BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Nine T Scrambler
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, 3°C, after 15km of riding, my engine stalled during traffic, it was totally my fault, nothing to worry on this side.
BUT...
when I tried to start it again, no chance, the starter was making a clonk and nothing.
I had to push the motorbike on the curb and wait for a few very long minutes to manage to start it.

My Husqvarna had trouble stating again after a stall if cold, is there something known for the R9T?

·
Administrator
12,908 Posts
I'm guessing it's that perennial favourite - the battery - that will be the root cause of this one.

Could also be a poor battery connection so check battery terminals, and the battery earth to the engine crank case. Outside chance of starter motor solenoid too...

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
The bike is brand new
It may not be the age of the battery but the tightness of the terminals, add that to the weather and it compounds the problem. Start at the battery and throughly tighten the connections… then track each wire both positive and negative and tighten any connections you find along the path. Dave has it right …. It’s the battery. …….Blitz

·
Administrator
12,908 Posts
The bike is brand new
Its not unheard of to get a faulty battery straight out of the box. Do you ride the bike daily? Do you have it on a battery trickle charger when not in use? @BlitzSchnell has given you some relevant things to check too.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
656 Posts
To which I’d say, just let the dealership figure it out under warranty?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I saw even brand new bikes their batteries go from "Good" to broken in days.

If the battery is weak / faulty it will fail within a few days as soon as the cold sets in. Specially now with the winter starting it can go very fast.

Then the battery is also really 'Broken' and cannot be restored/charged again.. sadly.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
To which I’d say, just let the dealership figure it out under warranty?
Well put Norbi … but for me anyway that’s a pain, I’d have to trailer it and tow it about 15 miles …. Maybe it could be jumped just to get it started and to the dealership …. Let’s hope it’s something simple ……..Blitz

·
Registered
Nine T Scrambler
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think the batterie is the cause. I had no trouble starting the engine neither on the morning, neither after work. Nothing this morning too.
It happen on a traffic stall, the engine was warm but I couldn't start right agin. After a couple of atempts, I waited a few minutes and it started like nothing happened.
I wanted to try to reproduce it this morning by cuting the engine and starting it again when arriving at work but I forgot.
For information, I ride every day.

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler, to be bought
226 Posts
I have this with my car too sometimes. when it is not fully warmed up and stalled or switched off if doesn't like starting... it seems there is a sweet spot for a particular temperature that the engine doesn't like...

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I don't think the batterie is the cause. I had no trouble starting the engine neither on the morning, neither after work. Nothing this morning too. It happen on a traffic stall, the engine was warm but I couldn't start right agin. After a couple of atempts, I waited a few minutes and it started like nothing happened. I wanted to try to reproduce it this morning by cuting the engine and starting it again when arriving at work but I forgot.
I went through three weeks of completely identical intermittent problems Midnaite that ended up relating to one thing, a connection at my battery that a dealership mechanic failed to tighten up after a maintenance issue. I was going nuts trying to figure out what was happening. It wouldn’t fail with any consistency to give away the problem. It could happen three times in a day and then not at all for several days. It was always began with a starting issue but seemed to have nothing to do with how hot or cold the engine. It became apparent that it was an electrical malfunction when a simple start failure began to evolved into intermittent instrument failure and electrical reset or restart, as though I’d turned off and on the key except the reboot would not clear the clocks, they wouldn't reset to zero. I was out riding as I do daily… like you, stopped at a red light and it died as though I’d turned off the key. I attempted to restart and got nothing, a second later after doing nothing the clocks reset with power on and I tried again to restart and it went dead once more … I took a stick and pushed the side of the battery and with great pressure got it to move just a little and once again she came to life but this time with enough continuity to deliver sufficient amperage to turn the starter. I made it home and immediately opened access to the battery ..(for the first time I removed the gas tank).. and found a snug but not super tight battery terminal. I corrected it by cleaning the contacts, tightening it throughly and have had no issues since. You’re absolutely correct that it might not be a battery issue but from my perspective it’s time to look, eliminate the possibility. The starter is installed by a competent BMW mechanic at the factory with a regulated impact tool set for that purpose, the odds of an electrical failure are low. However the battery is installed at the dealership by who knows who … note that the battery terminals have a hex head bolt for strong leverage to connect the terminals, but there is also a Phillips head slot in the top as well, not so much leverage with that … which do you suspect was selected by the newest member of the mechanics team whose the least experienced mechanic in the shop and assigned to un-crate and set up the new bikes? His name is probably Phillip. Check it out and end the speculation. Good luck mate, removing the tank the first time seems difficult but it really isn’t. Get used to it, it’s the gateway to almost everything … it will quickly become second nature to you, dig in ! Cheers Mate. Let us know what you find. There are many threads on this forum about tank removal. The secret lies in the quick disconnects of the fuel lines from the tank, it’s easy, read up and go for it. BMW’s are well known for their dependability, New mechanic wannabe’s named Phillip, not so much …..………Blitz …..StayUpOn2

Reactions: Norbi

·
Registered
21 R9T
73 Posts
I don't think the batterie is the cause. I had no trouble starting the engine neither on the morning, neither after work. Nothing this morning too.
It happen on a traffic stall, the engine was warm but I couldn't start right agin. After a couple of atempts, I waited a few minutes and it started like nothing happened.
I wanted to try to reproduce it this morning by cuting the engine and starting it again when arriving at work but I forgot.
Mine did that on my way home from the dealer first ride. I put it down to the baffles(now gone) caused a low speed stall. But when it wouldn't start and I had to wait, I thought "didn't know you can flood an injected bike". I think it's either the MAP sensor or manifold pressure that gets a bad read and sulks for a while. Best bet is don't get in that situation, just like when I found the sweet spot for a tank slapper - won't do that again. Going to put a very well positioned hole in my air box snorkel to let a little low speed air from under the tank to aid low RPM operation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, had the same symtoms on my Triumph. It got worse after washing the bike or when riding in wet conditions. No problem with the battery or terminals, never lost voltage. Turned out to be a loose connection in one of the cable shoes under the starter relay. 🙏

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
@BlitzSchnell I'll check that
But for now, I live in an appartment and I have no good place to do than kind of operatio.
I have planned to buy a house with a proper garage next year.
For now the R9T sleeps outside under a tarp.
Oh my goodness NO … that’s tragic. A tarp will trap all the humidity and it will condense all deep inside the bike. At the very LEAST it will rust everything. Did you say the bike was new? Well it won’t be new for very long. A machine like that deserves much better. You try sleeping under a tarp for a week and see how it affects you … that’s sad Midnaite. Build a bike shed. Below see a link to a video of what I did with plastic pipe to protect Blitz for about four months while I built my bike shed. Note that there is a waterproof plastic cover on top that repels the rain but porous canvas around the sides so the water vapor trapped inside can evaporate as soon as the sun warms it up … if you trap the vapor inside it will rust EVERYTHING …Noooo

·
Registered
21 R9T
73 Posts
@BlitzSchnell I'll check that
But for now, I live in an appartment and I have no good place to do than kind of operatio.
I have planned to buy a house with a proper garage next year.
For now the R9T sleeps outside under a tarp.
Slow and steady wins the race! You could remove the exhaust cover plates and get yourself a rechargeable die grinder or dremel tool, take her down the road and have a nibble at it. No rush just keep your eye on the prize. Then baffles be gone.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Slow and steady wins the race! You could remove the exhaust cover plates and get yourself a rechargeable die grinder or dremel tool, take her down the road and have a nibble at it. No rush just keep your eye on the prize. Then baffles be gone.
I agree, Down with Baffels .. Up with Waffels .. Waffels and Maple Syrup .. Blitz 🧇🧇🧇
After a 1ton to Starbucks it’s off to the Waffel House ! Enjoy, or what’s the point ..!
Midnaite man, it’s about an hour maybe first time an hour and a half operation start to finish. It does two things (perhaps) 1st it familiarize’s you with your machine, the more familiar the more confident you’ll ride your machine. 2nd it may actually fix the problem and make your daily ride a much more confident ride knowing you’ll get home ….. there’s nothing you can’t do because we can’t talk you through. Get to know that girl and stand tall in the saddle.
StayUpOn2 Midnaite … take care of that girl ………..Blitz

·
Registered
71 Posts
im assuming that you are in a bit of panic mode. don't worry and you are not alone. Im riding for over 20 yrs and sometimes you will get stalled if you are thinking of something that satisfies you and ended up you fucked up. in this case, this bike needs to be clutched fully engaged. fully 4 finger pressed all the way then press start.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts