BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Once I removed and striped the engine from 911, fully rebuild and put it back. When my mates came to the garage and see that parts they told that I idiot and never put that motor together.... but I done it and run that car for few more years without issue, anyway...
I want to ask how complicated to remove R9T engine and what I need for that like stand, jack etc? The biggest problem is that I don't have the garage or any other place except communal garden.
is the engine come out itself or I have to remove rear drive shaft with the wheel first?
Thanks

Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
The Engine is a structural element of the bike, I believe you have to remove the front and rear frame first.... Have a look a the bike schemes at realoem.com

Reactions: GhostRider

Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
The Engine is a structural element of the bike, I believe you have to remove the front and rear frame first.... Have a look a the bike schemes at realoem.com
Correct. The front and rear frames are removed from the engine as opposed to the engine being removed from the frame.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Let's go back one step. Why do you need to remove the engine? Almost any repair can be done with the engine in the frame.
The gear box is cracked and need welding.
Left lower bolt which attach frame to engine case is broken( hole in engine) need to be repaired or case to be change.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
whats meant front and rear frame? frame is only one and one rear subframe as I aware

Super Moderator
2017 Pure

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Today I could not manage to start my crashed bike, engine turning but make scary noise because after the hit into the left cylinder the engine and gear box have a split so I believe the shaft in the gear box is partly out and splines sleeping somehow. I just don't know from where to start. Obviously I can sell the bike on salvage auction again with a big loss but still have little hope to put it back on the road....
A few maybe silly questions:
Can I start the engine if I take gear box out?
How complicated the job to take out rear subframe with drive shaft?
What do I need, jack or lift etc?
I intend to do it just in communal garden... have no garage or place etc, my neighbours just damn me for sure.

Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
Sorry to be frank, are you sure you can do it alone? Reading at your questions an plans I doubt it. I mean, before embarking in such enterprise, I would have at least found a repair manual, studied how the bike is constructed, plan the repair, storage, potential list of parts to buy...
I'm afraid it will end up in you laying your bike taken apart and not be able to put it back together... We haven't talked about proper tools etc...

Registered
Today I could not manage to start my crashed bike, engine turning but make scary noise because after the hit into the left cylinder the engine and gear box have a split so I believe the shaft in the gear box is partly out and splines sleeping somehow. I just don't know from where to start. Obviously I can sell the bike on salvage auction again with a big loss but still have little hope to put it back on the road....
A few maybe silly questions:
Can I start the engine if I take gear box out?
How complicated the job to take out rear subframe with drive shaft?
What do I need, jack or lift etc?
I intend to do it just in communal garden... have no garage or place etc, my neighbours just damn me for sure.
Where in the UK are you mate?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to be frank, are you sure you can do it alone? Reading at your questions an plans I doubt it. I mean, before embarking in such enterprise, I would have at least found a repair manual, studied how the bike is constructed, plan the repair, storage, potential list of parts to buy...
I'm afraid it will end up in you laying your bike taken apart and not be able to put it back together... We haven't talked about proper tools etc...
No you are not right my friend but thanks for your respond!))
Just ask for the tips not the explanation step by step. Propa tools probably needed if you play with Ferrary not with bike.
I"ve done many different projects but a bit stuck with this because it became unexpected as most things coming from salvage auction nowadays, they turned to propa scummers for last year or so.
To strip the bike its not problem but I need to know if I can START the bike with gearbox out. As this bike have to components: engine and separate gear box so in my case each must be tested separately because both have a sign of damage and I don't know what exactly happen with bike after the collision because Copart buying the motors from insurance and trying to make them working to rise the price and very often make the problem even bigger.
As I told earlier I did full engine rebuild in my 911 and all my mates have the same reaction as you had, like you never put this engine together....but that car done more then 50K after my job and make a smile on face of the new owner.))))

I glad to get any tips but please no pessimistic stuff because I really start to hate all stuff related to BMW, thanks guys

Administrator
I can't think of a reason why the engine could not be started with the gearbox removed. However I'm no mechanic... Perhaps someone more technically competent than me can answer this.

Have you checked the spark plugs for sparking and can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on? Might be worth removing an injector and see if it sprays fuel (into an old jam jar or similar to catch fuel).

Did the bike sound like it was trying to fire up or was the engine just turning over on the starter motor with no sounds of ignition?

I glad to get any tips but please no pessimistic stuff because I really start to hate all stuff related to BMW, thanks guys
I hear you, but its not the bike's fault that it was in an accident mate, you can't blame BMW for not withstanding what appears to have been a major impact. No offence intended, just making a respectful observation.

Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
Good luck then :)

Reactions: Andrey

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Annoying that I can not find any information, only general advice. I finish BMW saga with E39 after models are just mass production cars as any other makes....

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I can't think of a reason why the engine could not be started with the gearbox removed. However I'm no mechanic... Perhaps someone more technically competent than me can answer this.

Have you checked the spark plugs for sparking and can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on? Might be worth removing an injector and see if it sprays fuel (into an old jam jar or similar to catch fuel).

Did the bike sound like it was trying to fire up or was the engine just turning over on the starter motor with no sounds of ignition?

I hear you, but its not the bike's fault that it was in an accident mate, you can't blame BMW for not withstanding what appears to have been a major impact. No offence intended, just making a respectful observation.
I wrote above the engine and gearbox are split after bike hit into left cylinder so I pressume that the gearbox shaft bended or splines are damaged so when the engine turns it make horrible noise. Will drop the pictures for better understanding. Thank you

1 - 20 of 27 Posts