BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have had I think 35 bikes in my time so I think I have a rough idea of what I'm talking about! I have the classic roadster model and on the roads here in the UK on the suggested suspension settings I am literally being bounced out of the seat. I think I bought a bike to be used in the UK roads by the way. Thanks for your sarcastic it really helped.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have had I think 35 bikes in my time so I think I have a rough idea of what I'm talking about! I have the classic roadster model and on the roads here in the UK on the suggested suspension settings I am literally being bounced out of the seat. I think I bought a bike to be used in the UK roads by the way. Thanks for your sarcastic it really helped.
Try adding a little (or a lot) more rebound damping at the rear. An aftermarket shock is the best solution but dialing in some extra rebound damping is free and can make a big difference IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Sad, I didn’t mean it to be tooo sarcastic just bit more realistic. Can I assume you road tested it before you bought it? Seems with your extensive experience that ride would be the first thing you'd notice I also ride a Classic with limited adjustments on the suspension but there are many options to make it mushy and lazy in the corners. Maybe a different route would help ….. or ride a bit slower …? and perhaps it’s just not the bike for your needs …….. BUT ..(in a somewhat humorous and light sarcastic tone).. by far the people here (forum) love this bike as do I … @DomNineT has a good point, I hope it works out for you ……Cheers……Blitz

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
@Fast H, Maybe you need a Big Bagger Harley Davidson …. It’s like an easy chair on two wheels with air shocks …..Your riding a Cafe’ racer capable of 140+ miles an hour …. That’s why it rides stiff …. We’re you expecting it to some how get softer after you left the dealership ? There are dozens of aftermarket suspensions available …. What kind of ride did you think you bought ?
You need to ride our roads then you’ll be Blitz ‘nicht’ schnell. It’s a totally different life here and also very wet to add to the pot holed roads.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
You need to ride our roads then you’ll be Blitz ‘nicht’ schnell. It’s a totally different life here and also very wet to add to the pot holed roads.
Thanks Tig, that sheds light on my limited awareness of motor ways in England. I’m thinking a much different machine might be in order … and some plump low pressure tires might make it more negotiable … but a Cafe’ machine ? The 9T over here is called a “rump-thumper” not a “road glide” ……… Blitz

·
Registered
22 Cosmic Scrambler (K23)
118 Posts
Yeah but you have yorkshire gold for much cheaper. I'm not much of a tea man, being a filthy colonist, but yorkshire gold straight from the pot with no cream or sugar (remember how I said I was a filthy colonist?) is like a taste of heaven.

And yes, the rear shock and the steering damper are both somewhat trash. All the compression damping in the world and none of the rebound, then the rebound comp when adjusted properly makes the shock crazy hard. It might work fairly well with 2-up riding, but then there's no real seat for your passenger. ZF should stick to making transmissions and stop producing shocks.

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Thanks Tig, that sheds light on my limited awareness of motor ways in England. I’m thinking a much different machine might be in order … and some plump low pressure tires might make it more negotiable … but a Cafe’ machine ? The 9T over here is called a “rump-thumper” not a “road glide” ……… Blitz
Hey I like that expression ‘rump thumper’!! Strangely enough I’m running on a lot lower pressure too definitely not what the crap handbook said, I’m on 30/35 psi and that takes the harsh grain out of it. In all fairness the best things over here are those urgh…. Ugly things called summat like G…. G……. GS’s Oh that hurt to say! The suspension travel is bang on with them but they are designed for the superior 8 feet tall blonde haired German chaps!

·
Registered
BMW R9T Urban G/S - Roadset
63 Posts
The suspension travel is bang on with them but they are designed for the superior 8 feet tall blonde haired German chaps!
😂
Lucky me, I'm blonde (well, gonna kind'a gray in some parts) haired but just 6.3 feet tall ... and so my 9t fits and is priceless for me 😁
Will never go for a Klingon Warbird.

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Option 719, Triumph Bobber
163 Posts
I found the rear shock was a bit crap. Its the only thing that really lets the bike down. Like you I was being kicked in the backside over bumps. The adjuster on mine (bought second hand with 800 miles) wouldn't move and I didn't want to force it. I swapped it out for a Nitron unit with a spring set for my weight. Its a substantial improvement, albeit not cheap. The front forks seem pretty good, but I fitted Nitron cartridges to them anyway (in for a penny and all that)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I found the rear shock was a bit crap. Its the only thing that really lets the bike down. Like you I was being kicked in the backside over bumps. The adjuster on mine (bought second hand with 800 miles) wouldn't move and I didn't want to force it. I swapped it out for a Nitron unit with a spring set for my weight. Its a substantial improvement, albeit not cheap. The front forks seem pretty good, but I fitted Nitron cartridges to them anyway (in for a penny and all that)
Which of their shocks did you go for? Regards

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
I have to agree with @Fast H in that, whilst the bike IMO does largely live up to it's price, the rear shock especially (on my 2014 bike) was borderline and did feel like a bit of a pogo stick. I fitted a Wilbers 642 and it gave a major improvement on our rubbish Scottish roads. Its the one thing that BMW really should change as it seems that later models (whilst the front end on Classics got a bit better) the rear end just got the same (or very similar) budget shock. Apart from that I do think my money was well-spent on my bike.

Reactions: Fast H

·
Registered
455 Posts
I can't understand why BMW fit such poor shockers, both front and rear. For the sake of £200ish after market spring sets transform the standard damper units, why not do that at the factory?

I fitted Hyperpro springs and transformed the ride. I wouldn't say that's all that's needed for everyone, but it suits me.

True I don't ride hard and fast and never go near a race track, but for touring it's all I need.

Oh and, nice rear shock Tig'.

HG

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
I can't understand why BMW fit such poor shockers, both front and rear. For the sake of £200ish after market spring sets transform the standard damper units, why not do that at the factory?

I fitted Hyperpro springs and transformed the ride. I wouldn't say that's all that's needed for everyone, but it suits me.

True I don't ride hard and fast and never go near a race track, but for touring it's all I need.

Oh and, nice rear shock Tig'.

HG
@Hardgravity ….I’m told it’s about price point where economic actuary’s decide exactly what dollar amount will attract the most buyers and then it’s up to the BMW engineers to decide where to cut corners to reach those numbers. I’m grateful that is something that can be easily un-bolted and upgraded and is not integral to the motorcycle. ……….. personally I would have paid more for the best but I’m in no way disappointed with what I got … I’m learning that people internationally face a wide and divrse array of road conditions … so what better place to provide a wide range of suspension options … I like my stiff “rump thumper” every time I approach a corner flat out … and fly through with confidence. There’s been far to little of that thrill in my moto history with other machines. This ride is a joy so I push a little harder every day. ………Blitz

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I learned the hard way, in 2008 bought a brand new HD Nightster (single seater) and never owned a HD before. I took one out on short test on good roads and enjoyed it far more than expected, I told them at the shop I want to ride two up and they then lent me another sportster with a dual seat. That rode well with my wife too but……………..
What the folks didn’t say was that the second bike had been fitted with premium suspension and other secret mods and they never explained in detail that I have to spend an eye watering premium on the new bike I just bought to make it fit for ‘UK roads’ !
I sold it after 2k miles in disgust at a loss and bought a Honda CB1300 which rode so smooth but by eck it was so Boring.
So…..R9T…
I knew I was going to make mine a ‘perfect keeper’ and priced it accordingly.
@BlitzSchnell yes Bmw made it easy to improve where they cut corners and like you said they chose the suspension option which is simple to replace and spec-ed subject to regional roads.

·
Registered
2018 R9T Classic
11 Posts
For me the jury is still out. I have a 2020 classic model but thus far I have not put many miles on it. I bought mine new and got a decent deal on it as it was in dealer stock. I too like the fact that its made in its actual country of origin as it makes it the genuine article. I can't get my head around Thaimph's with the oh "so subtle" GB flag logo's on them. (Wife has a 2005 made in ENGLAND Thruxton 900 carb) I think the build quality is good, but not great. Some of the welds are just OK and some of the paint on the frame is not top end. Also the seat is awful and the suspension just about passable even on mine being the Classic/Roadster model with the supposed better suspension. However I like the engine, the looks, the brakes and the fact that they are not that common here in the UK. This is my first BMW and I suspect it will be my last bike.
My first BMW also, and very disappointed with the basics i.e. suspension, seat, lack of fuel gauge etc, and some details such as pillion seat screw, wiring loom kink by the steering head etc. But enjoying the engine and drive, and brakes. Thought it unnecessarily noisy at first, but getting used to it now, and love the 'burble' when blipping the throttle on a down change!

·
Registered
164 Posts
My first BMW also, and very disappointed with the basics i.e. suspension, seat, lack of fuel gauge etc, and some details such as pillion seat screw, wiring loom kink by the steering head etc. But enjoying the engine and drive, and brakes. Thought it unnecessarily noisy at first, but getting used to it now, and love the 'burble' when blipping the throttle on a down change!
Wiring loom kink?

61 - 80 of 82 Posts