so that's not even a worry in my head lol.
1972 Bavaria!!! My first car was a 1968 2002 ! The two cars I drooled over was that year Bavaria and a '73 CSI. I have always regretted letting that 2002 go.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,984 Posts
I bought a brand new Pure, bone stock from the showroom floor. It was technically a demo, so the price was discounted a little more than whatever I had negotiated the purchase price down to. In my mind it was a good deal. I put some cash down and financed the rest.

New motorcycles are pretty expensive these days. Sure you can still get a good bike well under $10K (USD), but I think anything fancier or more premium/deluxe is much more expensive than it was just a few years ago. Part of that is all the tech going into new bikes now, and part is just the normal increase in sticker prices every year.

I think my BMW has definitely lived up to its price. The fit and finish is better on this bike than on many of its competitors, both European and Asian. I don't know if I'd feel exactly the same had I paid sticker price for a "Classic" in the last couple years. The upgrades on the Classic (as compared to the Pure) weren't important to me, so I was happy to pay thousands less for the more basic bike.

That being said, the suspension stinks for a new motorcycle that starts at $10,995 USD. I knew I'd be swapping out my fork springs and upgrading the rear shock, so it didn't bother me too much, but still. BMW isn't alone in cheaping out on suspension components for lower priced bikes, but it's still subpar in my opinion, especially for a new bike that goes for $11K to $18K.

Lastly, even if you add in all the money I've spent on mods, I think my bike has still lived up to its price. I would have done many of those mods regardless of what motorcycle I bought, including an R9T Classic. But because I started at the low end of the R9T scale, I think I'm still ahead of the game!

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As from the beginning post I have generally low priced bikes. Out of the three premium bikes I’ve bought this one is a proper keeper. The others were a 916 (748 version) Ducati when nearly new and it was such a disappointment after lusting over one for a very long time. I sold it within 4months as it just wasn’t road friendly. Then another was a brand new Harley 1200 Nightster which had such shit suspension it wasn’t of merchandisable quality for British roads and the cheeky dealer asked me if I’ve tried thickers fork oil on its first 500mile service. That made me confirm any cheap jap bike was better than the Harley.
This time for the 9T it took me a year to make sure a premium bike is worth the premium price and yes I knew about the suspension before I bought.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was considering this exact question the other night while staring at my 9T for a few minutes before locking up her garage and turning out the lights for the night, as is my nightly routine. I have a 2020 that I bought new, and despite spending another 50% of the purchase price on top for suspension and other upgrades, I am happy and still don't think I'd be tempted to trade her for anything else even if I were offered 100% of the money I have spent as trade-in. It's a great bike that makes riding engaging and rewarding for me and the fact it's imperfect is also perfect.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was considering this exact question the other night while staring at my 9T for a few minutes before locking up her garage and turning out the lights for the night, as is my nightly routine. I have a 2020 that I bought new, and despite spending another 50% of the purchase price on top for suspension and other upgrades, I am happy and still don't think I'd be tempted to trade her for anything else even if I were offered 100% of the money I have spent as trade-in. It's a great bike that makes riding engaging and rewarding for me and the fact it's imperfect is also perfect.
I like the last bit of your quote that it’s imperfect is also perfect!
After having a 1200 Harley nightster I threw the towel in and bought a Honda CB1300 as it was less than half price and did everything I needed well. It was a lot of years ago since I had a four cylinder bike. But I didn’t fully bond with it as it needed nothing! It was so perfect it was boring! Every time I went for a ride when I got back I wouldn’t even remember the ride experience as it was so smooth and predictable without a moment of adrenaline worrying challenges. It also reminded me why I hadn’t had a four cylinder bike in years prior to that.
So imperfect really to me is…….. Perfect!

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,984 Posts
I like the last bit of your quote that it’s imperfect is also perfect!
After having a 1200 Harley nightster I threw the towel in and bought a Honda CB1300 as it was less than half price and did everything I needed well. It was a lot of years ago since I had a four cylinder bike. But I didn’t fully bond with it as it needed nothing! It was so perfect it was boring! Every time I went for a ride when I got back I wouldn’t even remember the ride experience as it was so smooth and predictable without a moment of adrenaline worrying challenges. It also reminded me why I hadn’t had a four cylinder bike in years prior to that.
So imperfect really to me is…….. Perfect!
Not to pile on inline-4s, but I agree with your thoughts above. There is nothing wrong with a four, but I love the character of my boxer twin engine, and I loved the V4 that was in my Honda VFR. But it's not just character -- these engines have matched my riding styles. I don't spend a lot of time revving the snot out of a bike, so I prefer low-end torque to high end horsepower, and that's where the boxer shines. Of course it'll scream some, too, and it's fun to do, but again that's not how I ride most of the time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does my bike live up to it's price? So far. Yes! Still running in a 2021model Pure which i purchased brand new a month ago. Had a few extras on it (Akrapovic,Dyna pack,Cruise,Heated grips). Some of these could be standard? Got it for standard price. Yes still expensive, but premium brand etc. Could you have the same fun from a chinese 125? You probably could. Why not save yourself thousands! But. When you park up and look at your 9T. When you go in the garage. When you fuel up and walk back to the bike. You can see where this is going. Not even got on to riding bit! Yes it's worth it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Worst thing about this bike is it ruins all other bikes. I'm at 23k on my 2018 and last summer I spent quite a bit of time window shopping and test riding other luxury bike brands and they all feel like cheap toys back to back.

Kept the bike instead of trading it, bought my dream car instead. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Does my bike live up to it's price? I'm gonna say Yes.........and No.

With regard to it's styling and character, yes it has. It has also delivered much more engine performance than I was expecting too.

The No part of my reply comes from having had to throw a shed load of money to upgrade the pitifully cheap 'n nasty stock suspension. Just how a company with the experience that BMW enjoys got that so wrong, I fail to comprehend.
Also, the 'premium brand' description that the BMW reputation supposedly brings has, to be honest, been a bit of a disappointment. The parts and build quality of this marque is IMHO no better than that of many other brands of motorcycle, most of which cost much less. Just where all that extra BMW purchase price cash was spent I can't for the life of me see.......maybe it was spent on the snobbery hidden behind that 'premium' tank badge!!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts