BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the Pit Bull Front and Rear lifters, but sometime you just need to lift the bike by the engine to take weight off the forks or swingarm, and sometimes it's just easier. I never liked the idea of lifting by the engine sump with a piece of wood to pad, knowing that the bike was engineered with specific engine lift points, otherwise why would they bother? And a cracked sump would be a catastrophic problem if it was a problem at all. So I whipped up a steel lifting bracket where the steel pin pops into the front slot to support the bike from the front lifting point. Then made two aluminum supports that screw into the two rear engine lift points, and to be extra safe, I recessed the bolts into the spacers so that when the plate is supporting the engine from the two reinforced rear lift points, the aluminum spacers bear all the weight and the threads on the bolts support zero weight (so no chance of stripping from too few threads). Works on my R1200GS to boot! I bought too much material so could make more. What it lacks in finish beauty it makes up for with thick steel heft.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Very nice! What do they use in the workshop? Can you buy a specific plate from BMW or do they have a universal mount? Only asking out of curiosity, your plate looks awesome.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine Lift Plate

Very nice! What do they use in the workshop? Can you buy a specific plate from BMW or do they have a universal mount? Only asking out of curiosity, your plate looks awesome.
Thanks! I would imagine BMW has something fancier than wood pad under the sump, but I don't know. I just use this plate with a regular harbor freight bike lift - with a few straps you can slide in around with stability, and push/pull on things like wheels and it's pretty stable. There is a much more professional looking german one (thin steel plate) that looks like it locks into a lift, which would be pretty cool, but I like the price of my caveman version.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Careful! I made my own plate and bolted it to the sump of my R 9 T - then used my Harley trolley jack to lift the bike... The center of gravity was totally off and the bike's front lifted much too high (wheelie position)! I had to weld extensions on to the back of the plate extending the plate by 80mm towards the rear so that the trolley jack could be moved nearer to the rear wheel. It now works and the bike is "stable" once off the ground. (I can post pics if needed)

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
They make an adapter plate. I've never actually seen one in use at a BMW shop. Generally just a piece of wood. I also purchased the plate for my NineT at one point, but never used it (bought a center stand that was easier). Either way, some great home engineering by the OP.

·
Registered
167 Posts
They make an adapter plate. I've never actually seen one in use at a BMW shop. Generally just a piece of wood. I also purchased the plate for my NineT at one point, but never used it (bought a center stand that was easier). Either way, some great home engineering by the OP.
Which center stand did you get? I'm considering an Abba, or for similar money a MotoPro scissor jack and the BMW adapter plate... I'm interested you say the stand is easier?

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
Which center stand did you get? I'm considering an Abba, or for similar money a MotoPro scissor jack and the BMW adapter plate... I'm interested you say the stand is easier?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great thanks! Expensive shipping to Australia! But I don't think I have any other options..

I've read some people claim the holes on the sump are not good for mounting. You are obviuosly happy and have had no issues?

·
Super Moderator
3,225 Posts
Great thanks! Expensive shipping to Australia! But I don't think I have any other options..
Oh yes you do . . . Cool Little Portable Centerstand
Read from my post #16 onwards. Local Australian supplier. 👍

I've read some people claim the holes on the sump are not good for mounting. You are obviuosly happy and have had no issues?
Please don't open that can-o-worms, it has been discussed extensively on the forum, probably already in the thread linked to above!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts