BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently filled my 9T with supermarket E10 fuel and noticed immediately afterwards what seemed like Pinking. This was under load accelerating. Is this possible? Would the ECU not adapt to a poorer fuel? Has anyone else come across this?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I assuming you mean premature detonation, or pinging? Is it during idle or when lugging or otherwise?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We call it pinking in the UK, same thing though. Its under load, accelerating hard. E10 is new to the UK so i haven't used it before. Ethanol, nasty stuff.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ahhhh! The scourge and shame of E10 has spread across the pond! So sorry 😧

·
Registered
346 Posts
Low octane or stale fuel will cause detonation or "pinging", if its bad enough it can cause top end damage to the motor. I use the highest octane non-ethanol fuel I can find and as a back up I have a can of 104 racing fuel to mix in just to keep the ping away. Ethanol in the fuel does accelerate the degradation of the fuel which results in the octane level dropping.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Low octane or stale fuel will cause detonation or "pinging", if its bad enough it can cause top end damage to the motor. I use the highest octane non-ethanol fuel I can find and as a back up I have a can of 104 racing fuel to mix in just to keep the ping away. Ethanol in the fuel does accelerate the degradation of the fuel which results in the octane level dropping.
Neither of which have anything to do with the OP's situation. Phase separation takes a long time to occur, especially in a full tank.

I don't really get this thing against Ethanol. Used correctly, which means not allowing it to macerate for months in a near empty tank, it's perfectly fine.

Fuel lines and systems have been engineered to take it for ages.

Even the manual says it's fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can i send a vid/audio? Nope i dont have that tech im afraid. As for people being against Ethanol, thats fine if you run a modern bike and want to use crops that people coiuld eat, very different if you have vintage Bikes as i do. To me its the Devils work:devilish: :poop:
I would presume that there is an octane difference to E5? If so would the ECU not compensate for this?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Can i send a vid/audio? Nope i dont have that tech im afraid. As for people being against Ethanol, thats fine if you run a modern bike and want to use crops that people coiuld eat, very different if you have vintage Bikes as i do. To me its the Devils work:devilish: :poop:
I would presume that there is an octane difference to E5? If so would the ECU not compensate for this?
You could upload your video or audio recording to a google drive and paste the link in a post here.

Avoiding ethanol with vintage bikes and cars makes perfect sense to preserve fuel lines, of course, but it's absolutely fine on anything remotely contemporary. I think that all cars fuel lines were made ethanol proof in the 90's.

Adding ethanol will increase the octane rating, not reduce it, so it will diminish the risk of pinging. Remember, ethanol on its own has an octane rating of 113.

Now, we could discuss whether adding ethanol to gasoline is a sound environmental choice or not, but ethanol/gasoline blends have been both theoretically and empirically proven to be harmless to modern engines for a while now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I recently filled my 9T with supermarket E10 fuel and noticed immediately afterwards what seemed like Pinking. This was under load accelerating. Is this possible? Would the ECU not adapt to a poorer fuel? Has anyone else come across this?
I've not used E10 yet and will likely try and avoid it if easily done. I use supermarket Super unleaded if it is available. I have had issues in the past with poor fuel from supermarkets but couldn't honestly state that it wouldn't have happened at regular petrol stations.
What I do know is that fuel has recipies dependant on the client't request and what I do know is that the fuel additives are not always added correctly by the computer controlled additive instrumentation. So, maybe just bad petrol from that supermarket that day?
Another fill up from another source will likely answer the question then you need to decide where you fill up from after that
Like I said you maybe were just unlucky that day like possibly many motorists that day at that particular supermarket.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use E10 in my pure and she seems happy with it.

I first used it in France in 2019 and found the cost saving far outweighed any 'side effects', to be honest there was no difference between the E5 and E10 fuels (except 10cents per liter in favour of the '10)

UK E10 works just fine, but we don't get the saving, they're just charging the same as E5 was!

As for the OP, firstly, how old and what model is your bike? There shouldn't be any problem with any 9Ts but..
Secondly, was it a reputable supermarket with a large fuel turn over? if the pinking persists then a plug check will show if the mixture is wrong, in which case visit you're friendly dealer.

HG

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will re fuel and try again. As you say i could have been unlucky with some dodgy fuel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know this shouldn't affect us with steel/aluminium tanks but in the past I had one of the first generation multistrada's (plastic tank) and I was ultra cautious about ethanol - lots of owne
rs had used it and it caused their tanks to swell over time - the upshot being they couldn't remove the tank easily when it came to servicing or alternatively they started leaking fuel. It doesn't mix well with certain plastics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts