BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
HD Rocker FXCWC; Scrambler, to be bought
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was comparing various skidplates for buying when my Scrambler comes in and collected the following options, I did a search but could not find a thread that compared/showed the different available engine skid plates, so here goes:

BMW OEM version:

The Unit Garage:

The SW Tech Version:

The EvoTech version;

The Wunderlich Version:

And last the Hepco & Becke Version:

They are all in the price region of 200-220Eur, all made from 4mm Aluminium (note spelling), and all come with mounting hardware.

I like the ones with drainholes and open structure, no collection of dirt/sand even when only riding on the road (Wunderlich and EvoTech). I also prefer to have the front cross pipe protected (H&B, Evo, SW and W/Lich)

Both the W/lich and the Evo seem to extend a little further back too.

So for the Wunderlich would be my preferred option.

Robert

·
Registered
406 Posts
In my case OEM version I decided to modify it in order to look like Hepcko. Front wheel with short mudguard do not avoid dirty, salt, mud, water etc in front breast plate .

If I had to buy again I think I would choose Hepcko and I drill it some holes to drain and evacuate water. Sand etc.

Here you can see how I did mine.

·
Registered
2015 R NineT K21
143 Posts
I wonder how the Chinese eBay version compares to the more known brands? Seems like they can be had in the $65-90 USD range. Over the years Chinese manufacturing has greatly improved from the earlier years.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I have the (older) 1200GS version on my Scrambler. With patience on ebay incl. mounting hardware you may find it from a GS rider who didn't consider the OEM sufficient for street duty (no Norbi, not you ;-) for under $100. IMHO no need to buy it new.
Hood Automotive lighting Sports equipment Helmet Automotive tire

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was comparing various skidplates for buying when my Scrambler comes in and collected the following options, I did a search but could not find a thread that compared/showed the different available engine skid plates, so here goes:

BMW OEM version:

View attachment 146699

The Unit Garage:

View attachment 146700
The SW Tech Version:

View attachment 146701

The EvoTech version;

View attachment 146702

The Wunderlich Version:

View attachment 146703

And last the Hepco & Becke Version:

View attachment 146704

They are all in the price region of 200-220Eur, all made from 4mm Aluminium (note spelling), and all come with mounting hardware.

I like the ones with drainholes and open structure, no collection of dirt/sand even when only riding on the road (Wunderlich and EvoTech). I also prefer to have the front cross pipe protected (H&B, Evo, SW and W/Lich)

Both the W/lich and the Evo seem to extend a little further back too.

So for the Wunderlich would be my preferred option.

Robert
I have the (older) 1200GS version on my Scrambler. With patience on ebay incl. mounting hardware you may find it from a GS rider who didn't consider the OEM sufficient for street duty (no Norbi, not you ;-) for under $100. IMHO no need to buy it new.
View attachment 146747

Hi I wud stay away from all those rip off agents. All the dedicated aftermarket suppliers and MOTORAD itself charge extortionist prefixes for parts. Hundreds of dollars. I did a little research and found exactly the same products, made of same materials, and often cut to very same pattern for a fraction of the price and have found them to be good quality, reliable and just as good as those rip of versions we are pushed towards.
Fir example....engine bash plate - from wunderlich or the like - $3-400 approx. same exact thing via ALIBABA $30-40.
Same with tail tidys. U can buy a high priced unit that Is made using the same very cheap led strip lights supplied via alibaba or eBay, or u can just buy the strip and fix a way to fix it firmly to rear of yr bike. I’ve done this and am very happy with result. Cost- about 10 bucks.
Photos available if wanted.

Good luck. If yr loaded, no problem, but it gets to me seeing the 500% mark ups that these guys are putting on parts and accessirariez.

Cheers
Pmac

·
Registered
299 Posts
Tip: if you want the pipes to stay nice and clean, use the OEM plate.
You will always have to disassemble the others or if you don't, you will hurt your fingers while cleaning.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,501 Posts
Nice job compiling all that, @Chopper_Bob ! (y)

I'm a road only rider but opted to add a skid plate after I noticed a dent in my center cross-pipe pretty much exactly here the dent is on @ganderx 's bike. The Evotech skid plate I bought - being more of an open top kind - might not protect against more dents at near the top of that pipe, but it will protect the bottom of the pipes and my engine case. It also looks kind of cool on there in my opinion.

If you're going for maximum protection, it looks like the SW-Motech version would be the best, as it wraps around that center cross-pipe more than the others. But regardless of which you choose, they're all better than having nothing skid plate at all if you're taking your bike off pavement.

·
Premium Member
2018 R Nine T Urban GS
37 Posts
I have played in some rocky stuff on my bike when following my kids in the desert (see my pix) and although I knew I needed a skid plate I opted for a more budget friendly item that did not disappoint.
I've had her on top of some fairly pointy rocks and walked around a bit and although the plate has gotten some good scratches it has not deformed or dented and it protected all the tender bits quite well.
Also these images don't seem to show it well but the plate angles up a little on the side and comes out enough to protect the side exhaust from hitting too.
Very happy with it especially for ~$75.00
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Landscape Motor vehicle

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have played in some rocky stuff on my bike when following my kids in the desert (see my pix) and although I knew I needed a skid plate I opted for a more budget friendly item that did not disappoint.
I've had her on top of some fairly pointy rocks and walked around a bit and although the plate has gotten some good scratches it has not deformed or dented and it protected all the tender bits quite well.
Very happy with it especially for ~$75.00
View attachment 146854
View attachment 146855
I like the little bell!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone I move my question here I think it is the right section. then my question is this is the BMW OEM version skid plates suitable for a classic r9T 2021 ??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello everyone I move my question here I think it is the right section. then my question is this is the BMW OEM version skid plates suitable for a classic r9T 2021 ??
The BMW parts catalogue shows that the OEM skid plate is suitable for the Scrambler and the Urban G/S, it does not mention any other NineT variants

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Found another interesting one, in Carbon from ILBERGER, at a price though, 500Eur (cough, cough). Also I would wonder if this would be sufficient impact resistant, it looks nice though....

Automotive tire Hood Product Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
11 Posts
Different underbelly?
according to what is reported by the unitgarage site, it seems that there are no differences regarding the lower part of the engine:

the same engine guard is also found in the catalog for the ninet scrambler

the mystery deepens...:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts