BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 BMW R Nine T Classic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share a selection of images from a recent track day here in the UK at Donnington Park. It was first track day on a motorcycle, so was super pleased I was able to get my knee down with the NineT with scraped hero blobs and knee sliders to prove it. Knee touched down on the second session once I had figured out how far I needed to hang my arse off to do it! Only my right knee touched down, I can't turn left to save my life, much like Zoolander...

Tire Wheel Helmet Motorcycle helmet Sports gear

Tire Wheel Vehicle Helmet Sports gear

Tire Wheel Motorcycle helmet Vehicle Sports gear

Tire Wheel Cloud Isle of man tt Sky

Tire Wheel Helmet Motorcycle helmet Sports gear

Almost got the heads down, but thankfully not! The hero blobs actually do a great job of keeping them from scraping...

Held my own with the 600's, did plenty of overtaking, but to be honest, there was a couple of adventure bikes there putting everyone to shame!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yep great fun isn't it :cool:
Have you got the bug now ?
I did my first track day at Phillip Island earlier this year with my lad on 1000rr's and loved it. Will be doing it again , it's just getting the time. I would love to do Donnington on my own bike. Good pics (y)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, great fun! Not sure how I feel about ragging the arse off my bike for a day a couple of times per year (I hope to do at least two per year) - hopefully she can take it.

I had to fight off the thought of trading her for a 1000r because I felt I was easily hitting her limits on the track, but I'm trying to weigh up how much I enjoy riding the NineT on the roads, how she looks/sounds Vs how often I'd go to a track. Plus, I can stare at a picture of a 1000r and not be inspired in the same way as my NineT.

I'd love to own two bikes of course, one for the track, one for the road...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing the pics. Donnington one of my favourite track in the UK. Done loads of car track days never done a bike day there. Which company did you go with?
It was with MSV Track days.

Couldn't fault it tbh - everyone super friendly and experienced bikers really chuffed to see novice bikers scrub the outer regions of their tyres for the first time.

Garages were free. Just rock up, unload and have fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just thought I'd share a selection of images from a recent track day here in the UK at Donnington Park. It was first track day on a motorcycle, so was super pleased I was able to get my knee down with the NineT with scraped hero blobs and knee sliders to prove it. Knee touched down on the second session once I had figured out how far I needed to hang my arse off to do it! Only my right knee touched down, I can't turn left to save my life, much like Zoolander...

View attachment 154960

View attachment 154961

View attachment 154962

View attachment 154963

View attachment 154964

Almost got the heads down, but thankfully not! The hero blobs actually do a great job of keeping them from scraping...

Held my own with the 600's, did plenty of overtaking, but to be honest, there was a couple of adventure bikes there putting everyone to shame!
these are awesome man! didnt know you could track these!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
these are awesome man! didnt know you could track these!!!
I think a lot of people there were surprised to see me flying past them to be honest, but why not? I've got plenty of horses, loads of torque and hypersport tyres!

Definitely not the fastest bike there, but I had just as much fun as everyone else ☺.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thats what its all about! as long as you had fun! i just picked my 20' 9T pure and have been snooping through the forum for ideas on builds ive got the itch to start modding it. just need to get some direction!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love that place, I did a track day there on my Ducati 1098 few years back. jeez I scared the living daylights out of myself coming down the Craner curves, but what I found scary was the blind entry into Coppice corner

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
433 Posts
Maybe it’s time I did one on the 9T too as it looks fun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love that place, I did a track day there on my Ducati 1098 few years back. jeez I scared the living daylights out of myself coming down the Craner curves, but what I found scary was the blind entry into Coppice corner
Craner curves are fantastically windy and amazing fun - my favourite part of the circuit. I also really like Coppice - you can really wind the speed up coming out of that corner onto the straight with a slight dip in it that lifts your front wheel slightly.

I just couldn't get the hang of Goddards corner as it's a leftie.

I'd like to do Bedford Autodrome as it's anti clockwise and I can practice leaning to the left.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe it’s time I did one on the 9T too as it looks fun.
It is!

People will appreciate the bike too. I got a thumbs up from one of the guys as I went belting past him.

There was a range of bikes there in the novice group. A trio of adventure bikes and one guy on a Ducati Diavel, so I didn't feel out of place.

·
Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
433 Posts
Just a thought, do you need full leathers for a track day as I don’t have any?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One piece or two piece with full zip together - no gaps. Also back protector is compulsory now - can be the foam type as long as it's CE approved. Also, your bike must be fitted with a brake guard. I bought the Oberon Performance one from Pier City Customs as it comes with the BMW threaded adapter.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Donny is a cracker......I was there only a fortnight ago.......but not for track action this time, but to see the mighty KISS at the Download festival.

Yeah great fun grinding away the hero blobs......the brake pedal will go down before the cylinder heads @jonnoMK, so worry not!!!

Reactions: jonnoMK

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking of hero blobs, has anyone got a reasonable source for replacements? The same ones if possible. I'm guessing dealer at £20 a pop or something..

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
IIRC, genuine hero blobs were £9 each last time I bought some.

They use a 6mm thread, so you could search ebay/amazon or wherever for aftermarket replacements.....or if you're feeling really naughty get some titanium allen bolts and watch the sparks fly!!!!

Reactions: jonnoMK
1 - 20 of 23 Posts