BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may seem like overkill, but I've tossed a bike into the bush more than once. Besides, they radiate "I'm almost bad ass despite being the bike brand of nerds everywhere". I bought some engine guards off Amazon (I know, I know) and not as quickly as I'd like, I learned that I got what I paid for. The wrong spacers, none of the needed washers, etc. Some of this was learned the hard way.

So... who is running both engine guards and valve cover guards?

Given a choice, I prefer the Hepco Becker guards, but I don't know if they fit with the valve cover guards.

The SW-Motech are decidedly unappealing with how low they hang. I don't need to scrape more things.

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R9T Pure
145 Posts
I would ask machine art moto and hepco Becker. I've spoken to both those outfits before. When I called they were as helpful as they could be. I don't know if they can answer your questions, but it's a starting place.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have SW Motech crash bars and I'd bet there is enough space for both (although I started a warranty replacement process with mine). I know it's possible, I've seen photos of bikes with both guards.

You are probably safe enough with just the covers and a low deductible on your insurance plan.

·
Registered
237 Posts
"who is running both engine guards and valve cover guards?"

- For me, valve cover guards only.
IMHO the engine guards have an "industrial" look. From previous experience on another bike, I have found that if the bike is dumped, the engine guards either snap without providing much protection or they transfer the stress of the "dump" to the fastening points (in that case, an out of alignment down tube)

"be free from the gravity of expectation"

·
Registered
64 Posts
"who is running both engine guards and valve cover guards?"

- For me, valve cover guards only.
IMHO the engine guards have an "industrial" look. From previous experience on another bike, I have found that if the bike is dumped, the engine guards either snap without providing much protection or they transfer the stress of the "dump" to the fastening points (in that case, an out of alignment down tube)

"be free from the gravity of expectation"
If the drop will be so hard that to cause an out of alignment down tube then I don't think it'll be any safer if the engine would take that hit instead. But I might be wrong...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts