BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
Overall I'd say an emphatic YES. There are annoying things about the bike like the plank that is the seat and the stock suspension which is only just adequate (IMO) and the bike was startlingly better when I fitted decent aftermarket suspension. However the overall quality of the bike is excellent, I still stand and stare at it with a huge grin on my face after 7 years of ownership.... She's a looker! And the character of the bike is just brilliant! Happy camper, me! :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Which one? I've got 31 ranging from 1955 to 2021, all BMW's. Some are stock and unchanged and others have stuff done, some old ones have undergone nut, bolt & washer restorations that get a little pricey even when the owner does the wrenching and I have a couple that cost a bundle and exist as they have aged from new. I have no regrets regarding what I've shelled out for any and all these bikes along with modifications and restoration supplies and parts. The only disappointment I've had so far is I still have some stuff in boxes waiting to be installed or restored for bikes that my schedule and lifestyle keeps me from getting to. Its more of a time issue than an expectation in value issue with me.

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
163 Posts
I can remember many years ago working in a US Suzuki dealership that took on BMW. This was in the early 1980's and BMW motorcycles in that part of the US were a rarity. I personally couldn't see what the fuss was all about as they struck me at the time as pretty idiosyncratic and lacking in power.

I have been through a fair share of bikes since then and the only one that stands out quality wise is the 1988 Honda VFR I owned for over a decade. Given the debacle of the melting cams that came with the VF750 Honda went overboard in making sure the VFR was built to last.

I bought my first and only BMW last year. I now work with a number of ex traffic police who rave about BMW and wont consider anything else. I had seen a review of the R9T a few years back in Bike magazine with the visible weld aluminium tank and they were gushing in their praise. At the time I was considering a new bike and the 9T was a consideration. I ended up with a Triumph Bobber which I still have, but the BMW still appealed to me. I bought a second hand ex dem 719 last year and I have to say I am generally impressed with the build quality. However as noted by others the suspension could be better. The dealer price for mine new is over £15k with the extras fitted. I think I paid around £11k for the Bobber new and if I am honest I dont think its £4k better than the Triumph, but I do like it even with the quirks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am 100% with Gambo916. That's why I am not sure if I am going to keep it. Apart from the engine and the look the rest is really average. Fortunately I did not buy new and I was not going to spend so much cash for an overpriced motorcycle anyways! She had 700 miles on it and she was in mint condition. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I am 100% with Gambo916. That's why I am not sure if I am going to keep it. Apart from the engine and the look the rest is really average. Fortunately I did not buy new and I was not going to spend so much cash for an overpriced motorcycle anyways! She had 700 miles on it and she was in mint condition. Time will tell.
At the sort of money these bikes demand if you do the homework properly and by that I mean wait quite a bit till your happy with ALL the niggles you find out about and ‘must do’ mods then your ££££££$$$$$$ purchase and ownership would be more softer and loving to get on with. Personally I’m not from a wealthy background therefore I triple think of what a bike is going to need if it’s a premium price machine vs a budget bike. I know I need to modify mine which is on top of the price but I’ve planned hopefully to have majority of 10 years out of it. After having a brand new Harley stuffed up my arse from a Leeds dealership I’ve been educated in how not to buy. 😊

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
My bike is stock with the exception of crash bars and it will stay that way. I’m very happy with my purchase and plan to keep it as long as possible. Besides the look and performance of of this bike the built quality just amazes me. Finally, when I’m drinking coffee at some cafe and look at my R9T I get a feeling of appreciation that I’m riding a motorcycle of quality that other brands just don’t match up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agree BMWMG! I am only average rider at best. So not too sure whether suspension is that bad or not. Still running in (600 nearly). It's a new bike, but the quality is one of the best I've seen. Had a Triumph Street Triple R with Ohlins. Never touched the suspension. Probably didn't have to. Would i have noticed if i had! Looking at You tube and reading road tests, it seems majority of new bikes need suspension mods? I think i would rather have a decent front and rear mudguards/fenders. Suppose that's modern bikes for you.

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
215 Posts
mmmm.... not sure what the end game is here..... in some way.... all the car one mostly needs is a corolla..... so any BMW/Audi etc can't live up to it's price..... so my wife says it doesn't. Being from Mars myself.... I'm a yes martian.

Generally, I also understand a worker in Germany needs more salary than a Thialand worker.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
mmmm.... not sure what the end game is here..... in some way.... all the car one mostly needs is a corolla..... so any BMW/Audi etc can't live up to it's price..... so my wife says it doesn't. Being from Mars myself.... I'm a yes martian.

Generally, I also understand a worker in Germany needs more salary than a Thialand worker.....
I quite like the idea of a BMW actually being built in Germany - not conceptualised in Germany and assembled in some exploited cheap labour economy. If that means paying a premium price for a premium product then so be it. What I really dislike is paying premium prices for shoddy products and service. To date I've never had to make a single warranty claim or return to the dealer for anything but a scheduled service. I've almost forgotten what I paid for the R9T and unless it (or the dealer) starts delivering problems I will probably buy another one.

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
215 Posts
I quite like the idea of a BMW actually being built in Germany - not conceptualised in Germany and assembled in some exploited cheap labour economy. If that means paying a premium price for a premium product then so be it. What I really dislike is paying premium prices for shoddy products and service. To date I've never had to make a single warranty claim or return to the dealer for anything but a scheduled service. I've almost forgotten what I paid for the R9T and unless it (or the dealer) starts delivering problems I will probably buy another one.
Yep much the same here... I don't really see BMW as a premium brand thing (I've had an expensive BMW vehicle ownership experience) ... especially in relation to "made in japan" stuff... it was the R nine t itself that sold me.... and any research would have told one that suspension may need some attention to meet a particular set of requirements (bikes been around a while now... so no real surprises) ... so that issue should(?) have been dealt with (in ones decision process) prior to purchase... so I don't tend to pay it much attention when people winge about it now days.

·
Registered
2021 Scrambler
215 Posts
Agree BMWMG! I am only average rider at best. So not too sure whether suspension is that bad or not. .....
I'm average at best also (but experienced and safe).... I've modded my 21 Scrambler suspension (new rear shock and front fork oil, spring and YSS emulator.... (say $1600aussie)... and I' don't find it "night and day".... however .... I'd sum it up as ... "the harshness has gone"... or " I no longer think about the suspension"..... or "I guess it feels somewhat refined now... but not plush"

·
Registered
831 Posts
"quite like the idea of a BMW actually being built in Germany - not conceptualised in Germany and assembled in some exploited cheap labour economy"

- Isn't the above comment posted earlier a part of the charm?
Prior to purchasing the R9T, I had taken a look at another Euro bike (hint: think parallel twin) that has either assembly or parts from Thailand and did find small differences in the quality of say handlebar levers and the like.
Not immediately obvious, but take a closer look at detail components and the difference is there.

·
Registered
2018 r9t scrambler
12 Posts
I was considering this exact question the other night while staring at my 9T for a few minutes before locking up her garage and turning out the lights for the night, as is my nightly routine. I have a 2020 that I bought new, and despite spending another 50% of the purchase price on top for suspension and other upgrades, I am happy and still don't think I'd be tempted to trade her for anything else even if I were offered 100% of the money I have spent as trade-in. It's a great bike that makes riding engaging and rewarding for me and the fact it's imperfect is also perfect.
i too sometimes find my myself staring at my 2018 scrambler... its fine art in a garage. enjoy

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
370 Posts
An simple question and complicated answer. There are a lot of factors involved. From the above it would seem most of us has owned many bikes and most owners enjoyed the toy. Irrespective of price. I had just as much fun from a 50 Dollar Suzuki RV 90 as I got from the latest 1250 GS or Panigale, even Harly or whatever brand. Personally, I try and save on purchase price, but often you have to look deep in your savings to get the later model bikes. I prefer buying the GS or GSA new. Good warranties, a bike that I often keep till high mileage and prefer to know ownership history. Recently you are not saving much buying second hand. The cheaper bikes are the more fun bikes, you ride them you break them you fix them. The simple answer: yes, it does live up to its price.

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
878 Posts
Bought the 2017 classic after shopping other brands. The quality of the build and its charm caught me, and I am still enjoying the thing no regrets. The only part that isn't genuine are the mirrors, couldn't handle the donkey ear looking stock mirrors.

·
Registered
164 Posts
For me the jury is still out. I have a 2020 classic model but thus far I have not put many miles on it. I bought mine new and got a decent deal on it as it was in dealer stock. I too like the fact that its made in its actual country of origin as it makes it the genuine article. I can't get my head around Thaimph's with the oh "so subtle" GB flag logo's on them. (Wife has a 2005 made in ENGLAND Thruxton 900 carb) I think the build quality is good, but not great. Some of the welds are just OK and some of the paint on the frame is not top end. Also the seat is awful and the suspension just about passable even on mine being the Classic/Roadster model with the supposed better suspension. However I like the engine, the looks, the brakes and the fact that they are not that common here in the UK. This is my first BMW and I suspect it will be my last bike.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I'm very pleased with mine and she's a joy to look at. I'm an average rider and feel very comfortable and safe on the bike. I may make modifications in the future to suit my driving style. Internet opinions have led many people astray in that they read someone else's comments and immediately think they need to do the same. I have seen such situations on BMW car forums, especially when it comes to exhausts and cold air intakes. People replace their exhaust systems looking for a combination of sound and performance gain. Mainly, they get an awful continual droning sound inside the cockpit. Not pleasant at all. I try to adjust myself to the bike or car and once I have figured things out that is when I make adjustments to suit me. Live and let live!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought a 2014 when they first came out. I thought, of all the bikes BMW made it gave you the least for the money. Nothing since has changed that opinion. I knew that going into the purchase but I wanted the bike so I bought it. I have changed many things on it and I enjoy it now more than ever. I’m fortunate to have several bikes and when I want to go solo I ride my 9T. If I wanted value I wouldn’t be riding any bikes or a 523 HP SUV, but they all make me smile.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts